cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

South Western Campgrounds

BJean
Explorer
Explorer
Due to weather our Fl campground may be unavailable we are wondering just safe are the Western Campgrounds. Have heard they are not as safe as Fl.
19 REPLIES 19

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
You can see from my map I've been a few places and have never felt "un-safe" anywhere.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarbaraOK wrote:
starcraft69 wrote:
I heard the same thing about the southwest.!!! My best friends sister had a cousins next door neighbor brother tell them that his uncle heard from his sister in-law that her aunt told her is was more dangerous. I would stick with Florida if i was you. Im just saying!!!!!

:h

I agree. Please stay in Florida. We are in Mesa, AZ for the winter and there really is a rough crowd around here. The men all seem to have white stick legs poking down from shorts that are too big, all have white hair (or no hair) and all wear mysterious caps with different logos and dark glasses. They clog parking lots, routinely drive the speed limits antagonizing the locals, they hold potlucks all over the place, have 'adult' beverages of every kind almost every night. Really just terrible and must be avoided at all costs. :B

What she said ^^^^^! Oh No! I am one of them. And I fly model airplanes and might crash into a RV. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We have snow-birded in RV parks in Casa Grande, Tucson, and Benson in southern AZ; Las Cruces, Deming, Truth or Consequences, and Elephant Butte in southern NM, and in South Texas and along the Texas Gulf Coast. I don't ever remember feeling unsafe in any of those areas, so we are planning to go back to Las Cruces this winter.

If you are from a small town in the Midwest, perhaps you might feel more comfortable in a small town in the Southwest. Although only about 40 miles from El Paso, Las Cruces is a university town that is large enough to have most anything you might need to buy over the winter, but small enough to drive across in 15 minutes.

Casa Grande is a relatively small town between Phoenix and Tucson, but has enough shopping that you don't need to go into either big city unless you want to. But, if you were interested in attending MLB spring training games in Florida, you can do the same thing in the Phoenix area, including the Chicago Cubs just 30 minutes from Casa Grande in Mesa. And, if you are interested in gems, beads, and jewelry, Tucson has the largest gem and mineral show in the nation in February.

So, while admittedly having no white sand beaches or tarpon fishing, the Southwest has plenty of other activities to keep you occupied. And that famous Arizona heat--it's a DRY heat! ๐Ÿ˜‰
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
I was a LEO in Florida for several decades and since retiring, have wintered in both the RGV in Texas and the border area of Yuma and Nogales AZ. I will say, based on my experiences and such, I will continue to snowbird in the SW, as I feel safer there.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

BJean
Explorer
Explorer
The city that we are from is quite small. In the lasr year we have had 2 repeat 2 breaking, 5 fights and have not had a killing in the last 50 years. Sorry if you have a really bad town to live in.
To the illegal problem you have we may have some in our area but they are all very law abiding.
Only ask as we do not like waiting to the lasr minuite to plan foe a trip.
Thanks to all who have answered.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
I might avoid campgrounds real close to the border and campgrounds which may have a lot of permanent residents (anywhere) but otherwise I wouldn't worry at all. Tex., Az and Ca have lots of nice state park campgrounds.

We have wintered 2 miles from the border and the Rio Grande River in Texas the past 12 Winters with no issues, Love it and heading back this week for 6 months.
pawatt

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I might avoid campgrounds real close to the border and campgrounds which may have a lot of permanent residents (anywhere) but otherwise I wouldn't worry at all. Tex., Az and Ca have lots of nice state park campgrounds.
Jayco-noslide

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
starcraft69 wrote:
I heard the same thing about the southwest.!!! My best friends sister had a cousins next door neighbor brother tell them that his uncle heard from his sister in-law that her aunt told her is was more dangerous. I would stick with Florida if i was you. Im just saying!!!!!

I agree. Please stay in Florida. We are in Mesa, AZ for the winter and there really is a rough crowd around here. The men all seem to have white stick legs poking down from shorts that are too big, all have white hair (or no hair) and all wear mysterious caps with different logos and dark glasses. They clog parking lots, routinely drive the speed limits antagonizing the locals, they hold potlucks all over the place, have 'adult' beverages of every kind almost every night. Really just terrible and must be avoided at all costs. :B

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
BJean wrote:
Due to weather our Fl campground may be unavailable we are wondering just safe are the Western Campgrounds. Have heard they are not as safe as Fl.

I assume that your question is a thinly veiled reference to illegal Hispanics and drug runners. Any campground in any state is as safe or dangerous as your situational awareness, location, tenants and staff make it.

The closer to the boarder you are, the safer you are because of the Boarder Patrol presence,and illegals and drug runners are trying not to call attention to themselves and get through as quickly as possible. We've stay in urban campgrounds in the Tucson an Phoenix areas which we really don't like because they are big cities and we are country mice. That is where situational awareness is most important.

There are two big plusses to going to Arizona. The fresh vegetables from both side of the boarder are wonderful. And you can get prescription drugs, eye glasses and dental work at bargain prices. My special sunglasses lenses cost $350 in the States and $100 in Mexico and it only takes about three hours.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
BJean wrote:

This is a ridiculous statement. Your home town is probably just as bad as some cities in the entire U.S.!!!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Nolan
Explorer
Explorer
Us out West wrote:
darsben1 wrote:
If you are looking for a place to stay in Arizona I recommend the city of Casa Grande, AZ.
Small but not to small
2 nice RV Resorts
Fiesta Grande and Palm Creek both have lots of activities for the residents,
We had 2 days of rain last winter and less than 10 cloudy days.

Your continued promotion is getting really boring.

Thank you. Because there are more then just two nice RV parks in the Casa Grande, AZ. area. ๐Ÿ™‚

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer

2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking for a place to stay in Arizona I recommend the city of Casa Grande, AZ.
Small but not to small
2 nice RV Resorts
Fiesta Grande and Palm Creek both have lots of activities for the residents,
We had 2 days of rain last winter and less than 10 cloudy days.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Location, location, location.

That's the key. Any region has some problem cities and some problem RV parks.

The vast majority are very safe and comfortable.

I've stayed in the RGV of Texas, the barren empty regions of west Texas a few miles from the border, the Gulf Coast from Brownsville to Key West.

The only place I was concerned was TY Park in Fort Lauderdale. Not that the park has a problem, but our rig was just a couple dozen feet from the short fence and the railroad right of way. One of the big Class A rigs got broken into one night while we were there. Two spots from us. I'm sure it was a very rare occurrence.

I look at the neighborhood, and if I would feel comfortable walking down the street after dark, I'll go to another park.

This winter we plan to spend several weeks just outside San Diego - 12 miles from the border and I'm not worried.

I would also say don't abandon your regular CG too quickly. See if the park has actual damage and if they will be closed. Confirm before you decide to go elsewhere if that is your only reason.

Then pick a specific area to ask about. I'm sure someone on this forum has stayed in the area.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT