cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there anything other than Disney to do in Orlando?

bsiemens
Explorer
Explorer
Is there anything other than Disney to do in Orlando that won't break the bank. DW and I will be in Orlando for a convention in early April. We tought we would stay a few extra days for a mini-vacation. We've done the Disney thing and really don't care to spend that kind of money. We need your help.
30 REPLIES 30

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
We only go to Orlando for business but it has to be the most expensive town in the USA with the least value for the dollar for anything. The everglades are nearby or go all the way to Key West and get out of the Orlando metro area.

michelb
Explorer
Explorer
Road Runners wrote:
If you like airplane museum one of the best is Fantasy of Flight right off I-4 at exit 44. This is 20 west of Disney World. It won't break the bank to go there.

If you like airplanes, there's also Florida Air Museum at Sun n Fun
http://www.sun-n-fun.org/museum.aspx which isn't that far away (in Lakeland, FL).

April 1st-6th is actually their air show dates (http://www.sun-n-fun.org/FlyIn.aspx). I've never been but it looks to be pretty huge (Blue Angels are flying Friday to Sunday). We thought of trying to go but the dates just don't really work for us.

H345
Explorer
Explorer

The Orlando area is one of the tackiest places on the planet - outrageous prices , miles of chinese trinkets , and chain restaurants that struggle to pass the health department inspection .

There are a lot of neat places to visit without subjecting yourself to the tourist traps .

Johndeere4955
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it depends what your into when your down there. When we were there we liked going to the many smaller amusement places like the mini golf, go carts, water parks, Ripley's and there was a place that had indoor sky diving simulator which was kind of cool. We did these places mostly in the evening after going to the big parks during the day.
2014 Chaparral 343 RLTS Fifth Wheel
2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4

GTO66
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you like old cars old town has a car show and cruise on Saturday afternoon and evening.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
The Holy Land Experience

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
It is not very far to Daytona. After this Sunday it should not be a problem to visit.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of good recommendations so far- Sea World and Universal are both in the area. Universal has a Blue Man Group show that is pretty fun (though, if you have seen other Blue Man Group shows- there is a lot of overlap in the acts). Downtown Disney has a Cirque Du Soleil show that is fun to watch.

A bunch of years ago, we stopped at a place in Kissimee that had a Skycoaster:
http://www.funspotattractions.com/amusement-parks/fun-spot-usa-kissimmee/things-to-do/sky-coaster/

That was a LOT of fun. They had other stuff, but the coaster was all that we did.

When we go to Orlando this summer, we also want to go see the Manatees. We might even make a day/weekend trip down to Miami to go to the Monkey Jungle.

I really want to try the Indoor Skydiving place in Orlando.

Lots to do! Just have to figure out what tickles your fancy.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
State parks, ziplines, airboat rides, outlet malls (if you like to shop), basketball (Magic), minor league hockey (Solar Bears, free stuff at Disney (Downtown Disney, riding the boats, etc.), Bok Tower. The european tourists seem to LOVE our local Walmart.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
Old Town is a fun place to go to. If you enjoy the outdoors, go to some state parks and go hiking or bike riding. Florida has wonderful state parks.

botts12
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful bike trails. Lots of golf courses. Swimming in the spring at Wekiva State Park. Hiking there too. kayak and canoe rental there too. The citrus tower in Clermont.

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
I'll second the Holy Land Experience. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Make sure you go when the doors open. It'll take you the entire day to see each show.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

Ray___June
Explorer
Explorer
If you want night life look at the Church Street Station. Great bars and restaurants. Canaveral is to the East, and Busch Gardens in Tampa is only about an hour away. Great area to have all kinds of fun!
Sold the house, retired, and full timing. 15 years of dreams come true!

2015 Itasca 33C, Black Garnet
2013 Honda CRV EXL toad
Roadmaster Sterling all terrain tow bar
Roadmaster Tow Shield
Roadmaster Guardian
SMI "Stay-in-Play" Brake system
ISL "Toad Charge"

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hit Blue Springs. Canaveral Seashore. Kennedy Space Center. Winter Park chain of Lakes boat tour and downtown Winter Park. Lots of Gardens. Morse museum in Winter Parl largest collection of Tiffany Glass in the world Amazing. Mt. Dora is fun for Antiques and stuff.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.