cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kanas City, Ks to Yellowstone National Park

isy450
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, this is most likely going to be asked and answered a thousand times, but here it goes. I am planning trip from Atlanta to Yellowstone and have no idea about which entrances to take or where to stay. I am looking at Cody, Dubois and Red Lodge, for camping. What are the must sees. I am pulling a 40 ft toy hauler, just want to make this trip one to remember. This was the one of many trips on our bucket list my wife wanted, unfortunately cancer got her before we made it. Any help would be welcome.
14 REPLIES 14

philandjd
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned home from a camping trip to Yellowstone. If you have the chance to make it happen do it. I live in the UP of Michigan so I canโ€™t give you much help on your route getting to and from the park. Iโ€™ve never been in or out of the south entrance but the others you canโ€™t go wrong. The least exciting I would say is the west entrance, both of the north and the east entrances have good Mountain Viewโ€™s and/or drives. The drive from Cody to the east entrance is beautiful. I would recommend staying in the park if possible. If not West Yellowstone would be my next choice, otherwise as it has been pointed out you are going to spend a good portion of the day just driving to get to where you want to go. It can easily take up to an hour to travel just 30 miles in the park.

Do your research before you go, find out what you want to see and do. Download the Yellowstone NPS app to your phone before hand and set it to work offline as phone and internet service in the park is limited or none. National Geographic has a good Yellowstone map I would get before hand too, Iโ€™m sure you can get it on Amazon. If your interested in day hikes they also have more detailed maps of the different areas of the park that coordinate with a book on the hiking trails (canโ€™t remember the name of it). Definitely pack a good pair of binoculars or get a pair (if you only buy one thing for this trip this should be it), a decent camera with a good zoom is also nice to have. We didnโ€™t eat at any of the restaurants as covid rules made it to much of a hassle so canโ€™t comment on those. Carry a mask as they are required in fall federal buildings, had to walk back to the truck a few times to get one.

Use the pullouts and let people pass, take your time and donโ€™t rush. 4-5 days in the park gives you the ability to see and do lots, just be realistic and enjoy. You could spend an entire summer in Yellowstone and not get to do all that you want to. If you have anymore specific questions Iโ€™ll be happy to try and help answer them.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ext Cab 6.0
2000 Coachmen Catalina 300TBS

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
The Total drive is 4,000 miles plus the driveing done exploreing The Tetons and Yellowstone, so you will be comfortable driving 500 miles for the eight days out and Back?

What? I already pointed out it is 1100 miles from KC to West Yellowstone. And I don't see driving 1800 miles inside the park in 5 days (over 350 miles a day in the park!) once they get there. For Cody to KC is probably under a 1000 miles. Three 350 mile days will put them in Cody. Leaving 6-7 days to explore.

Look at the MAP - and where the OP will start - It will be clearer for You - Sometimes it takes a little effort to really understand where this adventure starts, Just going through Kansas City.

Thinking my guess is a little closer to what will actually happen - But that's just a guess.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
There is alot to see along the way if you get off the interstates and try some of the US highways and primary state routes.

Did you miss the # of days he has?
I made the mistake of getting off the Interstates last month. Met a over width load on a narrow 2 lane with a 6โ€ drop offโ€ฆ no shoulder. Surprised I still have a a driverโ€™s mirror as the widest part was at my mirror height. Scrubbed the sidewall of R front tire on a narrow bridge across the Ohio when a 18 wheeler was taking more than his half of the roadโ€ฆ have never scrubbed a tire that bad before. Thought the windshield was coming out when meeting trucks with a closing speed of 120 mph on those lovely, narrow, scenic, rough, rural roads. Not a slow learner and used the Interstates to get homeโ€ฆI-70 is in good shape Denver to St Louโ€ฆnever got below 55 although most of scenic Kansas was done at night, the 2nd best way to see it. #1 is from 30,000โ€™.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There is alot to see along the way if you get off the interstates and try some of the US highways and primary state routes.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can forget Dubois and Red Lodgeโ€ฆ to far away. My personal best to Moran Junction in the Tetons from N GA is 48 hours but I left at 6PM and stopped north of Nashville (Clarksville Cracker Barrel) and again in N Platte, NE. Last month we spent a week east of Moran and day tripped to Yellowstone (no delays at the south entrance). This summer was not as busy as last summer. If you are into dry camping PM me.

I would suggest Interstates 75, 24, 57, 64,70, 435 bypass around KC and 29 cutting the corner on 2 to Lincoln (donโ€™t go all the way to Omaha to get on I-80) getting off 80 in Rawlins, WY and 287 to the Tetons. Other than 24 in KY (only place it became stop and go) the roads are pretty good.

If just one person I would suggest flying into SLC, Billings, or Denver and renting a Class C.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Total drive is 4,000 miles plus the driveing done exploreing The Tetons and Yellowstone, so you will be comfortable driving 500 miles for the eight days out and Back?

What? I already pointed out it is 1100 miles from KC to West Yellowstone. And I don't see driving 1800 miles inside the park in 5 days (over 350 miles a day in the park!) once they get there. For Cody to KC is probably under a 1000 miles. Three 350 mile days will put them in Cody. Leaving 6-7 days to explore.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
isy450 wrote:
I am looking at going in August or first of September. I am upgrading from Ram 2500 to Ram 3500 dually with 4 wheel drive. I have pretty much have the route down except for deciding on which entrance and campground to use.
Time line for this trip is 4 days out, 5 there and 4 days back,

As you will have little time to do more than a few things there - All I can give you is a MAP

This map will send you to The Tetons first, where I'd spend night one of the 5 days set aside in the Tetons and the the drive to West Yellowstone, as it appears you will be getting an early start, a guess you will be able to see some of the Tetons and possibly Old Fathfull as you drive to West Yellowstone - then only You can select what you will enjoy but it is a big park and there is a lot to see - The Falls and the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone will likely take a day and the drive across to Cody another day, so likely you only need to pick your Itenterary for the other two Days.

From Cody I chose the route south through Thermopolis - Wind River Canyon - Shoshonni - this is such a Beautiful area it might deserve to be one of the last two days you have to decide on. Cody is filled with things to see and do so ..... might need to see if you would enjoy things there too.

Then it will just be the 4 long hard days Back.

Hope this helps, Best of Luck
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
1130 miles KC to West Yellowstone, that is hardly pushing it. More than half on Interstates too. You can always spend more time in the parks no matter how much you plan on.
As for campgrounds, what type of camping do you want to do. Full Hookup, boondocking? FHU you better make reservations 6 months out.
Superbumper

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
That sounds like a lot of miles in a short time! Not enough time in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons! I could double the travel and stay time very easily!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

isy450
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at going in August or first of September. I am upgrading from Ram 2500 to Ram 3500 dually with 4 wheel drive. I have pretty much have the route down except for deciding on which entrance and campground to use.
Time line for this trip is 4 days out, 5 there and 4 days back,

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
isy450 wrote:
Hi everyone, this is most likely going to be asked and answered a thousand times, but here it goes.

I am planning trip from Atlanta to Yellowstone and have no idea about which entrances to take or where to stay.

I am looking at Cody, Dubois and Red Lodge, for camping. What are the must sees.

I am pulling a 40 ft toy hauler, just want to make this trip one to remember.

This was the one of many trips on our bucket list my wife wanted, unfortunately cancer got her before we made it.

Any help would be welcome.

A little info will help - How long will you set aside for this trip? When will you go it will make a big difference in the weather, the Month is critical.

Will anyone share this adventure with you? How far do you normally drive in a day, this will be big in helping select the route out and then in the route to see the areas you want to focus on.

What do you enjoy - Hiking - driving - FCHU's - long days - Boondocking - Teton's - on and on, help us out so we can help you on your Quest.

West Yellowstone is the most popular area for people to stay and is generally the closest to the features of the Park, Cody and Red Lodge are a good bit of drive so are not the Normal long term camping area for seeing Yellowstone.

What is pulling this 40' toyhauler, is it set up with an engine brake and enought power to get over, then down, a few Rocky Mountain Passe?

Will we have enough time to possible include a little Colorado on the way?

If you could address the many questions you might be able to get an answer that could really help you out.

So much to see and never enough TIME!
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
I70 west to 83 north to I80, then west to I25 and north to Casper. Then 20 west and north to Thermopolis and 120 on to Cody and 14 into Yellowstone.
There are lots of things to see on this route.
When you know the date you'll get to Yellowstone, make reservations NOW or as soon as they let you do it.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are right about numbers of posts on YNP, do a search here for long threads on what to see. And yes the east entrance is good, not the NE entrance tho which would send you up the Beartooth highway, not something you want to do pulling a camper.
Going thru Jackson is the other possibility, Cody has some good museums and the nightly Rodeo to see tho. If you plan to camp in Cody and drive into YNP everyday be prepared for a very long drive to the main parts of the park, I mean hours. We'll be in Cody next week.
Superbumper

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Go through Cody to East entance.
I would suggest US 20 through Casper to get to Cody.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow