cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV park near Cotton Bowl?

Lazy_D
Explorer
Explorer
So I have tickets to the annual Red River shootout, which is during the Texas State fair.
Does anyone know what area options exist durning this time and location?

Giving you my tickets is NOT an option :B
TV 2007 Chevy 2500HD CCSB 4X4 Duramax. EFI Live, Edge insight, Sinister EGR delete
S&B cold air intake, Titan 52 gal tank, FASS 150 Lift pump, Magnaflow 5" exhaust
Andersen ultimate hitch
Air Ride bags
12 REPLIES 12

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Tom Trostel wrote:
Gizmos' link does not work. Try this one.

Shootdown rv parking

Neat - I wasn't aware of that option.

There are obviously RV services available during the fair for some of the traveling fair workers.

$275 for 3 nights is steep, but about normal for special events.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
There are quite a few campgrounds around the DFW area, but the traffic will be horrible driving into dallas

Cedar Hill is the closest state park, but personally i dont care for the place. too big of a park brings in a rowdy crowd. I dont like hearing loud music and flashing police lights at 2am.
Lake Tawakoni state park is nice, but it isnt exactly close
Vineyards Campground in Grapevine is probably the nicest you'll find, But its only partially open this year due to the lake flooding back to back. Getting a reservation there might be tough, even in a few months from now
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
Gizmos' link does not work. Try this one.

Shootdown rv parking

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
There is RV parking from Thursday through Sunday at a secure lot near the Cotton Bowl. We have parked there several times. You can walk a short distance to the tram. It is truly the best way to stay and see the game along with the fair. I must repeat that it is a very secure lot.

Info here

Very popular and most RV's arrive and get in line on Thursday. It's a fun atmosphere, too.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
The day after Christmas tornado hit Plantation Place RV Park in Mesquite. They are open now, and most repairs have been completed.

The Vineyards has been closed for six months or more due to flooding on Lake Grapevine, but has reopened some sites, and hopes to be in full operation by the Fourth of July.

There are three COE campgrounds on Lake Lavon, and one on Lake Lewisville. Also two on Lake Bardwell in Ennis, and two on Lake Benbrook.

At the end of September, Lavon, Bardwell and Benbrook will close one CG on each lake.

We stay at East Fork on Lake Lavon often. Were there for the Dec 26 tornado which passed a mile east of us, for the Mar 23 hail storm which damaged our rig and badly damaged my truck. (We missed the Apr 14 hail storm which damaged so many rigs/ totaled several, and most buildings in Wylie) We are back there today.

I can't recommend it. A new bathhouse in the RV loop is almost ready to open. The road in the loop is horrible. There are no sewer hookups, and won't be for a very long time, if ever. Much damage due to flooding still has day use, beaches, boat ramps closed. The dump station is usually flooded. Can't dump without getting your feet wet in questionable water. (East Fork is very close to our doctors, kids, grandkids. We used to live four miles away before going full-time.)

Lavonia on the east side of Lake Lavon has sewer, and decrepit old bathhouse and only 30A power.

Hickory Creek on Lake Lewisville should be fully repaired after the winter floods, and is open. A nicer facility than Lake Lavon campgrounds, plenty of 50A sites, but no sewer at any sites. Easier access to DART rail in Carrollton to get to/ from Fair Park for the football game.

Strongly recommend parking at a DART rail facility, and taking the train to Fair Park/ back. Avoid driving to the stadium if possible.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
ct1964ups wrote:
Lazy D wrote:
So I have tickets to the annual Red River shootout, which is during the Texas State fair.

we went to a game and stayed out at the Vineyards...great campground and beautiful litttle town to walk and great places to eat
we hired a limo to take us in and out for the game.....and even for a night down at the Stockyards...Chuck

Better check if Vinyards open as the tornado back a few months wiped it out.
There is a couple on I20 just west of Terrell and Lake Lavon has a CoE park.

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
Lazy D wrote:

we went to a game and stayed out at the Vineyards...great campground and beautiful litttle town to walk and great places to eat
we hired a limo to take us in and out for the game.....and even for a night down at the Stockyards...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vineyards Campground

Jellystone Park

Arlington KOA

Treetops

Plantation Place

Plantation Place would probably be the closest, but the Vineyards are in an area where there is alot of activites, good restaurants and places to shop.

If traveling with kids, then Jellystone would be worth a hard look
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Lazy_D
Explorer
Explorer
All good info.
Thanks guys.
TV 2007 Chevy 2500HD CCSB 4X4 Duramax. EFI Live, Edge insight, Sinister EGR delete
S&B cold air intake, Titan 52 gal tank, FASS 150 Lift pump, Magnaflow 5" exhaust
Andersen ultimate hitch
Air Ride bags

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
There are no RV parks near Fairpark. If there were, they would not be safe to stay in, unless you patrolled around your RV all night with a loaded shotgun.
Just north of Dallas, in Denton, there is Destiny RV Park,. It is located right along Interstate 35E. From there, you can make a short drive over to Medpark Station in south Denton, and ride commuter rail right to Fairpark. You need to study the train schedules, as you make about 2 connections to other trains to get to the game. The train schedules are all coordinated though, so it makes for easy transfers. Best of all, you will not need to drive in the nightmarish traffic to get to and from the game.
Jeff

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Being that Fair Park is near downtown Dallas, there are no RV parks very close. Living about 30 miles north, I have never stayed at any in the area. But Cedar Hill mentioned above often gets recommendations.

Bluebonnet Ridge just east of Terrell and about 20-25 miles east of the Cotton Bowl gets good reviews on rvparkreviews.com. Should be a pretty easy drive on US80 to I-30 to Fair Park from there on a Saturday.

kevinbti
Explorer
Explorer
Cedar Hills state park is 10 miles from there but the mileage does not matter as the traffic I don t believe there are any areas to camp around I believe you may be able to camp at the fair but not sure