cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snow birds in Myrtle Beach

ct78barnes
Explorer
Explorer
Has any one stayed in Myrtle Beach the months of Jan and Feb . I know a lot of our people from up north come down but if you have done it I would love to hear how it was and was it real windy and cold on the ocean. Planning on two months at Lakewood camping Resort .

Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Pawz4me wrote:
I feel pretty sure the folks up in the NC mountains, where snowfall averages around three feet a year and Subarus are the vehicle of choice, ...

Sure, the folks in Highlands and Maggie Valley know how to deal with snow. That is much less than 1% of the population.

That's not the area I was thinking of. AFAIK they get relatively small amounts of snow compared to other places in NC (like the Boone area, where it snowed yesterday-a not unusually early time for them).
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Pawz4me wrote:
I feel pretty sure the folks up in the NC mountains, where snowfall averages around three feet a year and Subarus are the vehicle of choice, ...

Sure, the folks in Highlands and Maggie Valley know how to deal with snow. That is much less than 1% of the population.

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, the temperature is not the only thing - it is the sunshine! I'll take 55 and sunny any day over 60 and dreary rain.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

Cocky_Camper
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
2 Retired wrote:
We have lived in MB for the past 13 years. Some winters we never get below 40' at night. Several times, there were short periods of time when the night temps even went into the 20' range. Twice since we have been here there has been snow, but never over 4" and it was gone in about 12 hours.

My in-laws moved to west NC several years ago. They learned to just stay home if there is anything more than light snow flurries. No one there knows how to drive even in the smallest amount of snow !

Ha! Western Carolina VS the coast. There is a HUGE weather swing there!
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

Cocky_Camper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flip a coin! Highs in the 50's and 30's in the 30's. Can be colder or can be warmer. There will be some nice warm sunny days, but you can also expect just as many cool cloudy windy days too.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Pawz4Me is absolutely right. Those who live in the hills and mountains of western North Carolina know winter weather, and how to drive in it! Also right when saying comparing that area to MB is like comparing central Florida to Eastern Kentucky! Foolish, at best.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
While MB is not as warm as central FL it is certainly feasible for a Snowbirding spot. Those north of MB will consider the winters mild in MB.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
2 Retired wrote:
We have lived in MB for the past 13 years. Some winters we never get below 40' at night. Several times, there were short periods of time when the night temps even went into the 20' range. Twice since we have been here there has been snow, but never over 4" and it was gone in about 12 hours.

My in-laws moved to west NC several years ago. They learned to just stay home if there is anything more than light snow flurries. No one there knows how to drive even in the smallest amount of snow !

That is a beyond silly statement. I'm guessing it makes your ILs feel all sorts of superior even if there's not a shred of truth in it. I feel pretty sure the folks up in the NC mountains, where snowfall averages around three feet a year and Subarus are the vehicle of choice, know quite a lot about driving in snow. Weather wise parts of western NC is an entirely different world than MB. It's almost like comparing the northeastern U.S. to south Florida. I don't even know why that comment belongs on this thread. The areas are hundreds of miles (and many feet in elevation!) from each other.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
2 Retired wrote:

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
steveh27 wrote:
A buddy has been renting ocean front condos there for over a decade during Jan-Mar. He's able to golf at least 3x a week. Had light flurries a few times, but reasonably warm most times.

Warm for A Wolverine !

A lot of nights near or below freezing.

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
We have lived in MB for the past 13 years. Some winters we never get below 40' at night. Several times, there were short periods of time when the night temps even went into the 20' range. Twice since we have been here there has been snow, but never over 4" and it was gone in about 12 hours. I do not own a winter coat, and rarely even wear gloves. We are originally from NJ so perhaps the what some down here call 'cold weather' just isn't that to us. MB is not known to be exceptionally windy, but any time you are on the ocean front you will certainly notice any wind more than elsewhere. You will need heat of some sort at night, of course, although we have taken down our Christmas decorations outside in shirts, shorts and sandals more than twice over the years! Yes, golf is played down her in Jan and Feb often No, it's not Florida or Arizona weather, but so many come as 'snowbirds' that it must be said many enjoy it!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
If I have to put a sweater on to play golf, I'm too far north.
Dennis Hoppert

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
too cold for this old gal ๐Ÿ™‚ we live near MB and go alot to the state parks in the area for summer time and when we do a CG like MB Travel Park (for the indoor pool in winter/lower cost) we freeze for sure. But some might be ok with that. Not 'warm enough' for me as a 'wintering place' at all. My sights in on GA or FL for over winter.

We were just at Apache cg and the older couple, our neighbors, are doing Oct to March and they are from upstate NY...they say they are fine with the tougher winter beach weather. whatever floats your boat kinda thing.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
A buddy has been renting ocean front condos there for over a decade during Jan-Mar. He's able to golf at least 3x a week. Had light flurries a few times, but reasonably warm most times.