Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reservations in or around Denver, CO

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

We are looking to visit the Denver, CO around the end of May, after the Memorial Day holiday. We would like to stay near Denver, within about 30 miles. We are having difficulty finding a place that is not already booked.

I would love to hear any recommendations for an rv park for a 45 foot motorhome. We would like full hook ups but are willing to deal with anything, even dry camping.

Have you found making reservations has become so difficult?

Thank you in advance for any input,
Stuart & Leslie
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014
13 REPLIES 13

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
htss,

I think these fairgrounds are now closed unless this is a different fairgrounds. Would love to hear more about it if it is open.

As we plan we will try to use the Elks lodges. It is "iffy" but with some luck it will work out for us.

Thanks again for all of your input.

Stuart
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014

Rice
Explorer III
Explorer III
htss wrote:
That's a good point. Adam's county (in Thornton just north of Denver) has a few spots too.

Do you mean the Adams County Fairgrounds in Brighton? I didn't think they had RV sites, and don't see anything about it on their website.

What do you know about the facilities there? Denver is so short on RV sites that this would be a real find.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
S-n-L wrote:
Thanks everyone,

It is surprising how few good choices there are.
Not really too surprising when you realize how fast this area is growing and how expensive buying enough land for an RV park would be. That's why most of the close-in RV parks are on land owned by the State Parks, City of Golden, City of Lakewood, Jefferson County, Prospect Rec District, etc.

State/local governments are the only ones who can afford to build them. And some of those are primarily filled with construction and other semi-permanent workers (eg., Prospect RV Park). If you didn't allow those workers, you might be empty from November to May, but your mortgage, utility, and tax bills would still have to be paid all year.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Westminster Elks lodge has a decent RVPark, but it is always very busy. Was very convenient for up, but no reservations with long term people many who had homes there years ago and come back for the summer. Most of the times we stayed there we were along the wall in the parking lot. Several 30 amp and there was only one 50 amp site but that was years ago.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone,

It is surprising how few good choices there are. We are Elks members and we may go that route. They do not take reservations so that makes it a little uncertain.

Stuart
Stuart & Leslie Offer

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
I checked on ReserveAmerica, not the CPW reservation site, and found 23 RV electric sites available for May 28-29 (2 nights) at Golden Gate Canyon State Park Reverand's Ridge cg. But none were available for 3 nights during that week. GGCSP has only electric sites, but separate water and dump. But that is the most scenic of the SPs in the Denver metro area because it is the only one actually in the mountains.

I would second the cg at Bear Creek Lake Park (2 miles from my house). It is convenient to US 285 into the mountains, but is also on the C-470 loop around the SW side of Denver and very near I-70. So it is easy to get around to other parts of the city.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
S-n-L wrote:
Hello everyone,

We are looking to visit the Denver, CO around the end of May, after the Memorial Day holiday. We would like to stay near Denver, within about 30 miles. We are having difficulty finding a place that is not already booked.

I would love to hear any recommendations for an rv park for a 45 foot motorhome. We would like full hook ups but are willing to deal with anything, even dry camping.

Have you found making reservations has become so difficult?

Thank you in advance for any input,
Stuart & Leslie

https://rec.cityofgolden.net/wbwsc/webtrac.wsc/splash.html?interfaceparameter=3

https://www.jeffco.us/1464/Campground

https://www.bouldercounty.org/open-space/fairgrounds/

https://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pages/Reservations.aspx

Dakota Ridge

St Vrain

Town of Lyons has a small park on the river - http://www.townoflyons.com/349/LaVern-M-Johnson-Park

http://prospectrv.com/ - have never stayed there but have spoken to a few that have enjoyed it as a longer term solution to visit there Grand Kids in the summer.

That's the best I've got - All will have cancellations - so continue to Call - we have even stayed in the local Wal*Mart for 4-5 days to wait on a site to become available - Not Good ๐Ÿ™‚ - Golden is our Favorite - But has been discovered and is very hard to get in.

Jeffco is usually a good option - Central City has a KOA - Leadville has even been an Option as it is such a beautiful drive to and from.

Let us know how you do.

Best of luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
I am a fan of St Vrain SP in Longmont. However over the years it seems it has become the favorite of a lot of folks. We had to stay at Dakota Ridge in Golden last year. Its not to bad of a park, I would stay there again if had to. I have found that to stay near Denver has become a lot of early pre planning.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

htss
Explorer
Explorer
imgoin4it wrote:
If all else fails try Jefferson county fair grounds. We stayed for a wedding. Some full hook up some partial, some dry. Wasnโ€™t the best of parks but well run, just not fancy.

That's a good point. Adam's county (in Thornton just north of Denver) has a few spots too.
2012 Chevy 2500HD DA - 2009 Open Range (33.5' fifth wheel) - B&W Companion - 40 gallon aux tank - Myself, wife and two kids

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
If all else fails try Jefferson county fair grounds. We stayed for a wedding. Some full hook up some partial, some dry. Wasnโ€™t the best of parks but well run, just not fancy.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

htss
Explorer
Explorer
Check St. Vrain State Park and the KOA's around the area. I saw some openings around that time frame. Maybe also try reducing you motorhome length to 39 feet to see if something is available but just not showing up because of the length.
2012 Chevy 2500HD DA - 2009 Open Range (33.5' fifth wheel) - B&W Companion - 40 gallon aux tank - Myself, wife and two kids

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Bear Creek in Lakewood would be worth investigating as well.

State Parks open for reservations 6 months in advance. Getting any spot (let alone a prime spot) is very difficult without advanced planning.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are 2 state parks in the Denver area, Chatfield and Cherry Creek, that may have space after the holiday. They do have a 14 day limit so beware of that.
As far as finding a space, yes, it has become hard to find one without a lot of advanced planning. Too many new residents and RV's.