Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoky Mountains National Park

fb10
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
With some friends I'm planning for a trip to Smoky mountains soon.
I have not understood the rules about campfires. Is it legal to dig a hole and make a fire? Then when you're done put out the fire by burying it?
Can I collect wood my self and make a campfire at a place that I define as safe and away from flammable trees, wood etc.?
Thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dennis, I heard they have have some strong....and crazy little women in Kansas City.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Opie431,
Was thinking, is your wife still with you ? If she is maybe she can carry you every other mile to help you make the trip. If not find a younger woman and she will be good for every two miles.
Dennis Hoppert

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago we hiked to a back country campsite. There was a fire ring on the site. It was an assigned site. Would love to go back but eighty is too old to backpack that far.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
From the Backcountry rules page, which you are supposed to follow.

"4. Fires are only allowed at designated campsites and shelters and must be contained in a fire ring. Constructing new fire rings is prohibited. You may only burn wood that is dead and already on the ground. You may not cut any standing wood."

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/backcountry-regs.htm
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
fb10 wrote:
Hi,
With some friends I'm planning for a trip to Smoky mountains soon.
I have not understood the rules about campfires. Is it legal to dig a hole and make a fire? Then when you're done put out the fire by burying it?
Can I collect wood my self and make a campfire at a place that I define as safe and away from flammable trees, wood etc.?
Thanks in advance

Sounds like you are not planning on using any sort of Campground. You better check to see if it is legal to stop and create your own. I'm betting it is not. Pretty sure you will have to stay in some sort of developed CG. Be it a National Park, or Private CG.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Is it legal to dig a hole and make a fire? Then when you're done put out the fire by burying it?"

Without referring to any rules, have you imagined how such conduct would effect our parks multiplied thousands of times in campsites? Hole digging....burying the ashes. The answer is obvious.....NO!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
EVERY legal campsite, even back country sites, in the National Park will have a designated fire ring, which is quite obvious. That fire ring is the ONLY place you are allowed to build a fire.

FAQ on firewood is HERE.

Basically you can only gather firewood that is on the ground, and can only burn that or wood you purchase in the park.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board