cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snyder's New System (MI State Parks)

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back from spending the weekend at Ludington State Park, and the park itself was great. Tons of deer to watch, beautiful snow filled cedar and pine trees, and mostly empty trails to wander around on. The campground had about ten sites plowed open, and the electricity was on. Everything else was boarded up. The first night after I arrived, some brave souls attempted to camp nearby in tents... they only lasted one night. It was 15F when I arrived, and dropped to around 9F in the wee hours.

I arrived early on Saturday, and left early on Monday. To my knowledge, no rangers were on site, just volunteers, and a State carpenter (at least, he drove a government truck) repairing the mini-cabin.

// On to the rant... //

Self registration was at the main gate, and still relied mostly on a pre-printed form and an iron ranger, but with a few changes from Mr. Snyder.

Firstly, he installed a direct-dial telephone at the main gate, through which you are obligated to report your arrival for self registration or future reservations. The telephone is installed about 3 ft from the ground, and the handset is connected via a piece of steel cable about 10 inches long. It would be perfect if I were 4 ft tall, or sitting in a wheel chair or on a bench. However, at 6 and a half feet tall, it was most difficult to use. So here I was standing at the main gate, bent over ninety degrees talking to a call center. Luckily, it was somewhere where English was the primary language, however, it was not in Michigan (way to keep it local Rick.)

The main gate was very busy, there were lots of cars and loud diesels motoring by, and I was repeating myself frequently to the young lady on the other end. We went around and around a few times on what site number I wanted, as I repeatedly informed the operator the site numbers were buried under several inches of snow, I finally just asked for a list and repeated the second number available. This park does not use site number posts, instead relying on painted roadway markings. Do any state parks use posts? None that I've been to.

Finally we get to the brass tacks of the situation, the fee, a good ten minutes into the call. My back is rather angry at this time and I'm getting impatient. The fee the operator reads me is ten dollars higher than what's posted on the fee schedule, located next to the telephone. I ask why is it higher, and I'm told it includes a reservation fee. I say I don't need a reservation, I need a registration (which I indicated when I started the call.) So I get a please hold, and the line switches to running advertisements about other great services Snyder's operation has to offer.

I tried to wait on hold, but I didn't last long. So I hung up. I made out my check to the State of Michigan in the amount indicated on the fee schedule. I sealed it in its little envelope, and put it in the iron ranger.

I was expecting a visit from Snyder (or one of his representatives) the next morning, asking why I didn't follow-through with his system, but no such visit came. The carpenter showed up about 9 am (on a Sunday), I waved as he drove by in one of Rick's trucks.

Monday morning arrived, and so did the carpenter at about 8:30, but he was driving his own personal vehicle this day. I didn't get to wave as I was inside my trailer eating a bagel.

I imagine Rick will sort the bugs out on his new system, or maybe he'll decide to keep the iron ranger around longer. It does a fine job, and I don't see how a telephone and an operator make the process any better or save any of my tax dollars.

If you made it all the way down here, thanks for reading my rant.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
11 REPLIES 11

answerswillvary
Explorer
Explorer
Forum Rules: Political and religious posts, pictures, links, signatures etc. are not allowed in these forums and may be removed without notice or discussion.

Rather than delete this topic due to its Political content, I am choosing to close it down. The thread may contain some valuable information for other members. Too bad the politics could not have been left out.

Sandi (Moderator)
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree,

Sorry you had so much problem but wouldn't been more productive to file a complaint either verbal or in writing at the Ludington SP office that's close on the south side in the bridge to the CG's and east about 1/4 mile on the blacktop road with the sign and arrow that says "OFFICE"? It's always been open all winter as there's a DNR staff and work crew there and we've stopped in several times before because we knew one of the staff quite well, a friend.

Not at all sure what Rick Snyder had to do with your ranting!

Prior, the call res center was in Maryland and then another state before they tried to use a foreign location across the Atlantic that was a real problem. At least it's still in the USA now in a USA state and employs an American!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
Seems Gordon Three is of a particular governmental etc persuasion by his wordings.

My persuasion is rather unimpressed toward both/all parties.

Yes, I voted for the other guy in the election, but if he had won and chosen to outsource my iron ranger to an out of state call center, I'd be ranting about that as well.

If the parks need more money, I will gladly pay it in an upfront manner... increase the nightly fee, charge a gate fee, etc. I've been a supporter of the MI parks passport program on both my vehicles since it started.

I don't appreciate having to jump through hoops which were added to make other people money (just how much of a percentage of intake is this call center's owner making?)

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rick Snyder is our fine present Governor who's still digging out the state from the mess our last governor made of our state parks and our state. The state has gone from near last place to near the top since 2010 under his leadership and is still advancing! The state parks are once again getting the needed repairs and improvements that were shelved prior to years before 2010. Seems Gordon Three is of a particular governmental etc persuasion by his wordings.

It's the results that really count!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Locky
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
Please remember that you are a national forum.

For those of us not familiar with Michigan parks: Who is Snyder? Who is Rick?

Thanks in advance.

Rick Snyder is our worthless Governor.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Sorry ๐Ÿ™‚

Rick Snyder, former Chairman / CEO of Gateway Computers, now republican Governor of the State of Michigan

Thanks.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Sorry ๐Ÿ™‚

Rick Snyder, former Chairman / CEO of Gateway Computers, now republican Governor of the State of Michigan

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks in advance.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
You could always go to a CG that Rick doesn't control.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
M GO BLUE wrote:
Ever think they do this just for the winter?

The signage around the telephone indicated it would soon be the ONLY way to self-register, that the iron ranger system is going away.

The signage may have been made prior to actual laws being passed, because a public act number was not listed on the signs (I think it's officially supposed to be there). Perhaps this plan is not yet set in stone.

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
Ever think they do this just for the winter?

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)