cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New inverter, new frig - Magnum ME2012

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
Recently we had our Norcold 1200 replaced with a new Fisher & Paykel residential refrigerator which is supposed to have an inverter controlled compressor (variable speed). Our Newmar motorhome never had an inverter, so the RV shop installed an inverter and it all seems to work just fine. Everything has power while on the inverter except the water heater and A/C units. The inverter they installed is a Magnum inverter. It is a model ME2012-20B. It is a gray colored cabinet and I think it is a modified sine wave, not a pure sine wave. My question is, SHOULD I BE CONCERNED that they did not put a pure sine wave? I suppose the pure sine wave was slightly more, but they really never asked me about this prior to installing, I just knew they were installing a Magnum inverter.
Should I insist on changing this out and replacing it with the pure sine unit??
5 REPLIES 5

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™ve got too much good electronic stuff to trust using a MSW inverter.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lord help me if I ever trust an RV shop to do anything pertaining to electrical work.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
No trouble with two different res fridges (120v only) with MSW inverters.

Have a PSW one now that runs the 1990 RV microwave OEM in this MH, which will not run on MSW. However all the newer (since 2003) MWs we have tried with MSW in our RVs ran ok.

A friend with a newer fancy sewing machine could not run it on MSW. It needed PSW.

So it depends if you will be wanting to run anything that does need PSW, but the fridge will be ok.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that is a modified sine wave inverter. Your microwave won't like it, but if the refrigerator use a variable speed compressor, it won't care. (The 120VAC is converted to variable frequency 3 phase.)

Modified sine wave inverters a less efficient. For $200-$300 more, you could have gotten a pure sine wave inverter/charger/automatic transfer switch. Get rid of your converter (wire the DC distribution panel directly to the house batteries). The automatic transfer switch means you will have AC as long as you are plugged in or have adequate battery power.

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
comment deleted.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad