Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Border Regulations

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/garneau-negative-test-airline-1.5858379
The above regulation takes affect on Jan. 7. This will affect any snowbirds that had their car or rv shipped across the border as Canada is working on applying the test rule to land crossings. I also wonder if any US citizens will be allowed to cross Canada in order to get to Alaska. I expect we will see similar regulations from some US states. N.D already has a rule that requires anyone entering the state to be tested. This does not apply to travelers who are not staying overnight. Unfortunately the Canadian Government did not realize that this regulation is going to cause lots of problems. Stay tuned!
71 REPLIES 71

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe he should have gone to a different crossing. The major crossings are all open. Canada does not have any regs not allowing Canadians to return but maybe some of the smaller crossings are only taking commercial traffic. That story stillsmells.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
moisheh wrote:
The border is not closed to Canadians. If your friend has a Canadian passport they cannot refuse entry. Something is missing in that story.

I said โ€œWhen he arrived at the Canadian border this morning he was told the border was closed to land crossings other than essential traffic.โ€.

They can, and have, RESTRICTED how & where you can cross. Under the Quarantine Act they have broad powers to restrict travel, even within Canada.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
The border is not closed to Canadians. If your friend has a Canadian passport they cannot refuse entry. Something is missing in that story.

But I read it on the Internet.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Darryl&Rita wrote:
It won't affect anyone who shipped their vehicles, they only flew to get around the land crossing restrictions. They will be allowed to drive back, unless the rules morph yet again.

Donโ€™t count on that. I heard today from a friend of the family who thought heโ€™d fly through the loopholes. He flew to Florida from Toronto, spent a week in the sun then wandered homewards in his parents motorhome abandoned down there in the spring. When he arrived at the Canadian border this morning he was told the border was closed to land crossings other than essential traffic. He says he protested that he was a Canadian citizen heading home. The CBSA agent smiled and told him should have bought a round-trip airline ticket.

He is boondocking in Michigan tonight hoping he can find a storage yard for the motorhome on the US side. He wants to know if Iโ€™d fly over & bring him back over the border.

Film at 11 ..........

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the USA is also going to require a Covid test for all airline travelers entering the USA. All the details have yet to be released

Ezlife55
Explorer
Explorer
Yes M, all u posted is correct. Westjets website has a page of up to date info and a link to Transport Canada. Generally rapid tests appear to be unacceptable. Some places in AZ may have better turnaround on 'regular' tests but so far in 85364 you can't expect/depend on a 72 hr turnaround. Also the gov't is looking at imposing the covid testing requirement at land ports. Stay tuned. Might have to take a ferry to Van Island unless they shut that off too.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Trudeau's gov. rushed to publish new regs without thinking. I checked a number of states and 3 to 5 days to get results is common. So if you have an airline reservation for 3 days hence and your test is not ready you not only cannot board
but being as that test is now outdated one would have to start over. I did see that AZ offers 48 hour results and it is free. In many states the cost is around $125.00. If you somehow arrive without a test or it is not an approved test you must go to a Federal quarantine facility. You also have to pay for the use of that facility.Presently there are only 2 approved locations. Both are in Quebec! What a joke.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Ezlife55 wrote:
BarbaraNOtOK-You should put your brain in gear b4 using the keyboard. I was relating what's available in Yuma-no mention of the rest of the country. I didn't say I was driving. It's not too likely an airline is going to stop over so a passenger can get a covid test.

You have a direct flight from Yuma to a city in Canada?

Flying out of Phoenix or Tucson, or San Diego, plenty of labs doing PCR tests with 2-3 day turn around. Stay in hotel near the airport, get test done, get result and fly home.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Ezlife55 wrote:
Yep our rocket scientist has really messed up. I read the req'ts today. Main problem is that rapid result tests will not be recognized. I phoned around Yuma and all providers have a 3-7 bus. day turnaround...tough to squeeze into 72 hours. Hopefully they fix it by the end of March.

Means you'll need to stop near a major city on way north that has a lot more testing available. Don't judge the rest of the country by what is available in Yuma.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Ezlife55
Explorer
Explorer
Yep our rocket scientist has really messed up. I read the req'ts today. Main problem is that rapid result tests will not be recognized. I phoned around Yuma and all providers have a 3-7 bus. day turnaround...tough to squeeze into 72 hours. Hopefully they fix it by the end of March.

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
It won't affect anyone who shipped their vehicles, they only flew to get around the land crossing restrictions. They will be allowed to drive back, unless the rules morph yet again. This newest development is probably 3 months late. The real question is when the ruling elite will get their heads wrapped around the rules they're implementing.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5856551
While hiding behind fake Twitter posts, to appear at home: https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/30/canada-finance-minister-caribbean-vacation-covid-travel-warnings

Alberta doesn't want Ontario to feel left out: https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5859031
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er