cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Planning a trip to Dallas, TX

hammer01
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a nice campground in the dallas,TX area that is (4 years old) kid friendly. Price per night does not matter as long as it is nice. Any sugestions would be appreciated. Also, what is there to do in that area for 5-7 days?

Thanks, Jeff.
13 REPLIES 13

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer Cedar Hill State Park. I love the Vineyards but it is flooded and no telling when it will reopen. The attached photo shows the entrance and all the water backed up from Lake Grapevine.

The Vineyards - May 30, 2015

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
I expect--I SINCERELY HOPE--that you will be fine by the last of June. But I would certainly check with the campground as there may be lasting effects in particular areas.

We have stayed at Treetops RV and Dallas Metro KOA, both in the Arlington area.

In the same general area we have stayed in Cedar Hill State Park. If you generally prefer (as I do) state park settings that would be a good choice.

These may not be in the area of Dallas which would be convenient for you, but these are the ones we have actually stayed in and would recommend.
These sound nice!

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
Treetops is a nice park with nice pool but I don't remember any playground or activities for little ones. Their rules are strictly enforced.

I would try The Vineyards at Grapevine Lake.

I checked the Vineyards website right after this was posted and it said they were not accepting reservations at this time due the the flood damage. I hope it's not too bad.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Grapevine Lake is 16 ft above flood stage right now. Looks like we're gonna get some sunshine this week, so maybe things will start drying out. Several of the lakes in the area are closed due to flooding and no one has really predicted when things will return to normal.

For kids, I would think that Jellystone Park in Burleson would be ideal...and there is PLENTY enough stuff to do in Ft Worth to keep you busy. Most of the kid related stuff is gonna (Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor) is located in Arlington anyway, so even staying in Dallas will require driving.

Legoland at Grapevine Mills Mall is great and they just opened an outdoor water park

the Stockyards in Ft Worth has a daily cattle drive down the center of the street

the Ft Worth Zoo is way better than the Dallas Zoo

Fossil Rim Wildlife Center in Glen Rose...check it out!!! It is a drive thru exotic animal park that you can literally feed the animals right from your hand. If you go, stop at the feed store in town and they will sell you 50 lbs of the same exact animal feed that they sell at the park for $ 8.00 a bag

Cabelas

Downtown Ft Worth is safe to walk even at night
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
No matter where you choose I'd call ahead to make sure the places are not only open but fully functional. A flood can leave ceement pads alone, but take out a dining facility or topple a few trees. Not every insurance company or CG crew are speedy on making repairs.

But we're used to floods.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Treetops is a nice park with nice pool but I don't remember any playground or activities for little ones. Their rules are strictly enforced.

I would try The Vineyards at Grapevine Lake. No pool but they do have a swimming beach. They are open with limited sites due to flooding.
Things to do:
Fort Worth Stockyards (spend the day). See horses, cattle.
Dallas Zoo & Fort Worth Zoo
Six Flags (flooded now)
Museum of Science and History
National Cowgirl Museum
Children's Aquarium
North of Dallas in Frisco is the Museum of American Railroad.
Frontiers of Flight Museum & Cavanaugh Flight Museum
Take the train into Dallas to Dealey Plaza.
Aboretum and Botanical Gardens
you will want to limit outdoor activities during the afternoons as it will be hot!
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Our rainfall for this month and this YTD has broken all historical records. We have experienced total shutdown of sections of Interstates 20, 30 and 35 due to flooding on those highways. Its all open now but the lake based state parks re closed (Grapevine, Lewisville, Ray Roberts, Tawokoni, Lavon, Texhoma)
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

4huskers
Explorer
Explorer
The DFW area is huge, a lot depends on where you'd like to have your base camp. There's a Jellystone type RV park just south of Ft. Worth connected to a water park. We plan on taking the grandkids there this summer.

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Six Flags was flooded also...

Check outvTripAdvisor for things to do in the area.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I expect--I SINCERELY HOPE--that you will be fine by the last of June. But I would certainly check with the campground as there may be lasting effects in particular areas.

We have stayed at Treetops RV and Dallas Metro KOA, both in the Arlington area.

In the same general area we have stayed in Cedar Hill State Park. If you generally prefer (as I do) state park settings that would be a good choice.

These may not be in the area of Dallas which would be convenient for you, but these are the ones we have actually stayed in and would recommend.

hammer01
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning my trip for the end of June. I did not realize that Dallas was effected by the flooding. Thanks for the heads up.

Jeff

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
When is the trip planned?
Several of the local campgrounds are affected by the recent floods right now.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Traders Village (Grand Prairie/Arlington) is close to Six Flags, Texas Rangers, Hurricane Harbor, some water parks and on and on. On top of that there is nice recreation onsite. JMO
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado