cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mora CG or Kalaloch CG -- Olympia NP Length?????

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
We have a 36-foot 5th wheel so our overall length is probably 53 feet more or less I have not measured with the truck connected. This summer we wish to camp at Olympia national Park. The two campgrounds we are looking at either Mora CG or Kalaloch CG state that they are not really big rig friendly. The website, recreation.gov, states that we should consider the overall length of the trailer plus truck.

Has anyone stayed at either of these two campgrounds and will we be able to fit in if we can find a 36 foot campsite?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
12 REPLIES 12

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC, have you driven 101 in WA state along with the loggers??? I guarantee that you won't have a comfortable drive over that bridge with a fully loaded log truck hanging on the centerline at aboot 65 mph coming at you!! Just trying to help out!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
South Beach. No problem with room here.

"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Just adjust your approach speed! The log trucks are fast and could have limbs or other debris hanging off. Loggers, both empty and loaded, do the same as suggested.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
TUCQUALA wrote:

Be aware of narrow bridge on 101 crossing the Hoh River. Don't want to meet a log truck on the bridge!!!

I understand, but if logging trucks use the road a 5er should be OK.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
The approach to the camp may be the problem.

I've not been there, but this is often the problem at a lot of campgrounds - the site is good, but the approach is not.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this site if you haven't done already. Pretty informative.

http://www.bobthecamper.com/index.html

We stayed in Kalaloch in E12 with our 34ft trailer and EX, aboot 53ft oal. But needed to park truck at angle to stay off road. Water and facilities right next to the site, but not a problem. Pretty quiet when we were there. Dump station is good and on road into the north section. Didn't spend time in the lower (S) sites, they were closed when we were there.

Be aware of narrow bridge on 101 crossing the Hoh River. Don't want to meet a log truck on the bridge!!!

'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
On another note, I remember it being pretty darn cold for summer.. maybe in the 60s.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
South Beach in early part of week should be no problem. Weekends especially holidays would be questionable.
Great views!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
TenOC wrote:
I thought about South Beach but it is no reservations FCFS and I assumed in Mid-July it would be full.
Does it fill up most of the time??????"
Yes, it's very popular. I remember showing up early on a Tuesday morning to secure a spot.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
3 miles south is South Beach CG where you'd have no problem in Olympic National park.

I thought about South Beach but it is no reservations FCFS and I assumed in Mid-July it would be full.

Does it fill up most of the time??????"

Travel Photos

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
The approach to the camp may be the problem.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a few sites at Kalaloch you may fit in, but likely the truck will be partially in the road. 3 miles south is South Beach CG where you'd have no problem in Olympic National park.