cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Road to Cherokee, NC

jpprv
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip to Cherokee, NC, in a '99 diesel Diplomat. Mapquest has us leaving Chattanooga and traveling on US 64 and US 74. My question is is that a 2 or 4 lane and how curvy is that route? She really slows down on inclines. Any info appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those are both OK roads. Not wide or straight but no horrible climbs. Pavement should be in decent shape.

Watch out for deer, log trucks during the week and canoe renters on the weekend, including the buses that haul them back and forth.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Even before they widen the curves in the Ocoee Gorge I took my 42 foot motorhome through there often. No long climbs in this a nice enough road but on the weekends both rafting the areas that can be busy.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

HappyCamper89
Explorer
Explorer
We travel Hwy 411 then thru Elijay and Blue Ridge. We still end up on 64 but that avoids the part with the worst curves (along the Ocoee). We tow a 25ft TT thru there with no problem. There are some curves along the way. I would not want to tow by the Ocoee but have seen others do it.
2009 Airstream Flying Cloud 25FB
2007 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Extended Cab Duramax

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Some of each. 2 lane thru the Ocoee gorge, and thru Nantahala. The rest is four lane. Ocoee is also narrow with little or no shoulder in some parts. There are some areas where you will have hard pulls. Coming out of the Ocoee gorge up to Copper Hill is one, it's 4-lane The pull up into Nantahala is 2-lane though. And of course it's the 2-lane parts that are the most crooked.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD