cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

T-Mobile Borderless Cell Plan - is this too good to be true?

coachellacanuck
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this in Technology Corner but maybe this would have been a better forum for my question.

I am intrigued by this latest announcement from T-Mobile. I spend 6 months in Canada; 6 months in California. I have to forgo use of my Rogers Canada cellphone while in the USA and have been resorting to a "burner" phone for talk and text.

Anyone looked at this plan in detail? I just got back from talking to a T-Mobile rep and it sounds too good to be true. No contract; unlimited talk, text and data; no roaming charges on calls to Canada from the US and none on calls to the US from Canada.

US$50 per month, which is less than I pay now to Rogers. Coverage map seems to be excellent in Palm Springs, Alberta, and the corridor between the two locations.

What is wrong with this picture?
19 REPLIES 19

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
It's unlimited data, but only the first gig at 4G LTE speeds.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Unlimited hasn't matched the dictionary definition for a long time, in a great many areas.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

coachellacanuck
Explorer
Explorer
I saw that. If its "umlimited" data why is there a 1GB ceiling? Although data isn't a big concern. I barely use 1 GB now on my Canadian cellphone.

And as for their network, I have a Rogers Canada account (Windsor, Ontario) and they hand off to AT&T in the U.S. (Detroit) so I assume T-Mobile must hand off to a Canadian network as well which determines coverage in Alberta.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Read the fine print. After 1 g of data they throttle you..

Unlimited talk, text, and data while on our network in the U.S., plus in Mexico and Canada.
Up to 1GB of 4G LTE data (Speeds reduced after 1GB)

Cant stash your data everywhere

Data Stash not available for use in Canada and Mexico.

Have to use thier networks..

Unlimited talk, text and data while on our network with no overages or annual service contracts.
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing the catch is limited coverage, and the "unlimited" applies to your home area only (billing address zip most likely), despite being a plan targeted at roaming users.

That's been my experience with TMobile FKA Voicestream

This doesn't apply to data, but my AT&T GoPhone works everywhere in the USA and worked a lot of places in Canada as well (it's Euro/GSM compatible too). I pay $100/year for 1000 minutes and unlimited texting. I was not charged anything extra for usage in Canada for voice or texting.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed