cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lake Tahoe

Bluedog
Explorer
Explorer
On a trip to California on I-80 is it worthwhile to take a detour to see the Lake Tahoe area or better to keep going?
11 REPLIES 11

Gottahaveit
donkeydew wrote:

"Hank the Tank" a 500 pound black bear that has broken into about 25 homes looking for food this winter

"Hank the Tank" was found not guilty LOL

Tahoe is worth it !! One of our favorite vacation spots with the RV. As others have said get your reservations ASAP. We love Campground by the Lake however renovations are being done this yr. Tahoe Valley Campground usually has some openings and is an OK park.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you like to hike or mountain bike, plan to spend a few days in the Tahoe area. Wonderful recreational opportunities.

Bring an extra big wallet, though. Everything is expensive. Not outrageous, but not cheap.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
if they haven't caught him by then be sure to take someone a little slower than you.
"Hank the Tank" a 500 pound black bear that has broken into about 25 homes looking for food this winter

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
is it worthwhile to take a detour to see the Lake Tahoe

Absolutely, just don't visit on a three day holiday weekend and it is better to visit during the week instead of any weekend. The great American author Mark Twain in his book 'Roughing It' described Lake Tahoe as "the fairest picture the whole earth affords".
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
In June be prepared for massive crowding and full or near full RV parks and campgrounds around the lake. Traffic can be heavy on all highways, cities around the lake at certain times. Will need reservations highly likely. I live near Tahoe now for many years and been there many many times. Just saying. Cheers to the new year

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Definitely worth seeing. You can drive around the lake easily in one day and there are plenty of sites to see. On the California side, visit Vikingsholm Castle and Emerald Bay.

Also, stop at Donner Memorial State Park on your way west on I-80.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Bluedog
Explorer
Explorer
For ThermoGuy.

Relax. Not going unitl June

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lake Tahoe is one of a kind. Don’t miss touring this jewel of California and Nevada.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now? Your going to go now? You might check the weather first. Might be some snow in places.

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't miss Lake Tahoe. Take a left toward Carson City in Reno and then west on Hwy 50. I would stay at the RV park at Zepher cove or Fallen Leaf campground.

A trip around the lake is a great way to spend the day. Leave the trailer behind as the road at Emerald Bay is narrow and very windy.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't miss it. It's not a big detour. But a lot depends on what time of the year.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes