cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problems with "long boondocking" in Colorado

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not a big surprise, but I think that this situation will ultimately result in restrictions on boondockers:

Article
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
9 REPLIES 9

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boon Docker wrote:
That's the problem with this "ME" generation. No regard for anything or anyone but themselves.
"Me" can be darn near anybody of any age
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Wandering, a very good idea! May I suggest one more step; since these violators are not likely to pay the fine anyway, why not create a "no camp list" from those license plates and post them on-line; other campers could notify the Forest Service when they see a violator's plates camping in the park and matches to the on-line list.

The CEO of Delta Airlines has recommended something similar. He has suggested a "no fly list" on-line for highly disruptive passengers on airplanes and keeping them off the planes.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Politicians and Government folks getting involved is never a good thing, new taxes or fees are their answer for everything.

Best not to give them a reason to make rule. They rarely have the intended result but politicians feel the need to do something...anything...when there is a problem.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Politicians and Government folks getting involved is never a good thing, new taxes or fees are their answer for everything.

A daily drive by with a camera on the vehicle to document basic condition and the license plate of the vehicle for a fine to be mailed to egregious abusers is all the interference that's likely needed.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I take the grand kids out, they are required to fill a large black trash bags full of trash left by others before we leave. If you asked them why, they would say "So it's clean when we come back with our kids." At first, they were skepticle, but, when we went to a few well used areas, they understood the need to help. They were asked "Could you imagine what these peoples homes look like."

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
It would be very simple to mandate that all motorized forms of mobility follow the same rules as automobiles. All campers have and use a holding tank. Stays limited to 3 nights.

The days of saying here it is treat it right are over. People don't know or don't care what is right. People have to be managed or it will turn to manure fast.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I was a kid and M&D took us camping I canโ€™t remember a day that I didnโ€™t see a ranger driving aroundโ€ฆor even walking. Nowadaysโ€ฆ
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's the problem with this "ME" generation. No regard for anything or anyone but themselves. So sad.
When I am finished in my boondocking area I leave it cleaner than when I arrived.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œIf people would not leave their trash, if they would pack out human waste, if they would use fire pans instead of fire rings, if they would change plans rather than creating new campsites when other sites are full, then these management plans wouldnโ€™t be necessary,โ€ he said. โ€œBut weโ€™re at where weโ€™re at.โ€

They, they, they. Whenโ€™s the last time I saw a USFS or BLM ranger patrolling? I canโ€™t remember. Ranger presence and enforcement will seriously reduce abuseโ€ฆbut those government offices are nice and cool or nice and and warm.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad