cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Summer camping in Florida

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, there is nothing like it. A week at the serenity of Salt Springs and that 72* water on a 90+ day, the Dip in the Rainbow River or a float trip before going out for seafood and then that week at Grayton Beach at one the most beautiful beaches on earth. Stunning sunsets, salt water so calm it looks like a lake and dining choices that never end. All while enjoying the company of friends around a campfire each night. Vacation can't come fast enough. Summer has returned to Florida
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)
47 REPLIES 47

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mark and Linda,

We haven't had any problem using our Verizon cells or our Verizon Jet Pack MIFI hot spot WIFI in or near Salt Springs or Juniper Springs either. ATT doesn't work at all in that area.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna ,

Total and complete BULL. I'll give you just one name of just one of the many RV parks closed in the area during the summer months. Old Town Campground and Retreat. Call them and try to get a site this summer and please report back honestly if you dare. Better keep a towel handy so you can wipe the egg off your face! I already know the answer and for several others too as I know the owners personally and NO, they are not our family's owned CG's either.

Perhaps, you might just drive past the entrance and see the lock entrance gate and the sign. Might want to check other CG's also and be sure to take that towel as you'll need it and maybe several more depending on how cleanly you want to wipe the eggs off your face!

Heard more than enough of you know-it-all posters!
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Was in Florida for several weeks, drove through Salt Springs...no cell phone. Checked out the campground at Juniper Springs, Fore Lake and Alexander Springs, good for winter camping or when the temps are lower. We love our AC...I talked with a fellow at Fore Lake and he said in the future they might be adding AC power to the spots. We have a house in Ocala and one in TN where our travel trailer is located.
Mark

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chiefland RV Park, Southern Comfort RV, Old Town Retreat and Suwannee River Hideaway make no mention of being closed in the summer and indeed look like successful busy campgrounds. I called Chiefland RV Park and talked to the lady and she said she did bot know of ant parks that close in the summer and that they are pretty busy with family campers in the summer especially since they added a pool.

I could find no mention on Passport of any campgrounds closed in the summer.

You still have not provided any names of any that close.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you call the ones on the north side of the Suwannee? Or all the CG's in the area? Guess not! Did you check Passport America etc? Guess not either! Just one small area of Florida and has 3 mentioned alone! Why do you think the CG's are full when the ten of thousands of snowbirds had left in Spring? Most of those not closed, usually have several sections in the CG closed at the min! So much for claiming BS! Read my post! On or with access to the water or springs that's close as it's the cooler "water" that's the calling card for most RV'ers to even come in summer!

BTW, when there's no answer or just an answering machine when you call, why would that be if the CG is actually open?

Yes, many CG's in Michigan are open all winter and have gone to them many times when home but most are only open in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. About the opposite in Florida as snowbirds are seasonal too. Nuff said!

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
travelnutz wrote:
3 in the Chiefland/Cedar Key/fanning Springs area alone close in April or May until about October and you can simply look them up and see. Others have tons of vacant sites in summer. Of course, the State Park CG's and National Park CG's don't close and just look where most of them are located and what the usual reason they are even there. Water baby, water! Wow, are some RV'ers who live in Florida really NOT aware! Who'd a thunk it? Sand hole, meet head! As said, our family owns CG's in Florida and they know and know why!

I simply looked every campground up, called several in Cedar Key, Fanning Springs and Chiefland and could not locate ONE campground that closes in the summer.

We go to Sunset Isle and Low Key Hideaway in Cedar Key and you're lucky to get a spot on a weekend there in the summer.

You are going to have to give phone numbers and names or I call BS.

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 in the Chiefland/Cedar Key/fanning Springs area alone close in April or May until about October and you can simply look them up and see. Others have tons of vacant sites in summer. Of course, the State Park CG's and National Park CG's don't close and just look where most of them are located and what the usual reason they are even there. Water baby, water! Wow, are some RV'ers who live in Florida really NOT aware! Who'd a thunk it? Sand hole, meet head! As said, our family owns CG's in Florida and they know and know why!

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camp grounds in Florida do not close in the summer. You can't tell me that without giving names of CG's.

But people from Michigan visiting Florida in the summer stay inside in the AC all day long. Proved every time my parents come down to visit.

I do not mind the heat, and if camping, use an oscillating fan when sitting outside to blow the bugs away. I even make a campfire.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with y'all I have never saw a campground close in Florida. We stay mostly at state parks though so a private one might close but I highly doubt it. We are at Rocky Bayou right now site 10 very nice Roomy and shady site. We had a bad flying bug problem last night but the Rangers say it should go away. They were not biting bugs just flying termites. We had to go inside last night got so bad couldn't sit out side.

fla-gypsy wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
That's odd; I am 62 and have lived and camped in FL all my life and I don't know of one camp ground that closes in the summer.

It's hard to get into the state parks all summer and the ones on water book 11 months ahead.

Some of the inland central FL snowbird parks are quiet in the summer but stay open.

There are biting bugs certain places. I won't camp Sebastian Inlet because of the All Jaws.

But I don't think mosquitoes are a big problem. Most places spray and they usually only bite at sundown, then we go back out. Florida summer evenings are great; usually in the low 70's.

Worst mosquitoes and biting bugs I ever experienced was in Michigan and Minnesota. The May flies and deer flies drew blood and the skeeters were terrible.

Like I said, I welcome the summer for many reasons. Having lived here for 59 (all of my) years I have never seen a CG close in the summer for a lack of business.

me neither, campgrounds are just as busy in the summer months as they are in the winter. You still have to make reservations months ahead of time.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
That's odd; I am 62 and have lived and camped in FL all my life and I don't know of one camp ground that closes in the summer.

It's hard to get into the state parks all summer and the ones on water book 11 months ahead.

Some of the inland central FL snowbird parks are quiet in the summer but stay open.

There are biting bugs certain places. I won't camp Sebastian Inlet because of the All Jaws.

But I don't think mosquitoes are a big problem. Most places spray and they usually only bite at sundown, then we go back out. Florida summer evenings are great; usually in the low 70's.

Worst mosquitoes and biting bugs I ever experienced was in Michigan and Minnesota. The May flies and deer flies drew blood and the skeeters were terrible.

Like I said, I welcome the summer for many reasons. Having lived here for 59 (all of my) years I have never seen a CG close in the summer for a lack of business.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
However, since we winter in Florida almost on the Suwannee River close to Manatee Springs and go to Cedar Key several times, and owned a place in Florida for 19 years, let the truth be known!

We get out of there and head back north as soon as the temps get up over the low 80's there as the humidity and bugs also matches it and the un-comfort just get worse from there as the discomfort increases and almost daily rains intensifying the humidity until the next December. Quadruple YUCK! The locals also hate the heat and humidity and the swarms of bugs and biting bugs and why those who can also head north so they can breath. We have lots of family living in central and South Florida since the 1960's and they dread summer coming as all they do is hide inside in the A/C and out of the extreme heat and humidity and away from the bugs.

Not that we haven't been in Florida in the summer as we used to visit for a few weeks but learned personally and got so much smarter and won't even consider it again! Hey, the family down there still own several CG's in Florida and they know. Many Florida CG's close during the summer and the owners also even go north to escape the heat and humidity. Wonder why? Most open CG's are nearly ghost towns during the summer and fall anyway so why should they stay open and have choking electric bills from RV's 24/7 multiple A/C's running with so little revenue coming in? Losing money knowingly isn't very smart! Straight from lots of Florida CG owner's mouths!

However, lucky for full time Floridians,

Since the snowbirds are now gone, fortunately, you still in Florida can have about any site you want in the still open CG's! Note! Most of the CG's used in summer there are at flowing springs as the colder spring flowing water to emerge in is why, but you can't stay in them 24/7 all summer!

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
I haven't been to Salt Springs in about 3 years. Back then we had a 36ft MH and toad which would fit nicely on the site. Now we have a 43 mh and toad. reserveamerica says the sites are 40'. With the rear overhang, I should be able to get the MH on the site and still be on the pavement and not be hanging into the road. I had heard that a new mgmt company had taken over and were sticklers for the rules... do you think I'd have any issue there ? Would they refuse me entry due to the size of the MH ? It's great walking from the campsite to the spring and enjoying mother nature's A/C !

You'll be fine, they tend to get snippy from year to year about certain rules but I've never been unable to get along with them. The max length does not include the driveway portion in most cases. I can park my crew cab F-250 and my 32' TT with no problem on a site.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I haven't been to Salt Springs in about 3 years. Back then we had a 36ft MH and toad which would fit nicely on the site. Now we have a 43 mh and toad. reserveamerica says the sites are 40'. With the rear overhang, I should be able to get the MH on the site and still be on the pavement and not be hanging into the road. I had heard that a new mgmt company had taken over and were sticklers for the rules... do you think I'd have any issue there ? Would they refuse me entry due to the size of the MH ? It's great walking from the campsite to the spring and enjoying mother nature's A/C !
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard