Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RVing during Pandemic and looking relocate

Gnarley
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your consideration!

My wife and I are in our early 60's, we hadn't planned to retire and are both unemployed, I have a little side income, and both plan to work into our 70's. We live in Sonoma County, CA and find the area great weather-wise, except for fires and very low humidity in the late summer. Finding suitable employment is the challenge! We have no children and enough equity to buy a home somewhere else. We never planned to be in this situation, did anyone? We could never afford to outright buy where we are with our equity, so why try restarting a career in this area, yet again!

We have a lot of reasons to move! We both like the ocean and milder temps and have considered the Oregon coast and maybe somewhere from Florence to Astoria. We also need to consider community and available resources and healthcare. I'd like to plan an exploratory drive for a 2 weeks and see what could work. I'm concerned about available places to camp and am looking for suggestions on how and where in our 1999 32' HR Class A, that's in very good condition!

I'd like to sell our home and move ASAP (60-90 days), we wouldn't need to buy right away and could even live in the RV for a while and it's that which I'm concerned about during COVID and if you can actually find a place to park for a while?

Please share your thoughts and questions respectfully,

Thanks!
48 REPLIES 48

Gnarley
Explorer
Explorer
SteveAE wrote:
Don't forget to factor in the cost of health insurance.

You may want to look at this program. I find it quite helpful for evaluating exactly the type of questions you are asking.

As to the cost to live in Oregon. There are several websites that rank Oregon as I mentioned (4th or 5th most expensive in the country). A number of factors go into those calculations including; taxes, housing (ugh, property tax), utilities, food, transportation, and medical. Scoop around on the web and you will find what I am referring to if you are interested. Also, keep in mind that Oregon has an estate (death) tax on anything over $1M ........ where California doesn't. Now how good is Oregon looking?

Best wishes in your search and let us all know what you find.

Oregon still doesn't look bad! What can you tell me about the MaxiFi software, is it free to individual users? We needn't worry about the $1M mark, that ain't happening!

The info below counters many of the "best places to retire" lists out there. Here's the good news: you can ignore all of them.

Discrepancies are the rule rather than the exception, partially because the rankings emphasize different criteria. Some lists emphasize college towns, whose populations tend to skew young, while others put a premium on communities with a lot of senior residents. Many publications advise looking at local tax rates, but they clash when it comes to deciding whether income, property or sales tax is most important.

https://business.time.com/2013/05/13/please-dont-use-a-best-places-to-retire-list-to-decide-where-to-retire/

Gnarley
Explorer
Explorer
wapiticountry wrote:

The ability to use your equity to purchase a new home will depend upon how much you net and exactly what you mean by a coastal location. Oceanfront will cost much more than being a couple of miles inland. And the maintenance on oceanfront properties can be extreme, the salt water just eats everything. Personally, the couple of times I have driven the Oregon coast I felt like the towns were really struggling and there were too many disaffected souls roaming the highways and byways. But to each his own.

As for making an income, when you say you are considering being a contractor, are you talking about contract work for corporations using your internet security certifications or are you talking about being a construction contractor? If it is being a 1099 independent contractor in Information Systems only you can say whether or not you can generate enough income. If it is a construction contractor, I would think that it would be very tough to start from scratch without local contacts and local referrals.

Not Oceanfront, I never implied that. You can be near the ocean and still have a view, location, location, location....

I am a 1099 independent contractor, I provide Technolgy services and consulting and can add additional customers. I also can offer part-time work, or offer a variety of services that require proper licensing. Being a jack of many trades can be really helpful!

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to factor in the cost of health insurance.

You may want to look at this program. I find it quite helpful for evaluating exactly the type of questions you are asking.

As to the cost to live in Oregon. There are several websites that rank Oregon as I mentioned (4th or 5th most expensive in the country). A number of factors go into those calculations including; taxes, housing (ugh, property tax), utilities, food, transportation, and medical. Scoop around on the web and you will find what I am referring to if you are interested. Also, keep in mind that Oregon has an estate (death) tax on anything over $1M ........ where California doesn't. Now how good is Oregon looking?

Best wishes in your search and let us all know what you find.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
Gnarley wrote:
SteveAE wrote:
Pretty sure that there are job openings for good mechanics in Bend (Oregon).
Just keep in mind that Oregon is the 4th or 5th most expensive state in the country to live in....and Bend is probably in the top 10 (maybe 5) of most expensive Oregon communities.

Most expensive based on what criteria? I suspect that if you have significant income you are correct, and I've read many of these articles also.

Not everyone retires with great income. We found that we can get by pretty comfortably by eliminating mortgage from the equation and then with everything else costing less our bills drop down by another 15%, I think that will cover any additional income TAXES and then some. The spreadsheet is pretty clear, it shows income and expenses, and we're currently in the RED due to a mortgage. Cutting the mortgage puts us in the black. We will never pay off our current mortgage and we do not want to retire in this house or area. Using our equity for an outright purchase is a means to provide a home and stability. Oregon seems to meet our needs on paper.
The ability to use your equity to purchase a new home will depend upon how much you net and exactly what you mean by a coastal location. Oceanfront will cost much more than being a couple of miles inland. And the maintenance on oceanfront properties can be extreme, the salt water just eats everything. Personally, the couple of times I have driven the Oregon coast I felt like the towns were really struggling and there were too many disaffected souls roaming the highways and byways. But to each his own.
As for making an income, when you say you are considering being a contractor, are you talking about contract work for corporations using your internet security certifications or are you talking about being a construction contractor? If it is being a 1099 independent contractor in Information Systems only you can say whether or not you can generate enough income. If it is a construction contractor, I would think that it would be very tough to start from scratch without local contacts and local referrals.

Gnarley
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Gnarley wrote:
The equity we have won't work for coastal living in California and farther north is even farther away from any decent airport. For us the north west coast of Oregon seems to have what we are looking for.

I'm considering adding Powerball to our retirement planning. :W

I'm telling ya, Ain't that the TRUTH! For many of us who are lucky enough to have RV's having a good life after a working career sometimes seems out of reach. By making concessions and relocating maybe, just maybe we'll be alright for our late years. Only time will tell right?

dedmiston
Gnarley wrote:
The equity we have won't work for coastal living in California and farther north is even farther away from any decent airport. For us the north west coast of Oregon seems to have what we are looking for.

I'm considering adding Powerball to our retirement planning. :W

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Gnarley
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Gnarley wrote:
I won't disagree with you, however, living hours inland is not what we want. I have friends from Reno To Gardnerville, and I lived in Reno for a few years but I prefer the cooler climate and moisture.

Thanks Gnarley. That makes sense.

Have you looked at any of the northern counties on the CA coast? People close to me moved to Humboldt County in the 70s. I assumed the region was just depressed at the time, but through all the booms and busts in the rest of the country, Humboldt County has remained pretty depressed this whole time. I think there are a lot of opportunities up there if you're looking for a bargain. I assume you don't need to be right on the beach, because that will cost a fortune anywhere. There are nice places to live from Legget or Garberville clear up to Trinidad or Orrick(sp?).

Good luck with your search.

dedmiston
Gnarley wrote:
I won't disagree with you, however, living hours inland is not what we want. I have friends from Reno To Gardnerville, and I lived in Reno for a few years but I prefer the cooler climate and moisture.

Thanks Gnarley. That makes sense.

Have you looked at any of the northern counties on the CA coast? People close to me moved to Humboldt County in the 70s. I assumed the region was just depressed at the time, but through all the booms and busts in the rest of the country, Humboldt County has remained pretty depressed this whole time. I think there are a lot of opportunities up there if you're looking for a bargain. I assume you don't need to be right on the beach, because that will cost a fortune anywhere. There are nice places to live from Legget or Garberville clear up to Trinidad or Orrick(sp?).

Good luck with your search.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Gnarley
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
As a resident on the Central Oregon Coast I would surmise you are going to have to make some consessions to your wants. Access to large airports is one. Large hospitals and top notch medical service is another. Here in Florence its just over an hour to a decent airport.....and while our local hospital can take care of most matters, serious medical attention is an hour and a half away. Jobs are also problematic. With your skills perhaps the local hospital would be interested.... and we do have a high tech ISP startup....but not many employees. Good luck, wherever you end up.

That's kind of funny... We've been here 20 years and never really felt it was home, it's a fantasy suggesting this is such a wonderful place to live,for those with the means it may be. Frankly this is an economic decision due to the cost of living here and we cannot afford to stay.

Gnarley
Explorer
Explorer
SteveAE wrote:
Just keep in mind that Oregon is the 4th or 5th most expensive state in the country to live in....and Bend is probably in the top 10 (maybe 5) of most expensive Oregon communities.

I don't need to work for someone else, I have the means to start a shop, but at 62 I want to start slowing down and have more control over the work I do. Working as a contractor or having a part time business could afford me additional income and flexibility.

Gnarley
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Jobs: The workplace is more mobile now than it ever has been.

Park reservations: Things are about to change for you.

Location: What about taking all that nice Sonoma equity and moving someplace less expensive (but not Oregon coast) and then traveling to the coast for longer term stays from time to time? Use part of that Sonoma equity to buy in Carson City or someplace in ID where you're not too far from the west coast. You'd have enough to buy a less expensive home, set a chunk aside for medical insurance, set another chunk aside for travel expenses, and then take gig work to fill in the gaps and travel on a modest budget until you hit Medicare age and your healthcare expenses are reduced.

Gnarley
Explorer
Explorer
SteveAE wrote:

Most expensive based on what criteria? I suspect that if you have significant income you are correct, and I've read many of these articles also.

Not everyone retires with great income. We found that we can get by pretty comfortably by eliminating mortgage from the equation and then with everything else costing less our bills drop down by another 15%, I think that will cover any additional income TAXES and then some. The spreadsheet is pretty clear, it shows income and expenses, and we're currently in the RED due to a mortgage. Cutting the mortgage puts us in the black. We will never pay off our current mortgage and we do not want to retire in this house or area. Using our equity for an outright purchase is a means to provide a home and stability. Oregon seems to meet our needs on paper.

dedmiston
Jobs: The workplace is more mobile now than it ever has been. I'm working this week from Southern Utah while my family enjoys their vacation here. As long as there's good AT&T coverage, I can work from the RV while they play all day.

Park reservations: Things are about to change for you. We're in the sweet spot now where schools are starting back up and families are traveling less. It won't be as sweet this year though, since kids can study from anywhere just like we can work from anywhere. Plus all of the extra curricular activities like youth sports and scouting are on hold, so there will be fewer commitments to hold families home. It should still be better next week than it was last week. On the other end of the season though, a lot of parks close down at the end of September (or whatever the end of the season is in their area). National Parks shut down in mid October.

Location: What about taking all that nice Sonoma equity and moving someplace less expensive (but not Oregon coast) and then traveling to the coast for longer term stays from time to time? Use part of that Sonoma equity to buy in Carson City or someplace in ID where you're not too far from the west coast. You'd have enough to buy a less expensive home, set a chunk aside for medical insurance, set another chunk aside for travel expenses, and then take gig work to fill in the gaps and travel on a modest budget until you hit Medicare age and your healthcare expenses are reduced.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Oregon Coast can be a tough place to find a well paying job - I would check that out b4 the move. Also - while Oregon Coast has great summers those summers are short with the rest of the year usually rainy and often cold/windy. Health care facilities are sometimes hard to find and many find themselves transported to Portland for major illness/surgery.

If employment is your first concern I would checkout larger city - maybe Portland/Eugene/Boise etc. Covid might make job hunting a challenge.

Just my 02.
Kevin