cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maine

tasfixit
Explorer
Explorer
am planning a trip up to Maine early 2017 and am not familiar with anything in the area we like to fish, hike and bike. also would like someplace centrally located as my spouse loves lighthouses and wants to see as many as possible any campsite suggestions?
Thanks Todd
15 REPLIES 15

hbrady
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
What size Motorhome can they accommodate? I am 35 ft with a toad.

What type and how is fishing?

Thanks

Backed our 30' TT in with plenty of room to spare and I think they had some bigger sites including at least one pull-through. Now, fishing is another issue. Depends on what you are fishing for and where from. I have not fished salt water in 30 years but I'm guessing there may be some good mackerel fishing in the area and maybe some striped bass. Reach out to the folks at Maine Kayak, they may have some tips and could hook you up with some Kayaks if need be. Maine Kayak (ignore certificate error) I forgot a paddle last year and they loaned me one, no charge. Nice folks.

Now, if you don't mind a few days away from the coast I would HIGHLY recommend the Rangeley lakes region for fishing. All I can say is that there are not many people who visit this region who don't fall in love (especially fisherman). You can fly fish for beautiful native brookies, troll the lakes for massive trout and landlocked salmon or even get into some bass. If you hit that region I'd also highly recommend Cupsuptic Lake Park and Campground. The sites 47-52 are right along the lake and are plenty big enough for your setup. The husband and wife team who run the place a super. We rented a boat from them and tried some fishing but you really need to get down deep for those fish. Best advice, give them a call before you go and see what they recommend for fishing. There are also plenty of guides for hire in the area Fishing Rangeley Lakes Region
Here is a picture of our site from the beach last year:

One thing with Rangeley .. bring bug dope. Spring the black flies will carry you away, summer the horse flies will take a pound or two of flesh ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro

dakasa47
Explorer
Explorer
We have been traveling around Maine for years well before our Rv days. One of our favorite RV trips is to Scarborough ME. We stay at Wild Duck Rv Resort. It is on the marsh and is adults only. The owner Chris is awesome. It is quiet, clean and well cared.
David and Marianne
2010 Tundra
2007 FunFinder 21'

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
What size Motorhome can they accommodate? I am 35 ft with a toad.

What type and how is fishing?

Thanks

hbrady wrote:
Pemaquid Point Light is a must see for lighthouse enthusiasts (it's the one on ME state quarter) and Pemaquid Point Campground is gem! It's a small, very laid back and quiet campground just a few minutes from lots of things. So far it's our favorite CG in Maine. Make sure sure you stay at least 2 days and be sure to check out North Country Wind Bells up the road in Round Pond.

hbrady
Explorer
Explorer
Pemaquid Point Light is a must see for lighthouse enthusiasts (it's the one on ME state quarter) and Pemaquid Point Campground is gem! It's a small, very laid back and quiet campground just a few minutes from lots of things. So far it's our favorite CG in Maine. Make sure sure you stay at least 2 days and be sure to check out North Country Wind Bells up the road in Round Pond.
2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We stay at narrows Too in Trenton with easy access to bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. The park has 45 miles of crushed,compacted gravel carriage roads that are for pedestrians,bikes and horses.... makes for good biking.
There are also many blazed trails throughout the park
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
How early is early? We hit Maine a little too early this year. It was early May. Sebago Lake SP was near empty. Camden SP was empty, except for us. It was cold. Winter did not let go till late this year.

Better not think about Maine till at least mid May. Check opening dates.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Cobscook Bay State Park. My favorite if you like rustic camping. Visited a beautiful lighthouse from there, at Lubec, Maine.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Timberland Acres at Bar Harbor

Timberland Acres is actually in Trenton, ME, about 25 minutes outside Bar Harbor. It's an easy drive right down Rt. 3 and you are close to amenities like grocery stores and restaurants.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

camper_ron
Explorer
Explorer
Loved this campground and the area is Beautiful at bottom just click Older Posts and you will see our adventure.

Check out our BLOG

r0n....:)

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out

Pumpkin Patch at Bangor

Timberland Acres at Bar Harbor
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Don't think "centrally located" will do it. Think I;d look at working your way up the coast instead. Driving out on the peninsulas can take a fair amount of time, just to find 1 lighthouse. Depending when you go, driving along rt1 is pretty slow. Maybe a few nights in the Old Orchard Beach area, a few more around Boothbay, maybe near Rockport, then up to Mt Desert Is. If you're up for the drive and have passports you can hit Quoddy Head and Campobello for a few days too.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
There maybe 65 or 70 light houses in Maine and they aren't all on a main road. 250 miles of coast as the crow flies but 3500 miles if you run a boat along it. Plan on spending a long time if you want to see very much of it, or plan on going back.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
What exactly do you mean by "Early 2017"? Many campgrounds in New England don't open until maybe late May or early June or so.

If it's early enough, biking will be very adventuresome (and cold), hiking pretty adventuresome (and cold), and fishing mostly consist of huddling down and watching for a little flag to flip up (and, yes, also cold).

Bar Harbor area is probably about as reasonable a central-ish area as any. Acadia is a beautiful park. The Maine coast is fairly long, though, so moving about might be more practical than trying to have one single home base.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a site that will give you all the lighthouses in the state:

http://www.newenglandlighthouses.net/maine.htmll

You might want to select a number of spots to stay in-each part of Maine is unique. Acadia is one of my favorite spots but the entire coast is beautiful.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]