cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snowbirds off to Hawaii!

Merphoe
Explorer
Explorer
Where to start? Reading lots of posts talk about their Hawaii trip - we would like to spend 4-5 months on 2-3 of the islands. Where would one find budget-friendly places to stay. Any websites to recommend? Can we rent bicycles? Any info would be appreciated. Would also love to follow TSN or RDS (canadian hockey teams).
3 REPLIES 3

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Last time we were on Kauai they allowed tent camping in a park way around the island. Not sure about now as after we were there, a dam collapsed and took out the road. I'm sure the road was opened in short order.

The park was on the beach with a block building restroom and outside showers for rinsing off the salt water.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
On Maui we stay at the Maui Kai condo. It's not fancy but it's fairly inexpensive and is literally right on the water. A good resource for condos and rental homes is VRBO.COM
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I still enjoy going back to Waikiki when we go. We usually stay in one of the hotels one block off of the beach, there are two right on the canal and they are much cheaper than the ones that have a view of the beach. There is an Enterprise Car Rental just down the street, almost any type of food is within a 3-4 minute walk from either of the motels (they face each other) We enjoy people watching and there is plenty to see. On Thursdays, many of the temporary/longer term guests, join in to the local Ukulele sessions on the beach (bring what ever you might play, you will be welcomed) you don't need to be professional as lessons are offered for free. We only rent a car for 2-3 days in the week so we can explore different areas, I really enjoy mixing in with the locals at the beaches, churches and other gathering spots. Just my opinion, for what it is worth. JH