cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jersey shore

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Planning for summer of 2015 already. Our kids will be 12, 10, and 6 and like all of the typical kid stuff, beaches, rides, games, etc. We're looking for FHU with close proximity to attractions.

Ideally, I am looking for a campground that is close to (or on if possible) the beach, a fun kid friendly boardwalk, and near Philly (we want to head out there for one day).
Not sure what boardwalk is the best. Does it matter? Are they all the same? We don't want to be with the drunk college students but we don't have toddlers anymore either and the kids like action.
Suggestions for campgrounds with pools and water slides will be appreciated.

Thoughts?
Thanks.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog
12 REPLIES 12

ChiMom
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently at Holly Shores campground near Cape May, NJ. Don't have kids, but there are many are here who seem to be enjoying the pool, playground, and many planned activities. Sites are level, bathhouses clean (though showers cost a quarter like all NJ campgrounds at the shore), and mature trees (shady) throughout the large campground. As a senior citizen, I still enjoy the Wildwood beaches and boardwalk just as I did when a kid. Very tacky souvenir shops and arcades, but lots of great rides and I can still play skeeball. Bring lots of money for 3 kids. 🙂 Cape May is a whole different world and fun in its own right. Both towns easily visited from Holly Shores.
Barbara, Florence, Rascal (bad chihuahua), and Annabelle (good girl turning bad)
Rainbow Bridge: Magoo (baddest chihuahua)
2007 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD: Miss Daisy

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. The zoo in Cape May sounds like a great idea.

Also, Maryland is not an option as we are coming from New York and don't want to drive quite that far. When we hit the state of Maryland, it will be to visit DC.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Jersey Shore wrote:
We stay at Seashore Campsites/Campground. 10 minutes to Cape May and Ocean City isn't too far. Stay away from Wildwood. OC is a much better choice as AJMom mentioned.
Nearby Cape May County Zoo is another great stop for the kids.
We also like to go to Higbee Beach/Wildlife Management Area in West Cape May for a day. Secluded and away from the crowds.
Philly is about a 90 minute drive.

I forgot about the Cape May Zoo! Also, hit sunset beach, look for the Cape May diamonds and see the sunken concrete ship (I forget the name).

Jersey_Shore
Explorer
Explorer
We stay at Seashore Campsites/Campground. 10 minutes to Cape May and Ocean City isn't too far. Stay away from Wildwood. OC is a much better choice as AJMom mentioned.
Nearby Cape May County Zoo is another great stop for the kids.
We also like to go to Higbee Beach/Wildlife Management Area in West Cape May for a day. Secluded and away from the crowds.
Philly is about a 90 minute drive.
'06 Ford F-350 6.0 CC LB SRW
'04 Holiday Rambler 37CK Toy Hauler

AJMom
Explorer
Explorer
I grew up spending the summers at the Jersey shore in Sea Isle, and still to this day try to avoid Wildwood. It's just too big and noisy and "overdone" for me. I think Ocean City, NJ is the perfect shore town for a family with kids looking for a fun boardwalk. Their amusement parks have rides for all ages, the food on the boardwalk can't be beat, and it is definitely MUCH more affordable than Wildwood (we call it "Childwood" due to the large groups of roaming teenagers).

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
All depends on your preferences.

I like Avalon/Stone Harbor because it's very quiet and quaint. We can drive to Atlantic City, Ocean City (NJ), Wildwood, or Cape May. Philly wouldn't be a tremendously easy drive, but doable.

I greatly prefer the Jersey shore to Ocean City, MD and we visit both fairly often.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Ocean city NJ does have a very nice board walk, especially for younger children. We've camped at Ocean View campground, just off of exit 17 of the gsp and loved it.

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
We always liked Seashore Campsites near Cape May. Boardwalks, Wildwood is larger and better ride piers but very honky tonk to me, we like the Ocean City Boardwalk best, family friendly but smaller ride piers. Good luck and enjoy
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Each area of the Jersey shore has its own personality. For kids and family, stay around the Wildwood area. Nice boardwalk and beaches. I would hit philly on the way there or when heading home rather than commuting back and forth from the shore.

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on both replies.
Holly Shores is just far enough away from the 'honky tonk' of the Wildwood boardwalk areas. It's a short drive into Wildwood for the amusement piers, arcades and the widest beach around.

Frontier town is a bit more open and on the bay. They have a water park on the grounds and I believe admission is included with camping. The Wild West show is extra, I believe. Again, it's not a bad drive into the 'honky tonk' atmosphere of Ocean City.

IMO Wildwood has a larger boardwalk and more amusements. If you do go to Wildwood, take a ride on the Cape May - Lewes Ferry and watch for the dolphins. You don't have to take the car and just enjoy the 70 minute cruise.

Enjoy wherever you choose.

Flintstones
Explorer
Explorer
Frontiertown in Ocean City, Maryland is where you want to go. Fun for kids and Mom and Dad. It's about 2 1/2 hours south of Philly. Plenty to do at the campgound and Ocean City boardwalk is one of the best in the country. Disney duplicated it in Orlando and one of their attractions.

antvq
Explorer
Explorer
Try Holly Shores. Midway between Wildwood (Boardwalk, amusments for kids, HUGE beaches, etc) and Cape May.