cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reserve America $59.95 charge

jimbowilly
Explorer
Explorer
I was perusing my credit card charges yesterday when I notice a $59.95 charge from ACT. I didn't know what this was so I did a bit of research.

It turns out it is a charge for an Active Advantage membership that I inadvertently signed up for when making a reservation in April through Reserve America.

I called and they removed the charge. Apparently I failed to uncheck a box that signed me up for it. I got one free month (which I didn't realize I had) then the $59.95 charge kicked in. This is a new thing they do I was told.

This is kind of a BS tactic if you ask me, but if you have made campground reservations recently through Reserve America, please keep a close eye on your credit card bill.

(I apologize if this has been covered in another thread but I didn't see anything)
20 REPLIES 20

jimbowilly
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
Yes, that's BS. What is active advantage? I am exactly the type of person who would miss the box and be charged. I wonder if it is a flat yearly reservation fee? That would be profitable for our family and would be interested but should be my choice not theirs. Makes you wonder why they do this?

Active.Com is a site where you can find local running/cycling/triathlon events and sign up for them on-line. It is useful in that regard.

Active Advantage is an annual subscription plan that among other things, gives you discounts to the running/cycling/triathlon events. I am not sure if it offers discounts to campgrounds as well.

I guess sometime in the past Active.Com became affiliated with Reserve America.

I am usually careful about checking and unchecking these boxes when necessary. But since I haven't had any issues with Reserve America, I wasn't as careful as I should have been.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that's BS. What is active advantage? I am exactly the type of person who would miss the box and be charged. I wonder if it is a flat yearly reservation fee? That would be profitable for our family and would be interested but should be my choice not theirs. Makes you wonder why they do this?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

mpfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Who says that you have to live in a foreign country to scam us in unwanted charges, we have those same type of people who try this every day, scam us out of our dollars in unwanted charges. Gift card's are among the best in this practice.
1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another reason why I refuse to use Reserve America.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with you, this practice really twists my undies.
We do use Reserve America..Oregon State Campgrounds goes through them.

I hate it when you have to "opt. out" of an add on instead of "opt in."
The "opt out" is often an obscure box that needs to be checked.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
That is exactly why I use shop safe. Once I use a credit card number on an item it goes tilt and the number is dead. I guess after a while they will figure it out. These are the kind of companies we refer to as honest crooks.