cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oneida, Tn

AlabamaTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever camped in this area? Need some info on this part of Tn. Thanks.........
Lawrence, Dianne "Roll Tide"
7 REPLIES 7

AlabamaTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the info. We are leaving tomorrow morning for Bandy Creek campground. Reservations for 7 nites. Our 18 year old grand daughter who recently graduated from high school is going with us. She loves the "outdoor world". Thanks again.........
Lawrence, Dianne "Roll Tide"

bodyshop_bob
Explorer
Explorer
Grew up in the area. Bandy Creek is nice. Agree with trip to Stearns and the sites up in KY. Another option is in Huntsville area. Trails End CG is nice but caters to ATV riders taking advantage of Brimstone which is a massive ATV area. If you ever go back look into a city called Rugby. A neat little community founded by some English group dedicated to a Utopian society. A number of historic homes still exist and it is worth the visit.
Bob & Carla
Josh & Emily
mostly Lab mix Eryn
Chase is waiting for us at the Bridge
2007 Chevrolet 2500 D/A
2015 Jayco 339 FLQS

americanrascal
Explorer
Explorer
I totally agree that the 127 approach to Bandy Creek would be more comfortable if you are towing.

We went up the east side on 75 on purpose to catch Sweetwater Valley Farm off 75 north of Chatt and to visit Clinton (antiques etc) north of Knoxville. Glad we did as they were worth the visit. Man the cheeses at Sweetwater Valley were yummy!!! Loaded the fridge on the unit up and we are still knawing on that cheese here at the house!!

car2900
Explorer
Explorer
AlabamaTraveler
Your easiest way to Bandy Creek Big South Fork would be come up Hwy. 127 and come in from the West.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40 AH
2010 Chevy HHR toad
Blue Ox Avail - SMI AF-1

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
americanrascal wrote:

We loved Big South Fork NP, Oneida, and Stearns, KY and are definitely going back again. If you go-- make the short run a few miles above Oneida up to Stearns , KY and take the train down into the park along the river to the Blue Heron Mine town. A very low cost excursion on a scenic train into the river valley to the Blue Heron Interpretive Mine town. Stearns (the town) was a fantastic experience as was the train (the dogs got to ride the train too and had a blast!)

One thing to watch out for is if you go to or from Oneida to Bandy Creek CG is that there are significant hair-pin turns with 13 % grades into and out of the river valley to get to the park. We did them with our truck camper but I won't do it with our 5th wheel. All that said many folks very carefully and successfully negotiate the road daily. I am not that brave though with our 5th wheel so will continue to visit in the TC.

Thanks for the HT about the train. We hope to do that one in the near future.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

americanrascal
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from up there on a trip to Big South Fork National Park and Oneida. It was a GREAT camping trip.

Big South Fork is a rather elongated park running along the Big South Fork River from southern Kentucky to South of Oneida in TN with Oneida being the jumping off town. Oneida is a nice little town (has a great Walmart!) and has a few good restaurants.

We stayed at Bandy Creek Campground in the Big South Fork. Nice park. Not sure if this is important to you but for a national park it is VERY dog friendly. Bandy Creek is about 20 minutes west of Oneida. There is another Campground (Blue Heron )on the north end of the park, north of Oneida.The river and valley is spectacular.

We are a bit partial to loving Oneida as the DW spent her teen years there (many many moons ago) and had not been back in 40 years.

We loved Big South Fork NP, Oneida, and Stearns, KY and are definitely going back again. If you go-- make the short run a few miles above Oneida up to Stearns , KY and take the train down into the park along the river to the Blue Heron Mine town. A very low cost excursion on a scenic train into the river valley to the Blue Heron Interpretive Mine town. Stearns (the town) was a fantastic experience as was the train (the dogs got to ride the train too and had a blast!)

One thing to watch out for is if you go to or from Oneida to Bandy Creek CG is that there are significant hair-pin turns with 13 % grades into and out of the river valley to get to the park. We did them with our truck camper but I won't do it with our 5th wheel. All that said many folks very carefully and successfully negotiate the road daily. I am not that brave though with our 5th wheel so will continue to visit in the TC.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Insert the town's name into the campground search at Woodalls.com to come up with some leads. You cans also search under accommodations at TripAdvisor.com
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus