cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for So Cal beach destination for Thanksgiving

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Folks, we live in So Cal and are familiar with most of the beach campgrounds. Looking for something new, ie, some "new ideas".

We've stayed at Chula Vista RV Resort, South Carlsbad, Doheney, San Mateo, San Clemente, El Capitan, Refugio, Leo Carillo, and pretty much all the well-known State Campgrounds.

Maybe there is a private campground that might be worthwhile? Any new ideas appreciated.

BTW, traveling with a 40 ft 5er and 35 ft conventional trailer so the campground would have to accommodate larger rigs.

TIA
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
7 REPLIES 7

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the info folks, ended up at Doheny, great spot on the beach. We've done Doheny for the last 3 Thanksgivings though. The Paradise RV suggestion might be interesting for the future.

Didn't want to drive as far as Pismo or Morrow Bay on this trip BTW. Been to both several times, nice cg's.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

roman_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
About 25 miles south of Morro Bay the state campground in Pismo Beach has reopened or if you want full hookups there is Pismo Coast Village. If you were to choose PCV you better make reservations ASAP.
Whatever you decide have fun and travel safe.

RT

Ram4Sam
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
profdant139 wrote:
Also, what about Montana de Oro near Morro Bay? Very nice campground. If you go, bring mountain bikes -- you can ride (carefully) along the cliffs:

Click For Full-Size Image.

Don't think any of the campsites will fit either of the OP's RVs.

Change "don't think" to "will not"......Nice campground away from the crowds but it is for small rv's, tenters.....

Sam
2016 Dodge cummins 3500 SRW LB CC 4X4 Aisin, Nav, white w/brown
No keys, B&W TOB & Companion

Gone....served me well...1991 Dodge Cummins...2001.5 Dodge Cummins

2008 Thor Jazz 2870UK 5er

Driving a Dodge Cummins since 1991...

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Also, what about Montana de Oro near Morro Bay? Very nice campground. If you go, bring mountain bikes -- you can ride (carefully) along the cliffs:

Don't think any of the campsites will fit either of the OP's RVs.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have heard good things about Paradise RV in Oceanside. Kind of expensive. The beach has pretty good surf. Bring a heavy wetsuit, though.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Be happy you can get what you can get on thanksgiving and book it. But I spect you know that.. this is so.cal.

Oh yeah... there's always Campland on the Bay but you may not fit
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350