cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ohio: Hocking Hills or Cuyahoga National Park

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Debating if we should check out either of these places for an extended weekend. Our kids are 11, 9, and 5. We'd like to check out the area and go for walks/hikes, keeping in mind it has to be paced for a 5 year old. We don't need any extreme rock climbing. Fishing is always a favorite as well.

Is one better than the other? They both look interesting, especially since we are so close.

Does anyone know if camping is available in either of the parks? I could find some campgrounds near the areas of either of these parks, but not IN the parks. Unless of course I am looking in the wrong area.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog
16 REPLIES 16

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
atreis wrote:

...For an interesting place to stay in Akron (not camping), check out the Quaker Square Inn.

The former Quaker Square Hilton/Inn is now owned by the University of Akron and is student housing.

Didn't know that. (I think the last time I was in that location it was a Courtyard Marriot.) Ahh well...
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
Stan Hywet hall is very interesting tour and very close to Cuyahoga valley. http://www.stanhywet.org/

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
atreis wrote:

...For an interesting place to stay in Akron (not camping), check out the Quaker Square Inn.

The former Quaker Square Hilton/Inn is now owned by the University of Akron and is student housing.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if this fits into your plans but Cuyahoga NP is close to Cleveland if weather falls apart. Science museum, rock HOF, Football HOF in nearby canton, well its Cleveland so you can do anything except win games.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Biking: Cuyahoga Valley
Hiking: Hocking Hills

Both have both, though. Hocking Hills is a lot hillier, and more scenic. There are many trails that are accessible for kids (Ash Cave, Old Man's Cave, Conkles Hollow, various others). All in all, there's some great hiking. That same hilliness doesn't lend itself to good bicycling though, especially for kids. Cuyahoga Valley is more tame, has a really nice bike path, good hiking (although less scenic), and has more other attractions like the scenic railroad, and some nice small towns.

There's A LOT more camping in Hocking Hills (various state parks - the primary of which is Old Man's Cave campground at Hocking Hills SP, but there are others, as well as state forest and National Forest campgrounds). The only camping I know of at Cuyahoga Valley is for backpackers/overnight-bikers - not car camping - there's one small campground mainly setup for backpackers. There's also Portage Lakes SP just south of Akron, but it's not all that great.

For an interesting place to stay in Akron (not camping), check out the Quaker Square Inn.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Cuyahoga Valley National Park has an excellent bike/hike trail. It is the towpath trail and follows the old Ohio-Erie canal.

There is also the Cuyahoga Valley railroad. You can load your bikes on the train, ride one way, then unload the bikes and pedal back. I think the charge is $2 per person/bike. Occasionally Thomas has been in the park. Some research should give you dates.

There are also many miles of excellent hiking only trails.

Hocking HIlls is also good but not particularly bicycle accessible to my knowledge. Lots of great hiking though.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
camperforlife wrote:

If it matters to you, there is very poor or non-existent cell coverage at the park but great coverage when you get back to the main highway.

Agreed. I have AT&T and you should assume you'll have no signal in many or most areas of the park.
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
There is a bike trail near Hocking Hills. It is about a 30 minute drive to the trail. It goes from Nelsonville to Athens. I can't remember but I think it is about 18 miles long. There is also canoeing nearby as well.

If it matters to you, there is very poor or non-existent cell coverage at the park but great coverage when you get back to the main highway.

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
ktosv wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
We stay at the Streetsboro KOA and ride the bike trails in the Cuyahoga NP and occasionally take the train to a stop and ride back.

We have done the Cuyahoga NP three times with our 4 kids (now 12, 10, 7, 6). Do you have a "tag-a-long" or a bike trailer? We started out with the trailer (when the youngest was 2) and now the youngest rides a tag-a-long on these types of trips.

As Dick mentioned, there is the scenic railway that runs through the park and along the river and tow path. They have had a program called Bike-a-Board. You ride the trail and then when you get tired you find a station. Flag the train down and it will take you back to where you came from (as long as it's headed that direction). It is like $3 per person for the ride and is well worth it. If the little ones are riding we ride north as it is more downhill.

If you aren't into biking you can hike the tow path trail and there are several county park paths that spur off of the NP trail.

We have not camped but have stayed at a hotel in Twinsburg. I have however been eyeing campgrounds in the area in anticipation of making this a camping trip next year. Dick, how is that KoA?

This sounds perfect. We actually prefer biking over hiking, but somehow I forgot to mention that in my original post. Yes we bought the tag along last summer while up at Ludington and our 5 year old absolutely loves the thing. We love to bike and the train sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for mentioning going north as a downhill sounds more enjoyable for little legs.
Do you ride right from the campground into the park, or do you drive in. I have no idea of the proximity between these two places. Thanks
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
We stay at the Streetsboro KOA and ride the bike trails in the Cuyahoga NP and occasionally take the train to a stop and ride back.

We have done the Cuyahoga NP three times with our 4 kids (now 12, 10, 7, 6). Do you have a "tag-a-long" or a bike trailer? We started out with the trailer (when the youngest was 2) and now the youngest rides a tag-a-long on these types of trips.

As Dick mentioned, there is the scenic railway that runs through the park and along the river and tow path. They have had a program called Bike-a-Board. You ride the trail and then when you get tired you find a station. Flag the train down and it will take you back to where you came from (as long as it's headed that direction). It is like $3 per person for the ride and is well worth it. If the little ones are riding we ride north as it is more downhill.

If you aren't into biking you can hike the tow path trail and there are several county park paths that spur off of the NP trail.

We have not camped but have stayed at a hotel in Twinsburg. I have however been eyeing campgrounds in the area in anticipation of making this a camping trip next year. Dick, how is that KoA?
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clicky
Here is where to reserve Ohio State Park sites

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
One deciding factor may be that Cuyahoga National Park does not have any camping other than a few primitive camp sites for tents and no room for even parking RV's. It is however a very nice park.

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Hocking Hills. Have made the 270 mile drive from Jackson, MI 2 years in a row for 4 day weekends. no less than 5 different places to see and hike within about 6 miles of the state campground. Here are a few links for you if you have not seen then yet.

Hocking Hills State Park
Conkles Hollow
Rock House
Ash Cave
Cedar Falls

Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3