cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mackinac Island

clinthia
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone recommend a nice place to camp near Macknac Island in late September early October?

Thank you, Clint
2007.5 Dodge 3500 4X4 Crewcab with 6.7 Cummins
2004 EC950 w/ slideout
2 Costco 6 volts
Yamaha EF1000IS
Kyocera solar panel
GO POWER 300 watt 12 volt PSW inverter
TorkLift tiedowns with Fastguns
Timbrens
Homemade bumpstops
The Schnauzers Madeline & Genevieve
11 REPLIES 11

homedad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm like jfcoopjr about compromise. I'll take privacy, quiet and scenery over hook-ups any day. If that's okay Wilderness is the place. It's about 10 minutes from the docks. BTW they have electric.

jfcoopjr
Explorer
Explorer
As I mentioned earlier ... it all depends on where you're coming from and where you want to go. If you like the KOAs or the massive private commercialized campgrounds, with enormous playgrounds and built-in pools, by all means, Mill Creek is a great choice.

We don't have children, so we prefer the smaller/quieter, often more picturesque facilities. We might go canoeing or take a dip in a stream or lake. Our humble little TT is self-contained, and we don't like the huge boxy CGs with stacked sites upon sites, and we don't necessarily need the FHU. That's why we prefer Wilderness (Northern Lower Peninsula) or Tahquamenon Falls (Upper Peninsula).

Heck, if you really want color and don't need electric, there are some beautiful State Forest CGs, too. We carry a quiet little Honda eu2000i companion that will charge the batteries and run everything but the a/c ... but who's running the a/c in October, right? Electric is nice, but not necessary.

Late September ... early October ... if you're looking for spectacular colors, you'll find it IN the hardwood forests. I just prefer to wake up in them, instead of having to make a day trip to enjoy them.

As they say, "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder".
J F Coop Jr/J A Klamer
Hadassah (furry family member/Labradoodle)
2003 Salem 25FB
2008 Nissan Titan V-8 Crew Cab

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not as big a fan of Mill Creek as are some other folks. It's been quite a few years since we were there, so maybe some of the FHU sites where we camped are better than they were, but we felt they were tightly packed together. The CG is HUGE, and has a lot of heavily wooded sites (which we prefer, but at the time none was available in FHU capacity.)

Have seen both Straits & Wilderness SPs and they are lovely, but will not have FHUs. They can also be popular, and have a lot of sites reservable many months ahead.

We liked the St. Ignace KOA, across the bridge on the U.P. Smaller, shaded, and pretty friendly. Not sure how they are for big rigs, though (we had a PUP at the time. ๐Ÿ™‚ )
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
X5 Mill Creek!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
X 4 for Mill Creek
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
X3 Mill Creek
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

Pops
Explorer
Explorer
x2 - Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground
2012 Itasca Cambria 28T

jfcoopjr
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, Mill Creek is nice private campground just outside Mackinaw City - clean/nice. However, it really depends on where you're coming from and where you're heading.

Having lived in Gaylord (Northern Lower) for 10 years, my suggestion would be any of the Michigan State Parks from Otsego Lake (Gaylord) north. They've upgraded most of the state facilities since tourism is the major industry north US-10. Gaylord is only 1 hour south of the bridge. A little closer, Petoskey is beautiful (kind of touristy/dining/shopping) ... but my personal favorite Northern Lower on Lake Michigan is Wilderness State Park. There are two campgrounds. Wilderness Lakeshore Campground and Wilderness Pines Campground. For the sheer beauty, you can't beat it.

First week of October will be nice colors, probably peaking in the UP, for sure. There are plenty north of the bridge too, like the Straits State Park (great Lake Michigan view, but a little close to the main highway) and plenty of beautiful and secluded state forest campgrounds (rustic). My personal favorite just north of the "Mighty Mack" is Tahquamenon Falls State Park (any of them are beautiful ... Upper/Lower/Rivermouth each with it's own uniqueness)

Hope that's a start for considering ...
J F Coop Jr/J A Klamer
Hadassah (furry family member/Labradoodle)
2003 Salem 25FB
2008 Nissan Titan V-8 Crew Cab

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed there last fall only place to stay is

Mackinaw Mill Creek Camping http://www.campmackinaw.com/home.htm Mackinaw City Michigan
You should opt for a bridge view sight in the front row. They close for the season in mid October
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're OK with KOA's we stayed at the one near town. Nice folk.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

craftyfox
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the Tikki Village in St. Ignace in July. Nice place, PassPort America park. Check out parks in the area by going into rvparkreviews.com Good info by people who have stayed in the parks. It's the first place I look when deciding on a park.