cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Park Recommendation-Jackson WY and South

kfrost72
Explorer
Explorer
We're driving to Yellowstone and coming up through the south entrance, through 189 into Jackson. We've got a reservation in Teton, but would like to stop and spend just a few hours in Jackson. Maybe cut what would be a 350 mile stretch from Twin Falls Id to Teton into a small chunk.

I searched for RV camps in Jackson or just to the south and looked at the online reviews. Some are pretty scathing and I don't know if it's just bad customers, one off incidences or the camp. Anyone have any recommendations for something close to Jackson but on the south side. Something we can pull in, unhook, and maybe drive the truck in for the obligatory picture under the antlers.
4 REPLIES 4

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I found this site - http://yellowstonerv.com/rv-camping-site/ - it may be an older RV park that has not had good review, but the site indicates they've gone through a renovation. With only staying a short time, it may be worth checking.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to that area multiple times and the options IN Jackson are sparse. We've stayed on the Idaho side at the Teton Valley CG in Victor, Idaho and driven over Teton Pass to spend time in Jackson. We've stayed at Teton Canyon FS CG East of Driggs, and driven in for the day. We've stayed at Colter Bay RV CG off Jackson Lake and driven in. We've also stayed off the Togwotee Pass between Moose and DuBois, Wyoming at Falls CG and have driven in. We've even stayed at Gros Ventre in GTNP. We've also stayed at Flagg Ranch off the Rockefeller Causeway. If you are staying just for the day or a few hours, the closer the better. Try Gros Ventre first or even Colter Bay as they're closer and both are scenic. As noted in a previous response, there are FS CG's East of Hoeback Junction. For our rig, we wouldn't fit there, but you may.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
We haven't been impressed with any of the private CGs we've driven by between Alpine & Jackson. Stayed years ago at the KOA south of Jackson and decided not to go back there again. I don't know if it's improved since. Sounds like Gros Ventre might be a good choice, if the parking lots won't work for you.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I know of several campgrounds south of Jackson, but have never stayed in any of them. There is a campground at the Palisades Reservoir on route 26 just below the dam. Looked nice when we drove by. There are a couple of Forest Service campgrounds along 189 in the Snake River Canyon. There is a private campground (I think a KOA) just north of Hoback Junction.

Don't know if you are towing something really long, but there is an RV/bus parking lot in Jackson on East Gill Ave two blocks north of the antler arches. We have also parked our Class C on a side street a few times.

About 10 miles north of Jackson is the Gros Ventre campground where we always stay. No reservations & no hookups, but hardly ever fills.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂