cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storing rv in desert heat

AnnieCobey
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m leaving my fifth wheel set up in an rv park for the summer months Any tips on what I should do to before I leave. I wonโ€™t be returning until late fall. Also can I leave food or drinks in the rv or should I get rid of them. Any advice would be great as this is my first year doing this
20 REPLIES 20

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder why you don't use gallon milk containers. I put 7 or 8 in all my 13 rentals. I have been using them for 19 years. I make sure they are only 3 or 4 months old. Otherwise, I do everything else as you do
samsontdog:o:W

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
This is done thousands of times over in the Yuma area. Drain water heater, open black and gray tanks, pour wind shied washer fluid down kitchen sink, vanity sink, and pottie (some use vegetable oil). Then cover those drains with Saran Wrap and stretch Saran Wrap across pottie below the seat. Top off batteries and disconnect. Turn propane off. Place plastic buckets full of water in bedroom, bath, kitchen, and living area. DO NOT use milk jugs. Take anything with elastic in it with you. Put silver bubble paper in the vent squares inside. Silver bubble paper all windows (between glass and blind). Some put plastic sheets over chairs etc. You can build small boxes to cover roof vents up on the roof. Also, you can build a larger box to cover AC unit. Be sure to put a patio block on each box cover. Put silver bubble paper on inside of refer vent door. Let refer doors open. You can take plastic spouting and cover your roll-up awning. cover tires and put weight against the covers. You will be surprised how good it will be inside when returning.
If I can be of more help just PM me. We do several for our friends after they leave.

Thank you for this helpful post.
pawatt

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is done thousands of times over in the Yuma area. Drain water heater, open black and gray tanks, pour wind shied washer fluid down kitchen sink, vanity sink, and pottie (some use vegetable oil). Then cover those drains with Saran Wrap and stretch Saran Wrap across pottie below the seat. Top off batteries and disconnect. Turn propane off. Place plastic buckets full of water in bedroom, bath, kitchen, and living area. DO NOT use milk jugs. Take anything with elastic in it with you. Put silver bubble paper in the vent squares inside. Silver bubble paper all windows (between glass and blind). Some put plastic sheets over chairs etc. You can build small boxes to cover roof vents up on the roof. Also, you can build a larger box to cover AC unit. Be sure to put a patio block on each box cover. Put silver bubble paper on inside of refer vent door. Let refer doors open. You can take plastic spouting and cover your roll-up awning. cover tires and put weight against the covers. You will be surprised how good it will be inside when returning.
If I can be of more help just PM me. We do several for our friends after they leave.

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Can you store it in a place with a covered roof? Personally that's what I'd do.

The sun will just flat out detiorate your RV.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remove batteries.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Will it be have a sun protective cover over it or exposed naked to the elements?

In parts of AZ, interior temps with no a/c can easily reach over 125 degrees inside during the summer. You need a cover or at least window sunshields. I have seen sunbirds come back in fall to exploded containers of food everywhere. It's not just how hot it may get but how long that sustained heat is present. Each year all the news stations do their annual fry and egg on the hood or place a block of ice inside a vehicle to show how fast temperatures rise. One did an RV and the temps were over 125 from about 9 in the morning to 9 at night. I don't care how well an RV is built, that is some serious high temps to endure almost every day for three months. Imagine whats happening to any food or drink!
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.