cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So where did you boondock today?

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
This is a new thread to document where you boondocked recently in your RV. It doesn't have to be today, it can be last week or last month. Please post a pic or two. This should be a great thread. I'm looking forward to seeing your posts in the future. Thanks.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.
51 REPLIES 51

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
No pictures but , I just spent two nites beside the lake in the park in the center of Wewahitchka. Florida .
My spell check is trying to spell the town name ; kitchenware '.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Am just home after 3 months wandering. Some of that was a *gasp* hotel..Louisiana and Mississippi...two weeks.

Anyway...my camp on The Slabs in Ca.

On Stuart Lake, BC..Fort St James.

Same place..sunset

I have no idea where, but in Ca..by a Carl Jr's..on edit..it 's in Williams. Right off I-5. Parked in the lot beside the grass. Was perfect.

I paid for one campsite..in Brookings, Oregon..one of the nicest anyplace on the west coast.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Last weekend in the Sitgreaves National Forest near Heber, AZ.

2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to resurrect this thread in the hope that we can post photos of our most recent boondocking escapades. It doesn't necessary have to be where you boondocked today. It can be last week. Please try and stay on topic.
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
They are antennas..not cables. One for CB the other VHS. If you look closely at the furthest, you can see the angle and as it clears the cab.

Gary Haupt

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gary,

Why the cables coming down from your cabover to the cab fenders?? What effects were you experiencing before installing these?

A long time ago I had special RV shock absorber assemblies mounted similar to what you have on a 1969 Chinook chassis-mount Class C we owned - but have never seen them on a modern Class C.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
We are outside of Jefferson again. We took a spot we are surprised was open with the holiday but we hit it just right as the spots around us filled after we got here.
The sun broke the tree line at 6 am and I Started seeing 14 amp right off. Once we hit float I'll point the panel to the south and leave it. Its so nice not worrying. About the battery.
We expect sunny mornings and rainy afternoons. Fine by me. The more rain the better.
We will see just how quiet this place is on the loudest holiday of the year. Pics when we get home.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
And last night...Saturday...in Kamloops.

Gary Haupt

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Rolled into the Okanagan this afternoon and parked here for my daily lunch/nap/reading time....this is Peachland.

Then motored over to town proper...

Right across the street is a pub...*cough cough*

Boondocking..another way to say...."roughing it."

Gary Haupt

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
I spent Wednesday night here drycamping at the roadside, at the entrance to the rhododendron gardens on Roan Mtn on the NC/TN line:

These are the natural gardens, taken a few years ago at nearer the bloom peak:

There's acres and acres of these 10'-15' tall shrubs, along with hiking trails and views. The Appalachian Trail crosses Roan Mtn.

Jim, "Boycott shampoo! Demand real poo!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow! 230 watts! Very cool setup.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
The panel is 230w , weighs around 50 lbs and stores on the bed. It rides on the Expedition or on the bed. Here it is on the Expedition using a ratcheting tie down strap with foam to protect it. You can see the piece of carpet I lay up there when it loaded and parked.

As for deploying it, I use two pieces of pine I had in the garage and a pair of clamps to hold them on. Moving the legs back and forth adjust for tilt and they fold flat for when the wind comes up.

You could set something similar up for around $400 including panel, controller and cords. You might be close enough to SolarBlvd.com to pick the panel up and save shipping. They have great prices. You could get two smaller panels and hinge them together if you wanted a more manageable set up.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim, cool panel! How much does it weigh, and what is the wattage? Is it easy to transport, store, and deploy?
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
We spent 6 days up in the South Parke Rangers district in the Pike Nat. forest. Not much for views this time as we took a secluded spot in a clearing.

Here is the new solar panel that made it so we didn't need the Champ for charging any more.

After this it's time to move to the Terryall area as this was the last spot in the Rock Creek Rd area that we wanted to camp at. I don't think we will get out again for at least a few weeks.