cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Olympian Wave 8 heater

Texas_Two_Stepp
Explorer
Explorer
My wave 8 heater is beginning to emit a strong exhaust smell and is getting hard to start. It is 4 years old and is also starting to soot at the burner. Will replacing the media take care of these issues or should I have it rebuilt or replaced?Your thoughts please.
2015 Duramax 3500 dually 4x4
2013 Excel Winslow 31RSE
TST tire monitor
Magnum MS 2012 inverter/charger
3-135w solar panels
Tristar controller
Trimetric monitor
4-6v Trojan t105 batteries
B & W companion 3000 hitch
6 REPLIES 6

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
It is at end of life! Remember dust is your enemy! I have cover for mine and even keep it in thr original box in a closet when not in use.

Call Olypian and get estimate on the freight costs, cost of replacing the platinum pad. I found that you can purchase a brand new one on line for not much more.
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
They fail if they get to much dust on the pad. Ours starting smelling like propane and we sent it back to be repaired. It works well now but it is expensive. It is best to cover it with plastic sheet when not in use. We have thought of covering the grill with glass but not have done such.
Reed and Elaine

Texas_Two_Stepp
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi RoyB,

I thought catalytic heaters did not show a flame.

It has a flame when you first light it.
2015 Duramax 3500 dually 4x4
2013 Excel Winslow 31RSE
TST tire monitor
Magnum MS 2012 inverter/charger
3-135w solar panels
Tristar controller
Trimetric monitor
4-6v Trojan t105 batteries
B & W companion 3000 hitch

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Wave 6 does not have a blue flame. The medium glows an orange color when it's lit.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi RoyB,

I thought catalytic heaters did not show a flame.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the flame is not burning BLUE it will soot up on you big time. You may have to clean the flu and other areas around the burner to get the BLUE FLAME back.

It could also be not enough oxygen around the heater to work properly... The trick is to always see a BLUE FLAME...

How does the propane flame look when using the stove top burners. same thing there - should be a good BLUE FLAME...

Do a GOOGLE SEARCH with the same question... Lots of info there...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS