cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Still Boondocking in Colorado

Sawtooth63
Explorer
Explorer
A week ago I spent three days and two nights boondocking along a state highway here in Colorado at an elevation of 9,000 feet. Winter is coming late this year, so I took advantage of the good roads to boondock at the trailhead for my elk hunt. I only spent the evening hours and slept in my trailer, and only ran the furnace fan with the battery. I used AA battery "UFO" lights and it was cool enough that I put my food in the fridge without running it and everything stayed cold. I was pretty happy with the trip, mainly because it was the coldest trip i've made and I gained some insight on what it takes to boondock in my trailer this time of year. Here's my rig on the Continental Divide on the way home.

2007 Toyota Tacoma
2017 Starcraft AR-One Extreme 18QB
Good Sam RV Club Member
5 REPLIES 5

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
Woohoo another AR-ONE MAXX owner! Snow just started this past weekend in Colorado. Very late this year.
2017 Starcraft AR-ONE MAXX 20BHLE
2012 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD

Rjdreyer
Explorer
Explorer
Bigger question is how was the hunt? Went a couple times over by Sargents before. Got a doe, but let the elk go by, down in a gulch and not able to carry back over the ridge in waist deep snow.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow! Who would have thought that anyone could camp in mid-November at 9000 feet in Colorado? Isn't there usually more snow by this time of year?
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Sawtooth63
Explorer
Explorer
Dry weight is right at 3,000 and I'm not sure what wet weight is, but I would guess around 3,300. My fresh tank was empty. I hauled 5 gallons of fresh water in the back of my truck.
2007 Toyota Tacoma
2017 Starcraft AR-One Extreme 18QB
Good Sam RV Club Member

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice rig. What are your unloaded and gross weights with the Extreme package & roof AC? That's a rig I would be interested in.

What did you do with your water system? Dry camp?
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board