cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Opinions please if you've been to the Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark. Is it interesting enough to go somewhat out of our way to visit? Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tannehill was cool. Campground was interesting 3 years ago. Some low hanging wires to be aware of. Furnace and old steam engines were interesting if you're a gearhead.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

AlabamaTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the early '60s. I had a business relationship with Mr. Pete Sloss. I remember him as a fine man.
Lawrence, Dianne "Roll Tide"

charming
Explorer
Explorer
Our grandson was married there three years ago. I think the history is interesting and the site was well maintained. We did not have the opportunity to explore, but if this is an area of interest, it is worth a stop and as another poster mentioned The Vulcan is still an amazing landmark.

My StepD and her family have camped at Tannehill and give it high marks.

In Montgomery we stay at Gunter Hill Park, a COE park with large flat lots, full service on a beautiful lake. It is located west of town and all of the new development in the area is east of the city. There is a new museum we visited in the fall - Legacy Museum. It is an amazing place about the history of slaves in America. There is an outdoor park we did not have time to attend. Montgomery is worth several days to get a feel for a very dark period of our history.

From Gunter Hill, Selma is a short drive as well as Cahaba, an early state capital of Alabama.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your reply. I like to hear from those who have 'been there, done that'. Anywhere else in Alabama (Birmingham area) you can recommend? Going to do Montgomery up right on this trip. Thanks again!

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
If things about the Iron industry interest you camp at Tannehill Ironworks Historical State Park while in the area.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Sloss Furnace is a great place to visit, have been several times, it's free to go and it takes us about two hours to walk through. Tons of history and if you're into ghosts this is the place to be. Check out Vulcan Park while your there, about 10 minutes away.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian