cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

i40 Campgrounds NC to CA family of 5 and Penny the Pig

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
Relocating in July from Asheville, NC to Santa Cruz, CA.
asked before but narrowed it down now..
Towing 30' TT. with diesel Excursion.
Family of 5 plus 85lb pig in crate in trunk ๐Ÿ™‚
Plan to drive over 10 days (maybe 14) and want the most direct route i40. Will need to stop every few hours, but can drive up t0 8 hrs/day first few days inc.stops.
Is there a map app where you can type in driving time and see how far that gets you? I can type in destinations and get time, but want to view it other way around!
Would like to get the first parts of this done quickly so we can spend more time in New Mexico. Find some swimming holes, cool off, fun sites, but can't leave TT for more than 4 hours because of Penny the Pig. Not go too far off i40.
Tips on campgrounds to spend 1 night in TN (asheville to Memphis is 8 hours straight so somewhere 2 hours before Memphis 1st stop perhaps?), OK, near i40. Amarillo? Then campgrounds to spend time exploring the sites in NM....Kids want to see Vegas, figure 1 night enough, been there done that. Grand Canyon?
We will need at least electric hookup for A/C. Ideally ones where Penny the Pig can get out and eat some grass and be on a long leash under trees. Dog areas not suitable for pigs (dogs LOVE pigs in a risky way)
Any suggestions appreciated. Want this to be fun! (pig hates the car, that's our biggest issues but working on it, she liked the TT though!)
28 REPLIES 28

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
bgum wrote:
Be aware that things that will hurt you and/ or your pig will rest in the shade on hot July days. That is under trees bushes etc. Don't leave your pet alone.

Pigs eat snakes
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
jukes wrote:
...near i40. Amarillo?...
Try Overnite RV Park. They have some sites with individually fenced yards. Not sure how they feel about pigs?
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kerri, all our California state parks welcome pigs, goats, chickens, rabbits, llamas, cattle. Just mention my name if any issue arises. Now roosters are so special...we love them here in California. Otherwise breakfast would be late in the day.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
In a lot of cases you may have better luck finding open spaces by checking on the state parks. We have just gotten the state tourism brochures from their websites and in some cases parks brochures on Tn, Ark, Ok, NM, Az, all sent information and park listings. Since your not going till July, order those and you should be able to find Penny a few nice spots. GC has a Pet hotel at the park entrance so going there may be workable.
As far as your distances look at Natchez Trace state park in Tn, Between Nashville and Jackson and close to 40,
In Ark look in the area west of Little Rock, Lake Dardanelle State Park or Lake Fort Smith state park are both close to 40,
West of there I cant say , Thats as far west as I have camped.
DW said to tell you "Cheers to Penny", she loves pigs.
She used to own a pet shop.

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
I'll add a photo but not sure how?

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the response. I know people who RV with their pet pig and no problem ever at campgrounds..... She's only the size of a British Bulldog and leash trained, house trained, doesn't bark etc.... and no we won't be eating her!
We plan to get a device that connects to the car A/C vent and has a hose to redirect the cold air to her crate.... we have to crate her because she hates the car and will end up on top of us otherwise.. and those hooves are hard...
Anyway, suggestions of places to stop and campgrounds appreciated. Especially ones with a pool or swimming hole for the kids.....and some grassy area for penny to eat....
Thanks

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
If you think that you are going to be questioned about your pig, just explain that you are having pork on your first nights stay. You have to be able to think ahead.
Dennis Hoppert

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Riding in the trunk -- that will be awfully HOT and you may not have a pig when you get to your destination. August -- HOT, HOT, HOT

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ask about a donkey when calling please. Love to bring my donkey! (Since my goats died)
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Miles, they accept pigs? An 85 pound pig.

Hmm, they allow pets, even have an onsite kennel. Would have to call them to see about a pig.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Miles, they accept pigs? An 85 pound pig.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
A good stop would be Williams, AZ. Old route 66 town right of I-40. Lots of RV parks in the area but favorite is Grand Canyon Railway RV park. Really nice. Grand Canyon is 50 miles to the north. Elevation is 7,000' so summer temps are typically nice around 70's to low 80's.

West of Williams on I-40 quickly drops elevation with temps over 100.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that things that will hurt you and/ or your pig will rest in the shade on hot July days. That is under trees bushes etc. Don't leave your pet alone.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Penny the Pig will challenge you on this trip but will fit in right nicely in Sata Cruz. July in some parts of NM will be...warm. Remember that Penny is a PIG, and pigs are in this world for...bacon, ham etc.