cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So where did you boondock today?

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
This is a new thread to document where you boondocked recently in your RV. It doesn't have to be today, it can be last week or last month. Please post a pic or two. This should be a great thread. I'm looking forward to seeing your posts in the future. Thanks.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.
51 REPLIES 51

Bndr4bxrz
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. New to the site. Just looking for ideas.

Headed for Wi from Ca...the long way, clock wise around the country. I 5 to US97 to US2 to US51, looking for suggestions on "boondock" sites along the way as well as "must see/do" places. Also have 3 boxers ( all rescues) although I only claim one.

Driving a '95 Bounder 32' towing small Toyota p/u for the "must see/do".

I appreciate any ideas. Thanks to all.

Bndr4bxrz

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
Not today, but we boondock at Sheldon NWR off Hwy 140 Nv.on our way to Ut.&Co.
We boondock at USFS land just west of Capitol Reef NP.Hwy.12
We Boondock at Hickison Petroglyph east of Austin Nv. Hwy. 50
This was from April 22,2013 to May 13,2013
J herb

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is it with women and rocks? My wife loves rock collecting, me... not so much. Your spot looks good to me with the wide open views, but as you say it is kinda short on vegetation. It's often tough to find both in the SW.
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
That was an excellent boondocking spot, Brian.

Exactly the kind of spot we like - assuming of course that there are rocks there for the DW to collect! Your short Class C on an E450 also looks like a perfect set up for extended boondocking in complete comfort.

I much prefer the additional desert vegetation that your spot had over what our boondocking site last October had:

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not cold at all and yes we gazed at the stars. I'd think an area out of the canyon would be better for a wider view of the sky, but where we were at was great for us folks that don't really know or care what we're lookin' at.

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow! That's really remote territory. Brian, I have been told that that area has some of the darkest sky (and best star-gazing) in the whole USA. Did you get outside at night, or was it too cold?
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
What a great spot we found in the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest about 50 miles north of Tonopah, NV...

The view from under the RV awning...

Behind the RV...

Up the road a couple miles or so...

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, those are great shots. Love the night sky in the one.

Yes, the Rainbow Rim was very worth the drive to get there. I recognized your boondocking spot from one of your old pics. Somebody had taken it before we got there, so we had to take a spot at the end of road.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mike, isn't the Rainbow Rim amazing? That is the first place we ever boondocked -- and it turned DW from a skeptic into a believer!

Anyway, just to add to the thread, here are two shots of our most recent boondocking site in the Sequoias from last week:

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Not today, but last week I boondocked at the Valley of the Gods, on Boulder Mt just off Route 12 in S. Utah, and Locust Pt. on the N. Rim of the Grand Canyon.

My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

nina_70
Explorer
Explorer
bearvy wrote:
A quick note to Nina: Hi Nina. You have such a wonderful way of popping up everywhere. I got onto this thread for the first time ever and as I was reading, I thought I should let you know about it, and then voila! there is your very informative post. I love your blog and posts. See you again one of these days. Kathie

Hehe...nice to see ya on the forum Kathie! So appropriate since we met each other boondocking in Anza Borrego ๐Ÿ™‚
12 paws, 40-feet and the open road
http://wheelingit.us

bearvy
Explorer
Explorer
A quick note to Nina: Hi Nina. You have such a wonderful way of popping up everywhere. I got onto this thread for the first time ever and as I was reading, I thought I should let you know about it, and then voila! there is your very informative post. I love your blog and posts. See you again one of these days. Kathie
K & B Maxwell
San Diego Natives
2004 Dolphin 5342
2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
nina_70 wrote:
Is this "officially" a COE area?
You know, I'm not sure, but being that close to the dam I would guess so. Somebody (presumably Indians) were there rebuilding the fishing piers last week. Of course they were working in that very spot so I moved across the "street" to the WA side, which isn't nearly as friendly for camping, but still nice.

I was right next to the road (as you can see) but there's very little traffic there, and none at night. Great views, no rent, no services except for garbage farther down closer to the dam.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

nina_70
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
On the Columbia River at Rufus OR.

Now, this looks like an interesting spot. We're going to be in the Columbia River Gorge in around a month or so and looking for boondocking in the area. Is this "officially" a COE area?

nina_70
Explorer
Explorer
Eyeland wrote:
Utah, Near Canyonland and Arches off 313 called Horsethief.

Not that we're picky about terminology or anything remotely like that on this forum, but that's a dry-camping area (not free) ๐Ÿ™‚
Horsethief BLM Campground. Still, very nice spot!

We're currently very closeby, along another canyon in Moab at Big Bend BLM Campground. Not much "true" boondocking around Moab sadly.