cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

suggested CGs in Northern Minnesota

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning (sort of) a trip to Northern Minnesota. We want to explore in the International Falls area and around Superior.

We just want to wing it and I know how that can go, but we're not on a rigid schedule really. We just want to see some of the beautiful countryside and explore lakes for possible fishing trips in the future.

Not taking the boat. We have a TC and probably will keep it on the truck if only staying a night here and there.

Any suggestions from those who know or visited the area?

We love to walk so that's not an issue. It can't be too rugged though as our Cavalier had knee surgery in April. He's doing well but we don't want to over stress it.

This should fun!
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7
5 REPLIES 5

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
We were able to get a site for 4 days next week at Burlington Bay. I can't wait to explore. We haven't camped in over a month! I'm going through withdrawal.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
It all depends upon what experience you are looking for.
Some like Burlington Bay in Two Harbors. For me, the new section is like a parking lot. No trees, terraced levels, sites right next to one another with zero screening. (But a nice view of the lake).

If you don't want/need full hookups, then try the MN State Parks and National Forest Campgrounds. Lots of great campgrounds on nice lakes. Check out the website for MN State Parks and Superior National Forest camping.
There are just a few campgrounds in the immediate area of International Falls.

bushcoat
Explorer
Explorer
I like Burlington bay, will be staying there in a couple weeks. Grand marais is nice, I could hang around the town forever and its a lot closer for me than two harbors. If you aren't looking for services there are several in the "superior national Forest" that are low budget, and I like "trails end" on the gunflint trail north of grand marais. Trails end sites are small, ideal for TC or tenting.

Gsetter
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto the Burlington Bay city park in Two Harbors. They have a new section with nice grassy sites.
1997 Country Coach Intrigue

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Two of my favorite campground are run by the cities of Two Harbors and further north on lake superior there is Grand Marais

Burlington Bay Campground Two Harbors
Grand Marais RV Park and Campground

We were up in Grand Marais a few weeks ago - picture from our campsite below

Lots of water falls up there - many are right off the highway and easy to get to

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks