cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moab area campgrounds suitable for a 43' motorhome?

DHart
Explorer
Explorer
We are hoping to pass through the Moab area to check out Arches and Canyonlands... are there any good spots you would recommend where we could fit a 43' motorhome that would be relatively close to these areas? Anything from full hook ups to dry camping would be fine.

Thanks, in advance.
=======================
2016 Newmar Bay Star 3124
15 REPLIES 15

dolphindog
Explorer
Explorer
stayed at portal in 37 footer. like others say....get the private sites.

arches and dead horse point real close.

if you got time...also take a quick drive to hole in the rock

http://theholeintherock.com/map.html

and take the 10 minute tour. 12 miles south of moab.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
Have stayed at several - would recommend Spanish Trails even though it is a drive to town to get up to Arches.

We did the back section at Portal and also felt like we were in an alley. And the place was overgrown with weeds, the koi pond smelled like hades, the laundry was old and hardly working and it was not cheap. Have also done Moab Valley and like the location but we will go back to Spanish Trails in the future.

Yea that's my take on Portal. We stayed there a few years ago and there were so many mesquitos you could even get from the 5er to the truck without being covered
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Have stayed at several - would recommend Spanish Trails even though it is a drive to town to get up to Arches.

We did the back section at Portal and also felt like we were in an alley. And the place was overgrown with weeds, the koi pond smelled like hades, the laundry was old and hardly working and it was not cheap. Have also done Moab Valley and like the location but we will go back to Spanish Trails in the future.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like people like several places. I like Spanish Trails. Really friendly people running the place
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
TenOC wrote:
Can you Dry Camp??? BLM campsite at N38ยฐ 34.983' W109ยฐ 48.972' with lots of space. Off of UT Highway 313. It is near Dead Horse SP which you should see anyway.

This Horse thief campground site operated by the BLM and has a on site host, there is a fee at this campground and very quite at night, good for large rigs and easy to get to.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Can you Dry Camp??? BLM campsite at N38ยฐ 34.983' W109ยฐ 48.972' with lots of space. Off of UT Highway 313. It is near Dead Horse SP which you should see anyway.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Portal in one of their premier sites just across from the pool. It was a a very nice large site, but it was a sea of concrete against the blank wall of a 3 story residence next to us. It felt like we were parked in an alley.

I like a bit of activity and that end of the park was the dead zone, I was the only one that used the pool?

I did visit Archview and although it was gravel, it appeared more interesting to us.

We have also stayed at Moab Valley RV Resort, where we will probably stay on our next visit.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Arch View RV Park, we've stayed here a couple of times. It's location places it in the idea position for a base camp for a rig like yours, placing you right at
SR 313 leading you to Canyonlands NP and Dead Horse Point SP. A few miles south from Arch View is the main entrance to Arches NP.

This way you don't have to drive your rig through Moab, unless you want to.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Fastfwd75
Explorer
Explorer
I was in Moab valley RV resort. I was able to park and leave hooked up my 20' pickup + 24' trailer. It's right between Arches and the Moab city. Great location.
Eco Camp 20BH
Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 4.30

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Pasta Jays in Moab... Awesome! Also, Milts Stop and Eat, little local hole in the wall with killer chili bugers, fries and other stuff. Amazing.... Have a picture of my giant Chili Burger... I ate the whole thing, and I think it weighed more than I did!
Take Hwy 279 along the river and check out the petroglyphs and rock climbers. Think we spent a whole day along that route. Just gorgeous, and do not pass up Hwy 12 for beautiful views.
If you want an incredible experience, call Dan Mick for a Jeep tour to get the real
" rock " experience for 4 wheeling. In 2009 we spent 10 days there and had to go back many more times because there was so much we wanted to see. If you are hikers or mountain bikers, you will be in heaven. Moab is truly a life changing place.
Have a great trip
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

DHart
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good... thank you for the info!

Any other tips, ideas, on sightseeing, eating, etc. very welcome.
=======================
2016 Newmar Bay Star 3124

SnoBear
Explorer
Explorer
X3 - Portal RV

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nutinelse2do wrote:
We think Portal RV Park is the best. When you call, tell them you would like a spot in the privately owned back area. There are concrete pads, and great views. Very close to Arches also.

Ditto on Portal. We stay there at least once a year for 10-12 days a year to hike, ATV and Jeep the area. The private are has HUGE sites. I think the biggest ones are 60-80' plus toad/toy parking. Nice small pool and Jacuzzi. Beautiful clean showers. Nice GRASS dog park. Very convenient to Arches and Canyonlands. Wifi is marginal but usable for email.

Whatever anybody says. Don't stay at Archview.

Be sure to eat at the Moab Diner. They have great green chili burgers and breakfasts that will leave you belly up. There is also a micro brewery on the south end of downtown on the west side of the street that has good food and brew.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!