cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Philidelphia

Retired_VSP
Explorer II
Explorer II
Planning a trip and will be passing by Philidelphia on the west side .. We are looking for a decent rv park convienant to Philly for a couple of days. We have a motorhome with toad. Does anyone have any suggestions. TIA
Bobby and Lynda
Retired VSP and High School Counselor, respectively
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value".....Albert Einstein
13 REPLIES 13

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Retired VSP wrote:
Great info....we are actually heading on up to Normandy Farms at Foxborough and hope to visit Cape Cod and do the Freedom Trail in Boston. Thank you very much...very helpful!

Ok if you're headed that way, then here's Jerry's secret route from the TZ Bridge.

Take I-684 to I-84 to I-691 and CT Rt 66 to Middletown. Then take Ct 9 to I-95 in Old Lyme and I-95 to I-195to I-495 north.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Retired_VSP
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
We stay at Timberlane/South Philly KOA every time we go south. They are open year round but not quite below the "dewinterize" line.

The transient spots are in the front and pull through. Of course now that KOA has taken over, the rates have gone up. But it's about a 30 minute ride to Philly and not much traffic.

Going to Boston, take I-295 to I-195 to I-95 to Woodbridge then pick up the Garden State Parkway. If traffic is not too bad (weekday rush hours are miserable), then stay on the GSP to I-287 and across the Hudson on the Tappan Zee. ($14.75 for a motor home). To miss the GSP, from Woodbridge take the I-287 loop around to the west. Longer distance, shorter time.

After crossing the Hudson, you have a choice. You can take I-287 to I-95 (not recommended) or I-684 to I-84 to I-90. I-84 through Danbury/Watebury CT is miserable and Hartford can also be a problem.

If time isn't a factor, stay on I-87 north to pick up the Mass Pike (I-90) south of Albany.

Great info....we are actually heading on up to Normandy Farms at Foxborough and hope to visit Cape Cod and do the Freedom Trail in Boston. Thank you very much...very helpful!
Bobby and Lynda
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value".....Albert Einstein

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stay at Timberlane/South Philly KOA every time we go south. They are open year round but not quite below the "dewinterize" line.

The transient spots are in the front and pull through. Of course now that KOA has taken over, the rates have gone up. But it's about a 30 minute ride to Philly and not much traffic.

Going to Boston, take I-295 to I-195 to I-95 to Woodbridge then pick up the Garden State Parkway. If traffic is not too bad (weekday rush hours are miserable), then stay on the GSP to I-287 and across the Hudson on the Tappan Zee. ($14.75 for a motor home). To miss the GSP, from Woodbridge take the I-287 loop around to the west. Longer distance, shorter time.

After crossing the Hudson, you have a choice. You can take I-287 to I-95 (not recommended) or I-684 to I-84 to I-90. I-84 through Danbury/Watebury CT is miserable and Hartford can also be a problem.

If time isn't a factor, stay on I-87 north to pick up the Mass Pike (I-90) south of Albany.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Retired_VSP
Explorer II
Explorer II
2 Retired wrote:
STEVE B has it right. You NEVER want to travel on I 95 (NJ Turnpike and GW Bridge) if you can avoid it - particularly with an RV. Horrific traffic, narrow lanes, exorbitant tolls - and did I mention the traffic! Garden State Parkway to Tappan Zee Bridge is the ONLY way we go - avoids NYC completely. There can be traffic, and yes, there are tolls, but both are far less 'demanding and stressful' than the other route. Have a fun and safe trip.

Thank you so much...I took a Class c through NYC back in '07 and have driven by car many times in the past.

Picked the Park and Ride..thanks. Also, are there signs from the Tappenzee bridge for I-84 east?
Bobby and Lynda

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
STEVE B has it right. You NEVER want to travel on I 95 (NJ Turnpike and GW Bridge) if you can avoid it - particularly with an RV. Horrific traffic, narrow lanes, exorbitant tolls - and did I mention the traffic! Garden State Parkway to Tappan Zee Bridge is the ONLY way we go - avoids NYC completely. There can be traffic, and yes, there are tolls, but both are far less 'demanding and stressful' than the other route. Have a fun and safe trip.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at timberline before and thinking about trying it again in fall with the new owners. It was quite convenient but when we drove into Philly with just the F350 we were charged based upon our registered weight class. I think$15.

Y-Guy
Moved from the Dinghy Towing forum.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
Retired VSP wrote:

Thank you...I was looking at that 9ne too. Just realized it's going to cost 80+ dollars to cross the George Washington Bridge after I leave Philly.. (mh w/toad dual wheels) Guess I'll have to find an alternative route to Boston from Philly...another thread..lol.

Take the Tappanzee to the Garden State Parkway. From there map out the route to Philly. When I go to Lancaster I exit the GSP at 80 but the best part is avoiding NYC.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

Retired_VSP
Explorer II
Explorer II
2 Retired wrote:
Here's another possibility. Sounds much like Liberty Harbor RV Park in Jersey City, across the river from NYC. Basically a parking lot with W/E hookups with a bathhouse. Nothing special, but as close as you will ever get to 'camping' in Philadelphia! http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/pennsylvania/philadelphia/campus-park-ride-14814

Thank you...I was looking at that 9ne too. Just realized it's going to cost 80+ dollars to cross the George Washington Bridge after I leave Philly.. (mh w/toad dual wheels) Guess I'll have to find an alternative route to Boston from Philly...another thread..lol.
Bobby and Lynda

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another possibility. Sounds much like Liberty Harbor RV Park in Jersey City, across the river from NYC. Basically a parking lot with W/E hookups with a bathhouse. Nothing special, but as close as you will ever get to 'camping' in Philadelphia! http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/pennsylvania/philadelphia/campus-park-ride-14814
Go and enjoy!!

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Know this one is to the southeast of Philly, but it might suit your needs. It used to be Timberline CG but has just joined the KOA group with new ownership. Significant construction going on to upgrade, update and expand. Older sites are typical of many privately owned CGs in Northeast - narrow, tightly packed with narrow interior roads. New sites have addressed this problem. There is public transportation into Philly available for around $6 Round trip. Been there once before the changes. May be the closest (convenient) CG to Philly. http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/new-jersey/clarksboro/philadelphia-south-koa-formerly-timberlane-campground-4201
Go and enjoy!!

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the West Chester KOA a couple of years ago. It was about 30 or 40 minutes to Philly. Not a bad place, but it you go there check out the map carefully....some sites were barely a parking spot parrallel to the side of the camp road.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
what does 'convenient' mean? we stayed at Brandywine Creek Campground in Lyndell, PA. that was about an EZ 30-40 minute drive into Philly. it also put us in the heart of Amish country about 30-min east of Lancaster, PA. the CG is beautiful and quiet but close to shopping.

one word of advice about parking in Philly. parking enforcement is active and aggressive. believe it if the signs indicate 'No Parking'.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle