cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions for good camping spots in Michigan

Devoreg
Explorer
Explorer
We recently upgraded from a pop up to a jayco jay flight 29bhs and are working on planning or trips for the summer. We ussually travel with a couple other families and we all have young kids. We are not really interested in the overcrowded KOA type campgrounds and not nessacerily a focused family type place ( the parents enjoy having some beverages around the campfire after the kids go to bed, we are respectful to the others and are not having loud music parties but not looking for a 11:00 lights out no noise type of place).

We have had pretty good luck with state campgrounds but I know there are so many other cool places out there to explorer. We would like to be near water.

Does anyone have some good spots to suggest or a site with good info? I am sure there are the hidden gems that people do not want everyone to know about but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out the Michigan tourist website, www.Michigan.org - there is a campground search feature. You can also go to google maps - bring Michigan up and then in the search box, type in campgrounds and rv parks near and put a city. You can then click on them and many have a link to the campground website. If you want a state park - you better get your reservations in.

Admin
Moved from Towing

Admin
RV.net
Admin
RV.net

Devoreg
Explorer
Explorer
We are also interested in things to do nearby. All of the above activities sound like things we would enjoy doing. We are also interested in a nice place to just hang out with a nice view and walking distance to lakes or rivers. I am familier with many of the areas in northern Michigan but not nessacerily where to stay. Some areas of intrest are torch lake, southern Michigan lake shore and up in the petosky/traverse city area to name a few.

Sorry if my ask was vague, we are really just looking for suggestions of what others enjoy and where it is recommended to stay. Thanks

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what you are looking for. If you just want to spend a week on the beach, just about any beach will do depending on whether you wanted to see the sun rise or sunset. For us, we pick camping spots by what else is in the area. For instance, we go canoeing/kayaking, hiking, biking, museums, searching for Petoskey stones, light house tours, bear ranches, water fall tours, old historical sights, grist mills, ghost towns, forts, ice cream shops, etc., etc., etc. So I guess if we knew a little more about what you wanted to do and see, it would be easier to suggest something. I can tell you this in general, most of my personal best spots in Michigan are in the UP. but that is a big area and still you need to know what you want, before I can suggest what you might like.
Just one more piece of information I'd like to share with you. You are no supposed to post the same topic on more than one forum.