cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need help want to go North for the 4th maybe Maine

MisconductOIB
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to get away with kids and wife the week of the 4th 2016. Thinking about Maine any thoughts on this trip would be greatly appreciated.... Only have a week traveling from NC where to go for great camping and scenery pulling a trailer to camp in..:?
2016 Days camped
2013 Tracer Air 240
2012 Ford Expedition
16 REPLIES 16

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Cdash wrote:
MisconductOIB wrote:
Thanks for all of the great info after reading everything I believe we might scale back to Washington DC from the 2-5 then maybe hop over to VA Mountains till the 9th.

We've done trips to the west too. We determined that anything west of Rushmore had to be two weeks to be worth while, as it is at least 2.5 days of driving to get there.

Drive time is the OP dilemma as well for a trip from NC to Maine.
We are not suggesting staying home, but we are suggesting taking a trip with less windshield time
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Flintstones
Explorer
Explorer
How about an easy trip to Ocean City, Maryland and a week at Frontiertown? You can do plenty of fishing, and pretty much anything else you set your mind to.

Cherrystones in Virginia, Holiday Travel Park in Virginia Beach or something in Cape May New Jersey would be fun for kids and parents.

Cdash
Explorer
Explorer
MisconductOIB wrote:
Thanks for all of the great info after reading everything I believe we might scale back to Washington DC from the 2-5 then maybe hop over to VA Mountains till the 9th.

We've done trips every year over the 4th. Wife gets forced to take a week off at that time so we go looking for good fireworks. Usually leave right after school on Friday, get several hours of driving in, overnight at a Cracker Barrel or Wal-Mart and get there on Saturday. We'd do the trip you are talking about without question. If you wait, you may never get there! Everyone is different in their motivations and limitations and desires and abilities.

One of the best trips was DC, sitting in the shadow of the Washington Monument waiting for dark with the wife and 2 kids. Fireworks there are special. Cherry Hill campground(I think) was right at the end of a commuter line for easy access to the downtown.

Another good one was when we went to Maine with a stop in Boston. Those were some good fireworks. Acadia is beautiful with good hiking, biking and awesome Lobster! We didn't have any traffic issues that I'd complain about.

Then Philadelphia, events were good, but fireworks were disappointing. It was really cool to witness the reenactment of the reading of the Declaration!

We've done trips to the west too. We determined that anything west of Rushmore had to be two weeks to be worth while, as it is at least 2.5 days of driving to get there.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
4runnerguy wrote:
More than 1100 miles to Acadia NP on some of the most congested roads through some of the biggest cities on one of the busiest weeks for just a week-long vacation. Two hard days of driving each way. Doesn't seem very relaxing. The coast of Acadia NP is very scenic and cooler with the ocean currents. Lobsters, too.

How about Shenandoah National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway? The Pocono's? Find a funky little local town and celebrate the 4th there. May not have the big fireworks of the big cities, but we've had some great 4th's in some out of the way places.

But whatever you decide, early reservations are a must.

Double ditto. West VA has some great areas. Tennessee. Georgia state parks in the mountains of GA are closer to you and IMO just as scenic as Maine.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

MisconductOIB
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the great info after reading everything I believe we might scale back to Washington DC from the 2-5 then maybe hop over to VA Mountains till the 9th. So to all of you fellow anglers out there good campgrounds in VA Mountains with some decent trout fishing ideas.
2016 Days camped
2013 Tracer Air 240
2012 Ford Expedition

RVFamilyTravelA
Explorer
Explorer
We love Camden Hills State and Moorings Oceanfront RV Resort in Belfast. Both awesome. We also live the Bar Harbor KOA and the Bar Harbor Campground both right outside of Acadia. Life is short--if you want to drive 1000 miles to Maine for a week then do it! Driving through the night (if you are comfortable with it) eliminates traffic issues.

Jeremy

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
2016 is the 100 th anniversary of our National Park system. I think there will be some exciting events in honor of it. Try a park closer than Maine for this year. Maybe next year you can get 10 days and try Maine?
Agreed that a place closer would give all of you more time to enjoy your time together.

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
... Black flies and mosquitoes should be at least somewhat manageable. ...
Black fly season is generally Mother's Day to Father's Day. Skeeters WILL be out in full force.

In the Northeast the 4th is usually booked by January.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
4runnerguy wrote:
More than 1100 miles to Acadia NP on some of the most congested roads through some of the biggest cities on one of the busiest weeks for just a week-long vacation. Two hard days of driving each way. Doesn't seem very relaxing. The coast of Acadia NP is very scenic and cooler with the ocean currents. Lobsters, too.

How about Shenandoah National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway? The Pocono's? Find a funky little local town and celebrate the 4th there. May not have the big fireworks of the big cities, but we've had some great 4th's in some out of the way places.

This^^. Maine is a great destination however you just don't have enough to make the trip worthwhile. The drive time vs. relaxation time ratio puts you behind the wheel too long for the amount of time you have to work with.
As mentioned there are closer destinations that may not quite emulate Maine, But will allow for more relaxation time and provide a great vacation experience.
I would pick a closer destination. Traveling over the holidays just complicates the matter. The holiday will create more demand and crowds for all activities.
I did not always think this way however I have learned that RV'ing/camping is all about relaxation. If the schedule is too tight or the drive is too far relaxation time will be sacrificed.:E
The goal is too relax and have fun.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with those who think 1000 miles one-way to lower Maine is too much for a one-week trip. We wouldn't want to go as far as Lake George, which is more than 800 miles.

I like 4runnerguy's suggestion,

We like out of the way places for 4th of July celebrations. Hungry Horse Montana had the wildest - people lined up for a quarter of a mile on both sides of the main drag, US 2, shooting off big fireworks, sometimes across the street at each other. We were there for 2 hours and it was still going on when we left.

Clinton Oklahoma had the weirdest - when we there many years ago, the fireworks happened around 8 pm. I never realized the smoke patterns were so interesting. (Now, they start the fireworks at 10 pm.)

Whatever you decide to do, make early reservations and have fun.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on what 4Runnerguy stated. If you don't book VERY soon you may lose out. 1100 miles each way is too much for a week. It's 2 days up, 5 days on-site and then 2 days back. Wipes out much of your relaxation just trying to get home.

If you want coastal, there's the Ocean City, MD area. We haven't been but others rave about it. What about Gettysburg? Mountains are beautiful, lots of history, you aren't far from Hershey park and it's just a great place to kick around in. Colonial Williamsburg is a great place as well. Again, history, Busch Gardens (although it isn't as good as it used to be when Anheiser-Busch owned it), and you aren't from VA beach. I'm not a fan of the VA beach area but other's love it.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If going anywhere in the general New England area (and probably other areas as well), make reservations sooner rather than later. Campgrounds will fill up, doubly so this year with people having a three-day weekend.

Maine certainly has charming areas, and it's usually a pleasant time of year to be around there. Black flies and mosquitoes should be at least somewhat manageable. The White Mountains of New Hampshire are also lovely.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Old Orchard Beach area in southern Maine. The area is VERY popular with campers/rvers. Old Orchard Beach Campgrounds & Scarborough Beach Campgrounds

lots to do to keep the family occupied , Beach, amusement parks, water parks, board walks, great seafood.

Of the campgrounds that we have been to, Bayley's camping resort has the most bell & whistles, has a trolley to take you to the beach. Paradise Park camping resort is some what quieter and closer to the beach. Hid'n Pines family campground is good too. All the campgrounds are well run and get good reviews. We have enjoyed all the campgrounds for what they offer.

Also take a day trip to near by Perkins cove

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)