Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outer Banks

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
All-

We are looking into an Outer Banks camping vacation in June 2017. We would like to stay beachside if possible. I found the Hatteras KOA and Camp Hatteras however the sites look very close together. The state parks don't have any hook-ups which could be a problem since we are staying for 6 nights and driving 1000 miles. Any suggestions?
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana
24 REPLIES 24

outnabout
Explorer
Explorer
Camp Hateras. Spent a week there. Sites are a little tight and wifi is iffy but great people and park.
Craig & Arline
Montana 5er 3402 RL
2006 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
"On the Road Again..."

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
prolandsurveyor wrote:
we prefer teeters campround on ocracoke island.

Never knew about Teeters...Thanks for letting us know about it!
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Camp Hatterus on the ocean side, left side one site off of the dune line. There was plenty of room and it was great listening to the ocean waves at night. We would stay there again. My only sniglet is that after paying $83/night they wanted to charge me more for cable tv. I said why dont you just include it in the price! Seemed cheap to me after paying such a high rate. Any way I declined and set up my sat dish. Wouldnt you know the guy from the office came to verify that I wasnt hooking up to cablevision!

Other than that stupidity I would go again!
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

prolandsurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
we prefer teeters campround on ocracoke island.
2013 Thor majestic 28a
1971 vw superbeetle

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
mfinnerty wrote:
bgradert wrote:

I was debating going to the Outer Banks or Ludington Michigan and watching your review video, I think we will go to Michigan!

Wind, mosquitos, dirty beaches......!:(

Keep in mind Ludington also can have Wind, mosquitos, dirty beaches......! Almost forgot black flies.

We love Ludington when we can get reservations. We also enjoyed the OBX. We stayed at Ocean Waves as a base camp to explore north and south.

Both look nice. Can't go wrong either way!
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

mfinnerty
Explorer
Explorer
bgradert wrote:

I was debating going to the Outer Banks or Ludington Michigan and watching your review video, I think we will go to Michigan!

Keep in mind Ludington also can have Wind, mosquitos, dirty beaches......! Almost forgot black flies.

We love Ludington when we can get reservations. We also enjoyed the OBX. We stayed at Ocean Waves as a base camp to explore north and south.
Mike & Linda Finnerty with Finn & Rosco (Golden mix brothers)

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
bgradert wrote:
wbwood wrote:
Our videos from the Outer Banks

As I told you in the private message, don't plan your trip according to our experience. Most people enjoy it more than we did. We prefer the Nags Head area and north. We also like Ocracoke and probably where we would stay the next time we go. We didn't care for the Hatteras area. We also wouldn't go back in the summer time either. Spring or fall would be better.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:

2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
Campinghoss@51 wrote:
I have been going to the Outer Banks for 50 years. Ocean Waves is the only cg I stay at down there. Price is not a deal buster for us but paying twice or a little more to stay at Camp Hatteras or the KOA for the same ocean, view and sand does not appeal to us. The concrete pads are nice at O Waves. If you have young kids then there are more kid amenities at the KOA.

We have a 12 and a 8 year old. When we camp, they put miles on their bikes! I have received some great feedback and it sounds like Ocean Waves and the NPS are they way to go Oregon Inlet and Ocracoke being the favorites.
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been going to the Outer Banks for 50 years. Ocean Waves is the only cg I stay at down there. Price is not a deal buster for us but paying twice or a little more to stay at Camp Hatteras or the KOA for the same ocean, view and sand does not appeal to us. The concrete pads are nice at O Waves. If you have young kids then there are more kid amenities at the KOA.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
Busdriver wrote:
Ocean waves, enough said, run by a family of nice people concrete pads, and grass, for a lot less $$ don't know about now but used to Mail res, in first of Jan. Check out there web site.

I looked at the Ocean Waves website and the pictures made it seem like you were camping in a neighborhood!
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

Busdriver
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ocean waves, enough said, run by a family of nice people concrete pads, and grass, for a lot less $$ don't know about now but used to Mail res, in first of Jan. Check out there web site.

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
We've been going to Camp Hatteras or years. They have a pretty robust activity schedule to keep your kids engaged in the summer.