Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New campgrounds by Myrtle Beach SC

Kebamo
Explorer
Explorer
CONWAY
A new 840-site RV resort is coming to Horry County.
The first phase of the 300-acre resort could open on Highway 90 less than a mile and a half west of Highway 22 in about a year with about 470 campsites, said Sun Communities President John McLaren. Sun Communities is opening the resort, the company's first camping venture into South Carolina.
Mindy Kirtley, Vice President of Sun RV Resorts, said the location was chosen based off a number of factors, including proximity to the beach and natural surroundings.
"But most importantly, this location provides the space needed to develop the resort with all amenities for our guests to enjoy right on the property," Kirtley said.

A preliminary study done during the initial rezoning of the property showed that 900 occupied campsites would generate about 2,000 trips in and out of the facility per day during weekdays when the campground is at capacity.

But councilor Johnny Vaught said traffic wouldn't be an issue.
"The neat thing about that location is it's so close to (Highway) 22," said Vaught, who also owns an RV. "Those RVs are not going to come down from Conway towards there. They're going to come down 22 and (Highway) 31 and zip right in there. I don't think the residents in that area are even going to notice any increase in traffic."
The first phase could be done by Memorial Day 2019, McLaren said.
"From my perspective and my role in the company, itโ€™s never fast enough," McLaren said. "Weโ€™re looking at some time in the second quarter of 2019. Before Memorial Day. Thatโ€™s the goal. "
WHAT WILL IT LOOK LIKE?

The RV resort is basically a large campground with resort-style perks. There's room for RV campsites as well as cabins.
"Really what youโ€™re getting is the affordability, but youโ€™re still getting the kind of amenities that youโ€™d expect from a high-end resort," McLaren said. "Thatโ€™s the unique difference between us and so many other offerings that might be out there. A lot of what we do from an amenities standpoint comes from the direct feedback from our guests that we have all over the country and the types of things that they want."
The resort will feature indoor and outdoor pools, a water park, jacuzzis, a bowling alley, dog park, playgrounds and volleyball and basketball courts, among others.

It will also have an arcade, a resort bistro and snack bar.
This is the company's first camping resort in South Carolina. McLaren said the community responded well to the Lakeside Crossing retirement community, which is also run by Sun Communities.

"Weโ€™ve had a great experience, weโ€™ve had a lot of support from the community so it made a lot of sense to start another development," McLaren said.

The first phase of the resort will feature all the amenities and 470 campsites, and is planned to open before Memorial Day 2019. The first phase could bring around 100 jobs to the area, McLaren said. The second phase with the rest of the 840 campsites could be finished within a couple of years.
McLaren said the ratio of campsites to cabins and the rates campers will pay haven't been finalized.
"I'd like to see a lot of the local people that now go up to Tabor City up to Yogi Bear's up there or to North Carolina to Willow Tree, I'd like to see this one instead, do good business and not have to travel as far for the same kind of amenities," Vaught said
?Read more here: https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/article208458604.html#storylink=cpy
Karl & Bobbi
1994 Coachman Leprechaun Class C
2 B 1 ASK 1
Retired/DAV
Passport America Member R-0310475
Good Sams Club Member
KE3NF Advance Class Ham Radio Operator
Conway, SC. USA
11 REPLIES 11

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I don't forsee my wanting to pay to stay in Conway when I can stay for a few more bucks on the beach.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Hokiehall wrote:
Terryallan wrote:

The ONLY reason for going to Myrtle Beach, is the beach. A CG NOT on the beach gives no reason to go there. IF I can't walk out of my camper, and onto the beach in less than 50 yards, I'd just as soon be in the mountains

Exactly!

I don't quite see it that way. If you ever stayed at Myrtle Beaches big three CG's you know that the beach is less than 50 yards away. However these CG's a very large and very busy which means there are about a million people about 50 yards from the beach as well.
While I like the convenience of having the beach 50 yards away. I don't like the crowds that come with it.
Having a less crowded CG away from the beach is OK. The state parks in Myrtle beach's state park CG's are a good compromise between crowds and convenience.
Another consideration is a place like MB has lots of things to do away from the beach. The beach does not have to be your centerpiece,there are lots of other unique attractions away from the beach.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
I canโ€™t ever imagine wanting to go to a place that large. Give me MBSP or HBSP any day.

amen....love both of them. but don't tell too many people they are already crowded

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:

The ONLY reason for going to Myrtle Beach, is the beach. A CG NOT on the beach gives no reason to go there. IF I can't walk out of my camper, and onto the beach in less than 50 yards, I'd just as soon be in the mountains

Exactly!

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would bet it looks like this.

You can have it.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have friends in Conway, but just go through there enroute to MB. I cannot imagine a park that size being successful in Conway unless the price is low and the amenities wonderful.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

charming
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
I canโ€™t ever imagine wanting to go to a place that large. Give me MBSP or HBSP any day.

Lol, I was looking at parks in the Phoenix area, Quite a few have over a thousand spaces! I can't imagine.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kebamo wrote:
CONWAY
A new 840-site RV resort is coming to Horry County.
The first phase of the 300-acre resort could open on Highway 90 less than a mile and a half west of Highway 22 in about a year with about 470 campsites, said Sun Communities President John McLaren. Sun Communities is opening the resort, the company's first camping venture into South Carolina.
Mindy Kirtley, Vice President of Sun RV Resorts, said the location was chosen based off a number of factors, including proximity to the beach and natural surroundings.
"But most importantly, this location provides the space needed to develop the resort with all amenities for our guests to enjoy right on the property," Kirtley said.

A preliminary study done during the initial rezoning of the property showed that 900 occupied campsites would generate about 2,000 trips in and out of the facility per day during weekdays when the campground is at capacity.

But councilor Johnny Vaught said traffic wouldn't be an issue.
"The neat thing about that location is it's so close to (Highway) 22," said Vaught, who also owns an RV. "Those RVs are not going to come down from Conway towards there. They're going to come down 22 and (Highway) 31 and zip right in there. I don't think the residents in that area are even going to notice any increase in traffic."
The first phase could be done by Memorial Day 2019, McLaren said.
"From my perspective and my role in the company, itโ€™s never fast enough," McLaren said. "Weโ€™re looking at some time in the second quarter of 2019. Before Memorial Day. Thatโ€™s the goal. "
WHAT WILL IT LOOK LIKE?

The RV resort is basically a large campground with resort-style perks. There's room for RV campsites as well as cabins.
"Really what youโ€™re getting is the affordability, but youโ€™re still getting the kind of amenities that youโ€™d expect from a high-end resort," McLaren said. "Thatโ€™s the unique difference between us and so many other offerings that might be out there. A lot of what we do from an amenities standpoint comes from the direct feedback from our guests that we have all over the country and the types of things that they want."
The resort will feature indoor and outdoor pools, a water park, jacuzzis, a bowling alley, dog park, playgrounds and volleyball and basketball courts, among others.

It will also have an arcade, a resort bistro and snack bar.
This is the company's first camping resort in South Carolina. McLaren said the community responded well to the Lakeside Crossing retirement community, which is also run by Sun Communities.

"Weโ€™ve had a great experience, weโ€™ve had a lot of support from the community so it made a lot of sense to start another development," McLaren said.

The first phase of the resort will feature all the amenities and 470 campsites, and is planned to open before Memorial Day 2019. The first phase could bring around 100 jobs to the area, McLaren said. The second phase with the rest of the 840 campsites could be finished within a couple of years.
McLaren said the ratio of campsites to cabins and the rates campers will pay haven't been finalized.
"I'd like to see a lot of the local people that now go up to Tabor City up to Yogi Bear's up there or to North Carolina to Willow Tree, I'd like to see this one instead, do good business and not have to travel as far for the same kind of amenities," Vaught said
?Read more here: https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/article208458604.html#storylink=cpy

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Kebamo
Explorer
Explorer
Lose for me I live off 905 by old reavers ferry road itโ€™s about 5 miles away beats fighting the traffic to the beach hahahah
Karl & Bobbi
1994 Coachman Leprechaun Class C
2 B 1 ASK 1
Retired/DAV
Passport America Member R-0310475
Good Sams Club Member
KE3NF Advance Class Ham Radio Operator
Conway, SC. USA

charming
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, because Hwy 90 needs 2,000 cars and vehicles a day.

I tracked down the location a couple of months ago. When I found it,meh, Not easy access to the beach. Easy shot to Conway or to the river.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.