cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smoky Mountains (West Slope)

3wheel
Explorer
Explorer
As it is snowing ๐Ÿ˜ž here I am thinking about our trip to the the Great Smoky Mountains this summer :).

We will be coming down I-40 from Arkansas so we were thinking of camping on the western side.

Would love to hear advice on campgrounds, things to see and do, etc...
Me, DW, DS, DWoof1, DWoof2
150 Super Crew 3.5L EcoBoost 3.55 towing a
2013 Jayco X20E with E2 Hitch
12 REPLIES 12

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Markiemark32 wrote:

...Not sure if 2014 dates published, just yet....

I didn't know fireflies could read calendars! :@
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Actually known as Tail of the Dragon. US 129 has 318 curves in 11 miles. Some excellent scenery and several pull-offs for viewing. Fun in a small 4 wheeler, but as stated in above post, watch out for motorcycles. This is also true for many of the smaller 2 lanes roads in the area.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Markiemark32 wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Fireflys ate usually 2nd or 3rd week in June.

Assume ate=are :B

In June(2nd & 3rd week), checkout Fireflys at Elkmont, with viewing, shuttles, & tickets arranged by the National Park Service. Best if you can camp and experience from within the campground!

Markiemark:C
That's what happens when your old and tired!! ha ha
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
3wheel wrote:
As it is snowing ๐Ÿ˜ž here I am thinking about our trip to the the Great Smoky Mountains this summer :).

We will be coming down I-40 from Arkansas so we were thinking of camping on the western side.

Would love to hear advice on campgrounds, things to see and do, etc...

One of the things most visitors miss is the drive along the Cherohala Skyway.
http://www.cherohala.org/

This is one of the most scenic roads in Tennessee but most tourist miss it. In N Carolina it's 143 and in Tennessee it's 165. DO NOT go near highway 129 north of 143 in a RV or pulling anything. 129 is known as the Dragon and is great for motorcycles but not RVs. Enjoy your time in East Tennessee.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
Markiemark32 wrote:
Depending on your timing of the trip, if at all possible keep an eye out for this:

Synchronous Fireflies

Not sure if 2014 dates published, just yet.

Did go this year, and it was really cool, surreal, and a great adventure!

The fire flies draw a large crowd. If anyone thinks about attend this they better get there early. I went to see it and could not get close.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
Markiemark, I love the pictures!

And, 3Wheel, there are lots of beautiful waterfalls in Transylvania County, NC.

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
Fireflys ate usually 2nd or 3rd week in June.

Assume ate=are :B

In June(2nd & 3rd week), checkout Fireflys at Elkmont, with viewing, shuttles, & tickets arranged by the National Park Service. Best if you can camp and experience from within the campground!

Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fireflys are usually 2nd or 3rd week in June.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on your timing of the trip, if at all possible keep an eye out for this:

Synchronous Fireflies

Not sure if 2014 dates published, just yet.

Did go this year, and it was really cool, surreal, and a great adventure!

Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
I'm doing the same as you! It's currently 20 degrees outside and I can't wait til we go to the Smokies. We are going in April and I'm really looking forward to it.

We've never been there but it seems like there is so much to do that I don't know how I will get to do all of it in a week!
I've looked at tripadvisor and the amount of info is just overwhelming.

rbtglove: Thanks for the idea to visit the Indian Museum. After a quick web search it looks like a place I'd like to visit and the reviews say even kids will like it. Those tips are pretty helpful.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Smokemont is nice but is south and it's a long drive over the mountains to lots of attractions. If you want you want nature and outdoor things that's a good place. The Indian Museum in Cherokeee is great. None of the campgounds in the Park (to my knownlede) have hook-ups but Cades Cove or Elkmont might be more centrally located. Traffic really slows travel in season. If you want full sevice we like Twin Creeks in Gatlinburg which is nice and close to the Park entrance, markets, eating places and tourist traps. Lots of other choices depends on what you want to do.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
Camping --

Elkmont Camping

Trip this year pics

Other side of Mtn, Cherokee, NC

Things to do, hiking, waterfalls, nice camping, nature, fish, camping, streams, wildlife, etc.....

Not far from Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge, City stuff (fun & games, food, shopping).

Great area, great times!

OK to ban per Mark F.