cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hurricane Matthew/Myrtle Beach

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Does anybody know how the Myrtle Beach area fared during Matthew? Lots of press on NC but very little on the news about South Carolina. We had planned a mid-winter escape for early 2017.......:E

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B
17 REPLIES 17

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
weathershak wrote:
bakerkids wrote:
weathershak wrote:
Ocean Lakes faired the storm very well. They did a great job on their Facebook page with pictures and description of repairs. They had heavy equipment ready right after the storm to patch the beach area up. Kudos to the great staff at Ocean Lakes.

Are you presently there? Huntington Beach has cancelled half of our stay, and some members of our group spoke with someone on the phone who says the other days will be cancelled as well. I am wondering about trying to stay at Ocean Lakes or Lakewood, but wondering about the roads, beach, and surrounding area. We were to arrive a week from Saturday. Any feedback is appreciated.

Ocean Lakes web site clicky

Ocean Lakes is up and running. Water park is closed until spring 2017 but the indoor and outdoor pools are open. Very much worth the trip for a true ocean view right from most of the ocean front sites now, since the dunes got knocked down a bit.
Full timing it since July 2012

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
bakerkids wrote:
weathershak wrote:
Ocean Lakes faired the storm very well. They did a great job on their Facebook page with pictures and description of repairs. They had heavy equipment ready right after the storm to patch the beach area up. Kudos to the great staff at Ocean Lakes.

Are you presently there? Huntington Beach has cancelled half of our stay, and some members of our group spoke with someone on the phone who says the other days will be cancelled as well. I am wondering about trying to stay at Ocean Lakes or Lakewood, but wondering about the roads, beach, and surrounding area. We were to arrive a week from Saturday. Any feedback is appreciated.

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
The rivers are still rising, South of the Bounder was under water. Mullins & Nichols still under water. Piers destroyed. A lot of damage here.

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
Beaches and Camping on the beach got hammered. call before coming

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
weathershak wrote:

Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

chast
Explorer II
Explorer II
HI again--just came through MB on RT 17 heading south. Lots of damage, trees down, power company working on electric lines, etc. but roads were fine with no detours. I would call the place where you are planning to be and make sure, but it looked like everything was up and running.
chartrue2@aol.com

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer

Community Alumni
Not applicable
No, unfortunately we've never had the opportunity to camp there. I've only ever been there many years ago when I used to do business in the area and stayed in hotels.

... Eric

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBaker, I apologize if I asked you this before...do you camp in and around Lambeau? We haven't since they tore down the Road Star, K-Mart, etc., but hope to go to the other side behind the Sideline.
1 shih tzu
Our photos

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, PackerBacker! Myrtle Beach Travel Park is our most likely choice.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Myrtle Beach Travel Park have provided their status on their website. I haven't checked other area campgrounds but they may have done the same.

http://www.myrtlebeachtravelpark.com

wanderingdawgs
Explorer
Explorer
Call River's End to confirm your dates. Tybee has all utilities back up and running. People are still in clean up and repair mode but Tybee Market is open and most of the restaurants are open. Send me a PM if you have more questions.
Beth and Henry
2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD/CC/DA
2006 Titanium 29E34TS
wanderingdawgs.com

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
stew47 wrote:
I think tybee got beat down bad. I stayed at red gate in savannah last year. pretty nice if that helps..

Thanks, but I'm part of a large group caravan. Our first two stops have cancelled, so if Tybee does as well the whole event is off.
1 shih tzu
Our photos

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
I think tybee got beat down bad. I stayed at red gate in savannah last year. pretty nice if that helps..