cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions on traveling in Wyoming

Kyedog
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to have the month of August to travel in Wyoming and northern Colorado. I am looking for suggestions on what to see and do. I am already going to spend time in Yellowstone and Grand Teton in July. I am interested in scenic roads, nature,wildlife and great campgrounds. I love the mountains fishing and mild hiking. At this point I have a blank page. I need to end up in Salida Colorado end of August.

I have a 26' travel trailer and not comfortable with boon-docking

Looking for advice
21 REPLIES 21

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
The Snowy Range road is a beautiful trip and one well worth taking. Shouldn't be any problem with a trailer as the road is pretty good and the scenery is beautiful. Make sure you stop near the top at Mirror Lake and take a hike.
John A. Lichty

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ramp Digger wrote:
wyocowboy00 wrote:
jalichty wrote:
I noticed that nobody talked about this, but if you are planning on going from Yellowstone/Grand Teton to northern Colorado, you might consider going out the south entrance of Grand Teton down to Dubois, there's a nice FS campground about 20 miles out of Dubois toward Grand Teton where you could park for a night. Then a trip down to Lander to Sleeping Bear RV Park. Stop for the night and take in Sinks Canyon where the river goes into a cavern and then re-surfaces about 1/4 mile downstream. Then up over the switchbacks and over to the South Pass highway, No. 28 and over to South Pass and Atlantic City (the towns) and then on down past Red Canyon with its beautiful red walls and contrasting greenery and views of over 100 miles toward the north. You can also go to see the Mormon, Pony Express and Oregon Trails in a very historic part of the Westward expansion. After that, it's a short hop down to Rawlins and into northern Colorado.

Good information by Jalichty. Not too sure what your interests are, but if you are looking for scenery I would suggest Sunlight Basin in the Yellowstone area - keep in mind this is Grizzly country - closest campground with hookups would be in Cody or Montana. While heading down to Southern Wyoming, head over the Snowy Range between Saratoga and Laramie. There are campgrounds with hookups in Saratoga, Riverside, & Laramie.
X2 on the snowey range.WY hwy 130 is a favorite of ours with the truck camper. Maybe someone else could advise on pulling a trailer along this route.Have fun.

+1 on WY 130/Snowy Range Road. While there are no hookups in the USFS CG in the area, Brooklyn Lake and Sugar Loaf in particular have spectacular scenery. WY 130 is not a difficult drive, has a lot of the beauty of Trail Ridge down in Rocky, but with about 1/50th the number of tourists. A bit curvy as it gets up top, but certainly doable.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
wyocowboy00 wrote:
jalichty wrote:
I noticed that nobody talked about this, but if you are planning on going from Yellowstone/Grand Teton to northern Colorado, you might consider going out the south entrance of Grand Teton down to Dubois, there's a nice FS campground about 20 miles out of Dubois toward Grand Teton where you could park for a night. Then a trip down to Lander to Sleeping Bear RV Park. Stop for the night and take in Sinks Canyon where the river goes into a cavern and then re-surfaces about 1/4 mile downstream. Then up over the switchbacks and over to the South Pass highway, No. 28 and over to South Pass and Atlantic City (the towns) and then on down past Red Canyon with its beautiful red walls and contrasting greenery and views of over 100 miles toward the north. You can also go to see the Mormon, Pony Express and Oregon Trails in a very historic part of the Westward expansion. After that, it's a short hop down to Rawlins and into northern Colorado.

Good information by Jalichty. Not too sure what your interests are, but if you are looking for scenery I would suggest Sunlight Basin in the Yellowstone area - keep in mind this is Grizzly country - closest campground with hookups would be in Cody or Montana. While heading down to Southern Wyoming, head over the Snowy Range between Saratoga and Laramie. There are campgrounds with hookups in Saratoga, Riverside, & Laramie.
X2 on the snowey range.WY hwy 130 is a favorite of ours with the truck camper. Maybe someone else could advise on pulling a trailer along this route.Have fun.
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
lenr wrote:
Guernsey in SE WY has 18" ruts in sandstone of the pioneer trial. Also register cliff where thousands of pioneers carved their initials. Doesn't take long to visit but very unique.

And they have a nice small quiet campground at the golf course in the south edge of town or Guernsey State park near.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Jerseydevil wrote:
I always wanted to check out Devils Tower in northeast corner of Wyoming.

It can be pretty impressive at night:

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
I always wanted to check out Devils Tower in northeast corner of Wyoming.

Kyedog
Explorer
Explorer
Wow so many great ideas
Much thanks

wyocowboy00
Explorer II
Explorer II
jalichty wrote:

2012 Chev. Silverado 3500HD DRW 4 X 4
2013 Arctic Fox 992 240 watts solar
Jerry & Judy

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
John A. Lichty

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Guernsey in SE WY has 18" ruts in sandstone of the pioneer trial. Also register cliff where thousands of pioneers carved their initials. Doesn't take long to visit but very unique.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Absaroka Bay if you stay in Cody. Best price, paved FHU etc. Not huge sites but then you are likely not going to spend a lot of time in the RV other than sleeping.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
Plan on several days on Cody, WY and the Buffalo Bill center....up to 2 days to see. The Cody, WY Night Rodeo at least once, and the BLM Wild Mustang Preserve.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
We were happy with Ridgway SP in Colorado if you get down that far. Elk Ridge loop will have the most "secluded" feel but all SP's in Colorado are popular and fill up quickly. I think they book reservations up to 6 months out.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kyedog, you probably already know this, but there will be a total eclipse on August 21 running right over the Tetons and toward Casper. The area will be very crowded (with good reason). That is not to say don't go -- we are going! But make reservations sooner than you ordinarily would.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."