cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mississippi state and coe parks

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever stayed at any of the Missiissippi state parks that are not on the coast or at Hernando point coe park. We are looking for something towards the end of March next year possiably in Mississippi that has fresh water lakes and shady sites and hiking trails. Any recommendation on any of those parks would be appricated. Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
Mississippi has some great COE parks. Here are links to pictures and comments about the ones at which we have stayed:

Oak Grove COE

Piney Grove COE

State parks we have visited:

Lefleur's Bluff SP

Natchez SP

John W. Kyle SP

Paul B Johnson SP

There are also some other great facilities operated by other agencies:

Timberlake CG - Pearl River Water Supply District,

Warfield Point County Park

Have a great trip!

WxToad
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Twitley Branch COE about 12 miles north of meridian Miss. We stayed there in May this year was very nice. Large level sites with plenty of shade.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, we have stayed in Holmes County Park, but that was a good many years ago and that was just because we needed a stop on our route at about that point.

We have also stayed a couple of times at Natchez State Park, and on the coast at Buccaneer State Park. I guess more than any other we have stayed at Roosevelt State Park just of I-20.

Mississippi has a system of "Water Parks" that are unique. We have stayed at a couple of these. I really posted to call attention to these parks.

And Mississippi stretches all the way from near Memphis to near Mobile, so that's a big territory and a lot of campgrounds.

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
I have to look at Holmes County state park as well. We have done parks in Alabama I'm asking about Mississippi state parks the Alabama ones are nice just looking to try another state

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed at Holmes County State Park, a bit north of Jackson, MS on our way from St Louis to Destin, but that's been a few years back. From what I remember, a very nice, clean park that was close to Hwy 55. Been meaning to get back there again, just haven't.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
How would you feel about a river instead of a lake? Desoto Resort State Park near Ft Payne, AL has the best trail system I've encountered in that part of the country. They are all well marked and maintained. They range from an easy stroll to a steep, rocky climb down into the Little River Gorge.

It can be cold there in March.
Larry

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick reply Clarko was one I was looking at I'll look into the other one also. Magnolia is about 40 miles from me we have been there a few times it is real nice just looking for other places to go. I have some real nice state parks here in Florida that are within a few hour that are nice and we got to alot just looking to see other things

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've been to Clarko and Percy Quinn. Both are nice. Of the two PQ was a lot busier and harder to reserve. Clarko has more shade in the campground. That's good if it's hot. Bad if you are trying to get a satellite signal. Clarko is also in a dry county. I'll leave it up to you whether that's good or bad.

Not sure which park I prefer but it probably says something that I've only been to Clarko once but 3 or 4 times to PQ.

(It's across the border in AL but I'd suggest Magnolia Branch Wildlife Reserve.)
Larry