cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stone Mountain information

Kentucky_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone tell me what loops have the most level sites. Also, does anyone know of any tour groups that pick you up at the cg and take you downtown to Atlanta. Is it safe to leave your car at the train station and go downtown that way. Did you think the coke museum was worth it. What about the CNN tour? How are the Botantical Gardens? Saw where there is now a special viewing area for the laser show at night. When we were there last time, we just sat on the hill. Is it worth paying to sit in the VIP viewing area? Can you still take a showboat ride or has that ended? I saw where they now have "The ducks". Where do the "ducks" take you? Is there still a car museum, didn't see any info on that. Any information you can provide would be appreciated. We were there several years ago and it seems that a lot has changed since then. We would like to go downtown, haven't ever been, but not crazy about driving down there and want to know what the best way to get there is. Went on their website, but couldn't find my answers. Will call there, but wanted to see if anyone here could offer any advice before I called. Thanks in advance.
14 REPLIES 14

bighog01
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much Trlrboy! Just the info we were looking for!

Trlrboy
Explorer
Explorer
Here are pictures of site 277...
Shady all day, walking distance to the pool and general store, 5 minute ride to the attractions area Looked level to me and not hard to back into...

2010 Montana 3400RL
Chevy 2500HD Duramax

PHOTOLINK

Trlrboy
Explorer
Explorer
bighog01 wrote:
Trlrboy we will be in 277 in July. A few pics would be great!!

OK, I'll take a few of 277 today or tomorrow.
2010 Montana 3400RL
Chevy 2500HD Duramax

PHOTOLINK

rode2nowhere
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have either

bighog01
Explorer
Explorer
Trlrboy we will be in 277 in July. A few pics would be great!!

Trlrboy
Explorer
Explorer
We are in site 327 from today through next week. There is a varied mix of sites throughout the campground. The one we are in is almost perfectly level and backs up to the water. No problem at all backing into the site and fitting our 38' trailer and pickup in it. This is the M loop with FHU, steady power, dump pipe below grade level and behind the trailer it's very nice right down by the water. If anyone wants me to take pictures of specific sites just let me know and I'll post them here.
2010 Montana 3400RL
Chevy 2500HD Duramax

PHOTOLINK

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
We were in the loop around the pool; as a group probably the most level sites in the park but very little shade for most of the day. Plug in a voltmeter and keep tabs on line voltage when the weather is real hot & humid (yeah, I know - it's GEORGIA.....). Voltage was down by 10% during our visit.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
yes, it is safe to leave your car in lot and ride MARTA... but don't leave anything visible.. or anything obviously covered/hidden (like a blanket over stuff on back seat.. couple things not mentioned, while you are in CNN, Aquarium Area be sure to go to Centennial Park built for 96 Olympics. Take a look at MARTA maps, because it truly is easier to ride train/bus than to drive and park.. and really no more expensive than most parking.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Kentucky_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. Got our reservations and looking forward to going.

Olde_Volks_Plac
Explorer
Explorer
Correct I'm looking at the map the "Purple sites" start at #140-168
and oddly enough there is a "91,93,94 purple as well" but just behind and between lot 150-151 is a road that goes to other camp sites is where those 3 sites are and lot 94 is a pull thru.

Again the purple sites have ALL the hook ups with easy access to the pool,horse shoes,volleyball and playground, not to mention the store and propane refill station.

and it looks like TWO dump stations now that is convenience ๐Ÿ™‚

and should you need RV svc there are two centers near by, Great Escape rv about 6 miles from St Mt and Peco campers is about the same distance.

well hope this helps

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
As far as level campsites, the loop by the pool is the best... sites 140-168 , I think. Last time we were there, we were in 144 or 145 and it was level and plenty of room for our MH and toad.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Olde_Volks_Plac
Explorer
Explorer
Another must go to is the VARSITY if you like real onion rings or fresh cut FF and a chili,slaw,dawg or two a real must see and not to far from the Coke/Aquarium attractions.

In the day time ok --- at night in the ATL DON'T even pull out your cell ph it just might become the property of a ATL resident "THUG"

Not trying to scare you but as with any major city it has it's own problems and is a wonderful place to go even at night BUT you must be aware of your surroundings.

Now if you believe in the second amendment and are a card toating member and Ga recognizes your states permit then I say lock n load and ENJOY YOURSELF!!! any time of day/night.

This post was not approved by the Atlanta tourism board :B

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
Don't think there is any tour bus leaving Stone Mtn to take you into town. Your best bet is to take the train, known as MARTA, into Atlanta. Must sees in Atlanta are:
1. Aquarium
2. Coke Museum
3. CNN
4. High Museum
5. Cyclorama
6. ZooAtlanta
7. Fernbank Museum
8. Atlanta History center

Some of these sites are not easily accessible by rapid transit so plan on driving to them. DO NOT BE IN DOWNTOWN ATLANTA AFTER 6PM. VERY DANGEROUS.

Consider buying the Atlanta City Pass to save considerable on ticket prices.

Olde_Volks_Plac
Explorer
Explorer
Kentucky_joe,

Here is a PH# to St Mt.(770)498-5690 they might be able to answer most any question you have to the camp sites and attractions.

1st - I was just out at St Mt and did not see the auto mus.(not on main rd anymore might have moved it)--update--- IT IS GONE
2nd - you are right about viewing area for laser show (paid seating I think) you would be the only one to say if it is worth it.
3rd - YES YES YES to the Coke museum
4th - Botanical Gardens I have never been but hear it is worth going
5th - I can tell you as for level camping sites the best ones are just as you drive in to the CGand also an easy in and out as for some of the other sites,Yes there are some level sites but I wasnt impressed with any of them. BUT having said that keep in mind no matter who answers your post this is all their Opinion.
6th - St Mt only has 35 (purple) Camp Sites (BEST) IMO at 47 in off season 57 per night in-season and the go for 67 a night in the Holidays season. the purple sites have the following water/electric/sewer/cable

I hope this helps

Oh I think the ducks just go to the lake and I think the P W Boat is still at St Mt