cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

North GA Campground Fall 2014

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
Any recommendations on a North GA campground in the mountains with FHU? Would like to take a long weekend with the family and see some colors. It would be nice if the campground would have some river/creek access and be in the mountains vs. the outskirts. Thanks in advance!!
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs
12 REPLIES 12

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Vogel SP south of Blairsville, Georgia but probably already full. Trackrock CG may have space.

Another vote for Trackrock! They have everything you're looking for and then some. Nice big clean wooded sites, playgrounds, lake, hiking trails, horseback riding, TV room, and hayrides on Saturday night. Surrounded on 3 sides by Chattahoochee National Forest and mountains, so it's very quiet. Very nice family campground. We go up there every chance we get.

You should be able to get something in Sept, but if you need a weekend in Oct you may be out of luck. That's high season in the mountains.
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

love2rvcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind campgrounds in Hiawassee are close to Helen, Brasstown Bald and the water falls I would want to know I had full hookups and not first come me last with water and electric.
Mike and Michelle and 2 kids
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
2008 Rockwood 8313SS
Equalizer hitch with Envoy brake controller

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
majorgator wrote:
Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions. Looks like Unicoi State Park fits the bill. I think it has pretty much everything we're looking for, and Octoberfest might be an interesting way to spend a day ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope you are able to get in this late in the calendar. It's first come first served for picking sites and the FHUs are the first to fill up.

A note: last year when we stayed there, we noticed the company managing the park "renovated" many of the FHU sites and it made many of them shorter. The personnel in the office said it was because of erosion from two summers of heavy rains running into the tiny creek that runs behind the sites. As a result those folks had to park their tow vehicle and cars down around the corner because they wouldn't fit into the site.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions. Looks like Unicoi State Park fits the bill. I think it has pretty much everything we're looking for, and Octoberfest might be an interesting way to spend a day ๐Ÿ™‚
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
love2rvcamp wrote:
My choice would be Riverbend RV in Hiawassee Full hooks, cable tv, river running behind campground

Thanks for mentioning this. Forgot to add it to the list.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

love2rvcamp
Explorer
Explorer
My choice would be Riverbend RV in Hiawassee Full hooks, cable tv, river running behind campground
Mike and Michelle and 2 kids
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
2008 Rockwood 8313SS
Equalizer hitch with Envoy brake controller

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We had no trouble with a 35' long TT at unicoi. You may if you you go all the way around to the "Laurel Ridge "area and loop around to the "Big Brook Spur" area (FHU). But if you turn down into the FHU area (that road is 2-way up until the circle going into "Hickory Hollow (walk in campsites), you will be able to back in easily without a hard turn.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vogel State Park doesn't have full hook ups.
Unicoi's FHU sites are difficult to back into with longer rigs but they are on the creek.
Cloudland is great but doesn't have FHU.
Trackrock Campground in Blairsville has FHU and beach swimming on a small lake.
Bald Mountain Camping Resort in Hiawassee has FHU.

If you're willing to drive about 40 minutes north of Blairsville there's a Murphy NC cg called Peace Valley KOA with FHU on a small river.

If you do choose Unicoi know that you should check for openings now as they are often booked a year in advance for Fall spots.

Magnus

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Vogel SP south of Blairsville, Georgia but probably already full. Trackrock CG may have space.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desoto state park would be my Choice. Close to little River Canyon. FHU's Lodge with good food, Hiking, streams. Great place. Park reviews, Fort Payne Ala. Look it up.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We like Unicoi State Park in Helen, Georgia....not all sites are FHU.... you have to specify...If you are going in October, be aware that Octoberfest will be going on there in Helen (alpine german village like).
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My pick for best colors is CLOUDLAND CANYON at Trenton GA, I don't think they have full hook up however..

The fall colors is outstanding there...

Just down the road about 30 miles at DESOTA STATE PARK on the same LOOKOUT MTN at Fort Payne ALA does have full hook ups...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS