cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions please!

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
We would love to boondock but we have a very hard time finding places that we feel secure at. We have solar and generator but want to try and find blm or forest land out west in texas new mexico arizona and california for winter time that have designated campsites. Last April we tried our 1st Blm location which was Craggy Wash just outside of Lake Havasu City and a very bad encounter with a very unkind man. The place was full of homeless people lurking at us like why are we here!! so we turned around and left and needless to say havent tried any others!! So suggestion on places that are not to isolated, that is not our cup of tea! Thanks Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
25 REPLIES 25

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tara, if you want a relatively quiet experience and better security, think about RV parks, believe it or not. Unlike campgrounds, there are no generators in RV parks. And because the perimeter is usually secure, the crime rate tends to be low (except, of course, in urban areas).

I know this sounds like heresy, coming from a die-hard boondocker like me, but there are times when ordinary campgrounds are less than wonderful. Especially around Spring Break!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are in Florida be sure to check out the State Park springs, fantastic camping sites. That would be Manatee Springs, Rainbow Springs, Silver Springs and Blue Springs. The one near Defuniak north of Orlando. Oddly FL has 4 parks with Blue Springs in their name. Homasassa State park is well worth the visit but no camping. If I was going to pick one, I would pick Manatee.

Florida Parks apparently just won their fourth gold medal in a national park competition. We take parks seriously down here, I think they are up to around 200 parks now.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Lol that's where we r now in south florida!! We will go on u tube and watch. We dont care if it's free we just want beautiful places to experience. The reason we r fulltiming is to visit all national parks and monuments! So far so good!! We do Corp of Engineers campgrounds most of the time but not many out west. Thank u all for for ur suggestions, appreciate your time! Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had a really loud and late neighbor one time that I recall. Think it may have been in a state park. They looked like a group of friends getting together, nonthreatening, I went over and asked them to tone it down. And they did.

I have seen a CG trashed by people. Blackwater State Park in NW FL, we got there right after the 4th of July. The place was a mess, watermelon rinds all over the place, trash cans overflowing and no sign of any park employees. I later found out there were supposed to be a couple of college students as CG Hosts but they went AWOL.

I've recently discovered that FL Parks have a very hard time recruiting CG Hosts for the summer, one of our local parks doesn't have one. The winter? People lined up 10 deep for the job...heh. Wonder why.
Superbumper

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gosh, speaking as someone who has done a lot of back-country boondocking all over the West, we have never felt threatened. I have had a few uncomfortable experiences in campgrounds closer to big cities when our neighbors have been playing loud music and drinking and yelling, late into the night. I did not feel safe in asking them to be quiet -- anyone who would engage in that behavior is not likely to be compliant! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Whether boondocking or in a campground, the farther we are from town, the safer we feel.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
caysea7254 wrote:
want to try and find blm or forest land out west in texas new mexico arizona and california for winter time that have designated campsites.
Boondock (BLM,forest) places don't have designated sites. For that you need dry campgrounds, like state or Federal parks.

Quartzsite is a favorite among many RVers for its proximity to the town and lots of space. I've never been hassled by anyone there.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
If looking for no-fee camping sites, the forest service uses the term dispersed camping sites. 14 Day maximum stay no fees, no features. If looking for rustic campgrounds, the Army Corps of Engineers have sites in addition to the BLM and Forest Service.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Am not out there now, but can understand your trepidations.
If you can believe them try a couple of the you tubers channels and their spots. A member who shows up in here occasionally has a channel called "Grand Adventure" His security video
He also has one on specifically how he finds boondocking spots. You may find them helpful, maybe not.
Or maybe Love your rv Both will give you some ideas for methods of selection and areas to visit.
Personally, for getting started, it may seem counterintuitive, but go farther away from towns or attractions. Being near a large lake, reservoir, or other tourist draw, also draws un desireables. Go for the middle of nowhere a few times. Then look back towards people.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Califonria U.S. 395 from the intersection with CA 14 is loaded with dry campsites and boondocking opportunities. Suggest you stay around Lone Pine or south thereof.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have specific National Forests or BLM districts go to their website and they will show all their CG. Freecampsites is very good. Or just a good paper map and look for the little green tree symbols that a lot of them use for campsites. I don't have it but a lot seem to like the Allstays app, I think it costs $9. You basically have to do your own research. CG near a city are asking for trouble. In my many years of camping I saw a situation like what you describe once, and it turned out to be a camp out of the Rainbow Tribe (may be extinct now) a mob of wandering hippies and bums. But we do not camp near any large cities.
Superbumper

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
https://freecampsites.net/ This includes a nice trip planner.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.