cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Navajo Nation Attractions

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning on possibly staying at the Goulding Campground within the Navajo Nation in summer of 2017, for three nights/three days.

** Plan Change *** -- Adding in a couple more nights near Mesa Verde.

I have found the below attractions and was wondering if there are others I am missing.

• Monument Valley
  • Canyon de Chelly National Monument
  • Navajo National Monument
    Keet Seel
    Betatakin Cliff Dwelling Ruins
    Inscription House Ruin
  • Goulding Trading Post

Notes:
  • We would prefer that the attractions are free or low cost
  • The group is not into long hikes or large museums. ๐Ÿ˜ž
  • We will be in the Mesa Verde area afterwards, with the plan to do the 4 corners site at that time.

thank you,
Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie
26 REPLIES 26

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
We did a roadtrip years ago that started in NM, AZ, UT, CO, back to NM-
Window rock, AZ
Grand Canyon, AZ
Tuba city, AZ
Dinosaur tracks roadside, AZ
Monument valley, AZ/UT
Mexican hat, UT
Valley of Gods, UT
Bluff,UT
4 corners, AZ,UT,CO,NM
Mesa Verde. CO
Durango, CO
Chama, NM
Santa Fe, NM
Cerillos, NM
Madrid,NM

Was a great trip!

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
I will also add that three days won't allow you to see much of anything. Time wise, it's a long drive from place to place out here. Some of the roads are graded gravel, others very potholed pavement. Just a day trip to Chaco Canyon (well worth visiting) will take a very full day from about anywhere. Ditto Hovenweep.

In the Durango/Mesa Verde area, stop at the Anasazi Hertitage Center near Dolores. They can give you great information on many of the hisorical sites in the area.

Make sure you get an NPS pass if you don't already have the senior version.

You say you're not into long hikes, but be aware that for virtually all of the places people have mentioned, you'll have to get out of the car and walk 1/4 to 1/2 mile or more to see the ruins. Seeing them from the car is like looking at a picture -- you can't appreciate the construction and the day to day living routines that took place in those ruins. In some places, you can still see finger impressions in the mortar between the stones.

Want to save time and money? Skip 4 corners. $5 per person. Just a tourist trap IMHO. Not a place I'd ever take someone touring with us.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow your gonna do all that in 3 days...I've lived in the 4 corners area for 67 years & haven't seen all you want to see in 3 days.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
You can drive your private vehicle on the dirt-road tour thru Monument Valley, or there are several tour operators that will take you in their vehicles. Gouldings offers this service that can be arranged at CG check-in.

I think the 4 hour tour was $40. Private vehicles are charged an access fee but not sure how much it was. The thing that sold me was that the nearest town doesn't have a decent-sized grocery store but has 3 windshield repair shops.

The Gouldings tour provided a Navajo guide that was very knowledgable and entertaining. I would have paid $40 bucks just to sit and talk to that guy for a few hours.

Just a suggestion. (the view from Goulding's campground into the valley is incredible!!!)
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
trailertraveler wrote:
Some places perhaps a little closer to Monument Valley:
UT-261 the Moki Dugway
Goosenecks State Park
Hovenweep National Monument
Natural Bridges National Monument
Bluff Fort
South Fork of Mule Canyon and House on Fire
The Valley of The Gods
Sand Island Petroglyphs
Edge of the Cedars State Park
Dinosaur Museum

2X
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
DeanRIowa wrote:
Thak you for the ideas.

I found a couple more to visit:
  • Navajo Nation Zoo & Botanical Park
  • Ch'ihootso Market Place - flea market

Dean

...and you're still going to try and see all of these with your 3-night stay? Please let us all know how you did it! ๐Ÿ™‚

With so many attractions, we will probably be staying close to Mesa Verde for a couple of days as well, thus adding Mesa Verde, Chaco canyon and 4 corners to our trip.

Dean
2016 Silverado

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Hovenweep for sure.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
DeanRIowa wrote:
Thak you for the ideas.

Dean

...and you're still going to try and see all of these with your 3-night stay? Please let us all know how you did it! ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
Hovenweep is a neat place where you can hike along the canyon rim and see the ruins. Chaco Canyon is also a wonderful experience.

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
Thak you for the ideas.

Dean
2016 Silverado

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
While a bit more of a difficult hike than "House on Fire" at Mule Canyon, Fallen Roof Ruin in Road Canyon along Cigarette Springs Road off UT 261 is an interesting ruin.

Depending which way you go leaving the area, Goblin Valley State Park has interesting formations, and a slot canyon (Little Wild Horse Canyon) nearby. My last visit.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
See....three days is definitely not going to do it!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
You might look into Hubble Trading Post
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
We really enjoyed Canyon De Chelly Nat. Mon.
Prior to your trip you might like to read some good books by Tony Hillerman. I read all of them prior to our last trip to the area. They are mystery novels about Joe Leaphorn & Jim Chee Navajo Police Officers. They are in order: The Blessing Way (1970), Dance Hall of the Dead (1973), Listening Woman (1978), People of Darkness (1980), The Dark Wind (1982), The Ghostway (1984), Skinwalkers (1986) , A Thief of Time (1988), Talking God (1989), Coyote Waits (1990), Sacred Clowns (1993), The Fallen Man (1996), The First Eagle (1998), Hunting Badger (1999), The Wailing Wind (2002), The Sinister Pig (2003), Skeleton Man (2004), & The Shape Shifter (2006). Dick