cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Military Campgrounds

concord_05
Explorer
Explorer
We are qualified to say at military campgrounds because of my husbands DAV status. We have only stayed at one Uchee Creek at Fort Bragg. A very nice campground which is not on the base and didn't require a pass. We did go to the visitors access point and get a pass because it was easier to travel across the base and not have to drive around it. My question is is there any type of card we would be able to get to gain access to bases without having to obtain a visitors pass at each individual base, It appears that many of the CGs are located on the actal base.
19 REPLIES 19

path1
Explorer
Explorer
My question is is there any type of card we would be able to get to gain access to bases without having to obtain a visitors pass at each individual base, It appears that many of the CGs are located on the actal base.

Sounds like your husband has MWR privileges. Most but not all mil campgrounds are on Base. But access to bases are not like it used to be.

Olden days... you would get a base decal from your base and go onto just about any other base. But today many bases seem to do their "own thing". Or at least that's what it seems like. I was told entire DOD base access program was getting rolled out base by base and phase by phase. So hard telling what phase the base your going to is in.

My McChord base decal didn't matter one bit at Yuma Marine Corp Air Station. I had to get one of Yuma's visitors passes. Another time when I drove wives car onto Mcchord that didn't even have a decal. Didn't matter, the gate guard "scanned" the bar code on the back of our ID card with a hand held bar code and said, have a good day. My local Coast guard station, a base decal doesn't seem to matter. Just have drivers window down a bit and lift up ID card from drivers window and the guard will wave you through from his chair from inside his guard shack. And we went to one base when passing by just to go to PX. Wouldn't let us on with a decal. We needed to be stationed there to have access to base.

The above web site has lots of info that would help you out. Fort Bragg vehicle registration office should be able to help you more. Link below.

https://www.basedirectory.com/fort-bragg-directory/vehicle-registration-center
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
I don't know that you can without a sponsor..
They don't need a sponsor, they are qualified. (DAV) Disabled American Veteran has full privileges for a life time.

Am one.

Thx, wasn't sure.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
I don't know that you can without a sponsor..
They don't need a sponsor, they are qualified. (DAV) Disabled American Veteran has full privileges for a life time.

Am one.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
concord 05 wrote:
We are qualified to say at military campgrounds because of my husbands DAV status. We have only stayed at one Uchee Creek at Fort Bragg. A very nice campground which is not on the base and didn't require a pass. We did go to the visitors access point and get a pass because it was easier to travel across the base and not have to drive around it. My question is is there any type of card we would be able to get to gain access to bases without having to obtain a visitors pass at each individual base, It appears that many of the CGs are located on the actal base.

There are no longer any gate passes, or decals for entry to military bases. It is now a full on ID check. have your IDs out and ready to hand to the gate guard.

Be prepared to have the RV searched. To the military the terrorist threat is real.

USN / CPO-Retired

OBTW the nicest camp ground we have stayed at was Fort Meade DC.
Ours is great too, all brand new in 2014, and right on the Bech. (NAS Whidbey Is.)
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know that you can without a sponsor. If you are near there , go to base security and inquire as well as showing the veterans ID. I was able to get my g/f a 30 day pass a couple of times and then was able to get her one that was good for a year, she isn't allowed to use the bx or commissary without me, but she can enter and leave the base.

Also check on www.militarycampgrounds.us
On their forums you can get a lot of assistance with qx like these, as well as info on all the famcamps nationwide.